• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Adventures of the Knights of Spellforge Keep

Status
Not open for further replies.

DWARF

First Post
Being unfamiliar with the Shifter class, I have to ask:

Why couldn't/didn't Gryph change into perhaps a white or silver dragon? Sure, they wouldn't be quite as strong as a red, but their breath weapon would be much more effective against the fire giants, and they wouldn't be vulnerable to the ice spells that would typically be used against said giants, right?

Last edited:

Celtavian

Dragon Lord
Re

I don't believe you change type with the shifter class . It may be a modified shifter class as I am not thoroughly familiar with the prestige class either.

I do know that the shifter ability to change is more like polymorph than shapechange. Polymorph is a great deal less potent than Shapechange. You really only gain the creatures physical statistics and mode of movement. You don't even gain their extraordinary abilities.

It may be a modified shifter though. Hopefully Doc will let us know next time he posts.

Last edited:

wolff96

First Post
The Shifter class is more like the new, errated Wildshape than anything else.

You do gain EX abilities. The only throwback to polymorph is that you can't change into something beyond your hitdice.

You don't get a breath weapon either way, so the breath weapon type doesn't matter. Breath Weapons are supernatural.

As for why Red... Probably habit. Perhaps he isn't familiar with silver dragons. Or maybe -- just maybe -- he didn't consider the fact that fire giants and red dragons would be vulnerable to the same damage type. After all, most of the more common damaging spells are fire spells...

Dr Midnight

Explorer
I'm pretty sure he chose the red dragon for its deadly attacks and flight, not for anything else.

Doug comes up with some very different concepts that are never all that simple, but he's very reliable about knowing what his character can and cannot do. I don't need to police him on anything... not like I do much policing.

If he couldn't breathe fire, the "boiling flame" part is my fault. I just threw it in for flavor. Perhaps I should edit that out...

Breakstone

First Post
Great chapter, Doc!

I loved the description of Gryph transforming into the red dragon.

More party conflict? Can't we all just get along!

And I don't trust those twin sisters...

Good luck in the game today!

Wee Jas

First Post
I take the red dragon form for combat. It has nice attacks and is scary. lol.

I have natural spell and eschrew materials.. so I actually fireballed them. I like docs description though!

Celtavian

Dragon Lord
Re

It was good detail Doc, no need to take it out.

I was actually more interested in the rule change for wild shape. It is a much more useful ability if you actually gain the extraordinary abilties and type of the new creature. I actually wanted to make a shifter myself, but read the write up and decided the shapeshifting wasn't worth giving up spell-casting ability.

Wee Jas

First Post
I wonder what the title of the next session will be? How about: Whats eating Gryph or What is big mean and eats little red dragons for breakfast?! :D

Good stuff to come!

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads