The "alien mindset" of a race

Dogbrain

First Post
Evilhalfling said:
But assume that a person was allowed to see these things, but not interact directly with them. He would also loose the ability to distiguish between worlds. He would be forever hiding, talking to things that weren't there and trying to walk through walls. Functionally insane -

Not in the least. He would merely be socially dysfunctional. There is a great deal of difference between mental illness and eccentricity, no matter what idiot pop psychologist like Dr. Phil and his slackjawed fanboys might have us believe. Indeed, it would be his RESPONSE to his situation that would ultimately determine whether or not he was mentally ill. If he manages to compartmentalize and explain his condition (what we often are taught is a mature and adaptive response)--and you might be astonished at just how well we can compartmentalize if we have enough impetus--he could be hailed as a great discoverer. If, on the other hand, he starts screaming "SHUT UP" at nothing (what we often are taught is an immature and maladaptive response), then he would be judge mentally ill.

Thus, it would not come down to his knowledge but how he RESPONDED to that knowledge.

If you want to play silly games and insist that such a situation MUST FORCE someone to act maladaptively, I will demand hard evidence for your claim of absolute compulsion.

Incenjucar

Legend
Dogbrain said:
Actually, in your case, it would be "Randi".

Heh.

And this was incontrovertible proof of your fate? What kept it from bothering you? I'll tell you: Specifically because you do NOT consider it to be true. Thus, your response is a cheap dodge, no disproof at all.

As I said before, fear and sensory overload -would- still be factors. I'm sure if I had that proof, I'd lose my bowels, curl up in a ball, and start shivering. But that's not -insanity-, that's just overwhelming fear. -Normal- torture will give you that sort of reaction.

Remove ads