The Anarchic Mug

Thurbane

First Post
A local adventurers tavern with a hook: the inn is named after a minor artifact, kept on the premises.

The Anarchic Mug has only one magical prooperty: it can randomly alter one ability of a character who drinks from it. When the character drinks from the mug, roll 1d6:
1 - STR
2 - DEX
3 - CON
4 - INT
5 - WIS
6 - CHA
Then roll another d6: odds, the character gets a +4 enhancement bonus to that ability for 24 hours (as per the Bull's Strength etc spell) for 24 hours. Evens, the character takes a -4 penalty (1 minimum) to the ablity for 24 hours - only a Remove Curse or more powerful spell can end this prematurely.

The innkeeper charges patrons 50gp to drink from the mug, which will only function on a particular creature 1/day. The mug is chained to the bar on a thin adamantine chain to prevent theft. The innkeeper is an ex-adventurer himself, and is used to dealing with unruly patrons who try to take their money back after a "bad" result from the mug.

istockphoto_1236841_beer_mug_vector.jpg

======

Any thoughts, comments or criticisms of this concept? Is +4/-4 too lmuch? Is 24 hours too long? 50gp too cheap?

Last edited:

Pale Master

First Post
If that were a real bar - I'd do it. I'd go once a week, if I could reasonably afford it. Who wouldn't want to spend a few hours with a few more points of charisma, or a few less wisdom?

[Actually, that's mostly why people go to bars anyway, isn't it?]

But it would certainly provide an interesting roleplaying challenge. "Would my wizard have been a priest if he had more Wisdom?" - that sort of thing. Might be more interesting in this regard if it worked by subtracting 4 points from a random score and then reassigning them to a random score. That way nobody gets a flat "bonus" or "penalty" per se.

Last edited:

RichGreen

Adventurer
Pale Master said:
Might be more interesting in this regard if it worked by subtracting 4 points from a random score and then reassigning them to a random score. That way nobody gets a flat "bonus" or "penalty" per se.

I think this is a good suggestion. I love the idea of the mug though - we need more interesting taverns and inns!

Cheers

Richard

Thurbane

First Post
DreadPirateMurphy said:
What happens if you drink a potion of bull's strength from the mug?
Enhancement bonuses wouldn't stack...

...I also like the idea of +4 to one ability and -4 to another. :D

Remove ads