• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Anarchic Mug

Thurbane

First Post
A local adventurers tavern with a hook: the inn is named after a minor artifact, kept on the premises.

The Anarchic Mug has only one magical prooperty: it can randomly alter one ability of a character who drinks from it. When the character drinks from the mug, roll 1d6:
1 - STR
2 - DEX
3 - CON
4 - INT
5 - WIS
6 - CHA
Then roll another d6: odds, the character gets a +4 enhancement bonus to that ability for 24 hours (as per the Bull's Strength etc spell) for 24 hours. Evens, the character takes a -4 penalty (1 minimum) to the ablity for 24 hours - only a Remove Curse or more powerful spell can end this prematurely.

The innkeeper charges patrons 50gp to drink from the mug, which will only function on a particular creature 1/day. The mug is chained to the bar on a thin adamantine chain to prevent theft. The innkeeper is an ex-adventurer himself, and is used to dealing with unruly patrons who try to take their money back after a "bad" result from the mug.

istockphoto_1236841_beer_mug_vector.jpg

======

Any thoughts, comments or criticisms of this concept? Is +4/-4 too lmuch? Is 24 hours too long? 50gp too cheap?

Last edited:

Pale Master

First Post
If that were a real bar - I'd do it. I'd go once a week, if I could reasonably afford it. Who wouldn't want to spend a few hours with a few more points of charisma, or a few less wisdom?

[Actually, that's mostly why people go to bars anyway, isn't it?]

But it would certainly provide an interesting roleplaying challenge. "Would my wizard have been a priest if he had more Wisdom?" - that sort of thing. Might be more interesting in this regard if it worked by subtracting 4 points from a random score and then reassigning them to a random score. That way nobody gets a flat "bonus" or "penalty" per se.

Last edited:

RichGreen

Adventurer
Pale Master said:
Might be more interesting in this regard if it worked by subtracting 4 points from a random score and then reassigning them to a random score. That way nobody gets a flat "bonus" or "penalty" per se.

I think this is a good suggestion. I love the idea of the mug though - we need more interesting taverns and inns!

Cheers

Richard

Thurbane

First Post
DreadPirateMurphy said:
What happens if you drink a potion of bull's strength from the mug?
Enhancement bonuses wouldn't stack...

...I also like the idea of +4 to one ability and -4 to another. :D

Remove ads