The Archetypal Necromancer PrC

Azaar

Explorer
I originally posted this at the WoTC forum boards under their Prestige Class forum. Figured I'd give it a shot here and see what everyone thinks (again... did it once before, but with the server changes here at ENWorld, I figured I'd repost it and see what happens).

One thing almost immediately noticeable in 3rd Edition D&D, at least to those interested in the spellcasting classes (and the arcane classes such as wizards and sorcerers in particular), is the reliance upon clerical ability for necromancers to hold the same potential power they possessed in 2nd Edition AD&D (augmented by the Complete Book of Necromancers supplement). The arcane necromancer, by and large, does not exist in any real form in 3rd Edition D&D.

Sure, Tome & Blood has the Pale Master and True Necromancer prestige classes. Both, however, have their own frustrations that prevent them from attaining their true potential. The Pale Master, despite only requiring arcane spellcasting ability, has requirements that don't truly fit the prestige class, such as Knowledge (Religion), not to mention the feat requirement of Skill Focus upon the Knowledge (Religion) skill. The True Necromancer is too reliant upon clerical spellcasting ability to really count, and seems more to be a variant cleric prestige class for those who want a smattering of arcane spellcasting ability to augment their already formidable clerical spellcasting power.

What's needed, then, is a prestige class for wizards (and sorcerers, although they have their own unique handicaps and perks to make their lives more interesting) that allow solely for arcane spellcasting ability and power, but also gives some of the clerical spellcasting power to them in creating undead and greater undead without the utter reliance on multi-classing as a cleric, as well as other forms of animation (such as animate dead or the creation of golems) that make necromancers to be feared.

As such, I've taken the liberty of creating a new necromancer prestige class, one perfect for creating villainous NPC necromancers, especially of the greater undead variety such as liches and vampires. All comments and constructive criticism is welcome and encouraged, although I'll warn you ahead of time that this is my first attempt at creating a PrC. :)

And so, in homage to the 2nd Edition Complete Book of Necromancers supplement, I give you...

The Archetypal Necromancer

Loknar stepped into his laboratory, where a couple of zombies dutifully unloaded the latest supply of corpses from a graveyard nearly a day's journey to the north. His cold, unfeeling eyes swept over the entire laboratory... over the flesh golem, a work still in progress... in a small pen was another corpse, turning into a ghastly shade of blue as the ghoul gauntlet spell he had cast upon the hapless adventurer shortly before his death worked its' magic... so many experiments in necromancy. And this was only the beginning...

The footfalls behind him alerted Loknar to the approach of another being. He turned, nodding towards the shadowed doorway. The being, cloaked in shadow, nodded back silently, then stepped forward into the torchlight, a feral smile apparent. "Soon, all will be in readiness for you, Master Loknar."

Loknar nodded absently. "Good... you have a snack waiting for you in the last pen on the left wall. Try to keep from harming the body too much, though... the last one you fed on was nearly worthless to be reanimated because of the damage you caused."

The associate nodded, the smile growing more feral, if possible, especially when his fangs lengthened. Loknar, remembering to check on another experiment involving his research and study into the secrets of vampirism and lichdom, moved over to another part of the laboratory as his vampire associate began to feed, amid the fearful screams of the soon-to-be corpse.

Necromancy has always carried with it certain stigmas, whether social, academic, or religious in nature. Despite this, scholars of the arcane still insist on studying this mysterious (and frightfully perilous) field of arcane study. Some who study it find that there is more powerful than might be expected, but at a much higher cost than they are prepared to pay for it. Yet, some do pay for it... and then they discover that while power corrupts, it also fuels the drive to attain more and more power in search of those ancient secrets of immortality... and of undeath.

As such, the Archetypal Necromancer is an avid arcane scholar of the Black Arts, using the power he gains through necromancy to control the undead as he wishes, as well as creating various forms of undead and binding spirits through necromancy into other forms (such as golems). This particular realm of arcane study is, admittedly, limited to the arcane spellcasters, but then again, those without arcane spellcasting ability have little use for this prestige class.

Requirements

Alignment: Any non-good

Arcane spellcasting ability of at least third level (with a minimum of seven spells learned from the school of Necromancy).

Alchemy - 6 ranks
Knowledge (Anatomy) OR Heal - 6 ranks
Knowledge (Arcana) - 8 ranks
Knowledge (Undead) - 8 ranks

Feats: Spell Focus (Necromancy) and Skill Focus (Knowledge (Undead))

Special Requirement: Must specialize in the school of Necromancy (wizard only; sorcerers may disregard this special requirement).

Class abilities are Alchemy (Int), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Heal (Wis), Knowledge (all) (Int), Profession (Wis), and Spellcraft (Int).

Skill Points at Each Level: 2 + Intelligence modifier

Hit Dice Per Level: D4

Base Attack Bonus

1st Level - +0
2nd Level - +1
3rd Level - +1
4th Level - +2
5th Level - +2
6th Level - +3
7th Level - +3
8th Level - +4
9th Level - +4
10th Level - +5

Saving Throws (Fort/Ref/Will)

1st Level - +0/+0/+2
2nd Level - +0/+0/+3
3rd Level - +1/+1/+3
4th Level - +1/+1/+4
5th Level - +1/+1/+4
6th Level - +2/+2/+5
7th Level - +2/+2/+5
8th Level - +2/+2/+6
9th Level - +3/+3/+6
10th Level - +3/+3/+7

Special Abilities

1st-10th Levels - +1 to existing spellcasting level (caster level only -- does not, however, gain special abilities given by said spellcasting class, such as the bonus feats from the Wizard class); increase in spells per day as per advancement in arcane spellcasting level/class.

1st Level - Rebuke Undead, Animate Dead
2nd Level - Zone of Desecration
4rd Level - Create Undead
5th Level - Major Desecration
7th Level - Create Greater Undead
8th Level - Deathless Mastery/Deathless Master Touch
10th Level - Lichdom Secrets

Turn/Rebuke Undead - The Archetypal Necromancer may rebuke undead as a cleric of the same level as the character's current level in the Archetypal Necromancer prestige class. While lacking the raw power of a true cleric in terms of their capability in rebuking undead, they still find themselves with a better 'mastery' over undead than the usual wizard. This ability may be used a number of times equal to 3 + Charisma modifier per day.

Animate Dead -- As the 5th level wizard/sorcerer spell. This is a spell-like ability, usable once per day.

Zone of Desecration - Centered around the Archetypal Necromancer, this field of negative energy extends in a 20 ft. radius at all times, with effects identical to the desecration spell. This is a supernatural ability.

Create Undead - Identical to the fourth-level clerical spell of the same name, usable once per day as a spell-like ability. Materials must still be provided.

Major Desecration - The zone of desecration increases in radius 10ft. per prestige class level.

Create Greater Undead - Identical to the seventh-level clerical spell of the same name, usable once per day as a spell-like ability. Materials (if any) are still required.

Deathless Mastery - At 8th level, the Archetypal Necromancer gains two new abilities, summed under Deathless Mastery, thanks to the unwavering dedication the Archetypal Necromancer has shown in pursuing his study of the Black Arts. He may be served constantly by an undead thrall with total HD no greater than their caster level (arcane spellcasting level plus current levels in the Archetypal Necromancer prestige class). He chooses his undead vassal from his current capability to personally raise, and it serves him loyally. The undead vassal gains +4 turn resistance, and its' HD do not count towards the Archetypal Necromancer's total HD for controlling undead. He also gains the Deathless Master Touch: The live target, which must be of Large size or smaller, must make a save against DC 17 or be slain instantly. Creatures so killed automatically reanimate one round later under the Archetypal Necromancer's control, as per the animate dead spell. Undead created as a result of this ability do not count against total HD for controlling undead.

Lichdom Secrets - At 10th level, the Archetypal Necromancer learns the secrets and rituals that lead to Lichdom. This does not mean, however, that the Archetypal Necromancer must become a lich, only that the PC knows the process to attain lichdom (as well as knowing the secret processes and rituals associated with creating the phylactery). That decision is left to the DM. If the DM allows it, then the Archetypal Necromancer may gain access to the Lich template as described in the Monster Manual.

Comments, suggestions, etc.? If anyone's interested in possibly giving this a go and play-testing it, feel free. The only thing I ask in return is that you report your findings and tell me what you think. :)

Crothian

First Post
It seems fairly balanced and is not to bad. Mongoose has a great book:Necromancy that covers this whole school of magic in pretty good detail. It has some very interesting feats and prestige classes that you might also like.

Azaar

Explorer
If only I could find it... I've heard Necromancy: Beyond the Grave is extremely good, but I have yet to be able to find it anywhere. I've found Hollowfaust at one place, but am currently holding off on it because I'm not really sure I want it. But hopefully at some point I can find it at a gaming shop and peruse it.

Acmite

First Post
What'sthe caster level for the special abilities like Animate and Create Undead? Archetypal Level? Wizard + PrC level?

I would assume the latter, but it is not clearly stated in the text....not that I could see, anyway.

My only concern with this class involves the lack of checks and balances. It isn't a big deal, but clerics all have some ethos that they must ascribe to based on their chosen deity (actually this is true even for deity-less clerics). This helps guide the cleric and mitigate the damage, so to speak. They have to account for interests other than their own.

A wizard with these clerical spells does not need to consider the desires of any other(s) when raising undead legions. As such, you've made this class more "versatile" for lack of a better word, than a multiclass of Cleric and Wizard, even if the latter was a higher level.

It may not affect game balance in your campaign, but it might be something to consider. That, and there may be some gods who aren't happy that the non-devout are playing with "advanced" undead. ;)

Azaar

Explorer
Wizard + PrC level, insofar as determining the caster level for animate dead and the create undead/create greater undead.

I can, admittedly, make those spells subject to arcane spell failure as a potential balancing act, but what would be the use, since anyone worth his salt won't wear armor and remove the arcane spell failure chance anyway, unless I make a flat arcane spell failure percentage chance in which the spell fails, as well as make it take up a spell slot in the daily preparation. That is something to consider, especially given a suggestion at the WOTC forums wherein I add the necromantic clerical spells as arcane spells... could add +1 level insofar as determining the spell level (create undead being a 7th level spell instead of 6th level as it is for clerics, for example), and make it not only count as one of your daily prepared spell slots, but also give them a straight arcane spell failure penalty, armor or no armor.

Otherwise, as to it being more 'versatile'... I disagree. Once per day at best, as opposed to a cleric capable of four casts per day (five, if you're Death domain) when creating intelligent undead and focusing on nothing else... doesn't begin to compete, and I won't even go into using higher spell slots for the clerics in determining just how many times each of the create undead/create greater undead spells can be cast by a cleric concentrating solely on creating undead. This isn't about making a PrC that can out-do the cleric... something that every WOTC forum nay-sayer (who all, without fail, admitted to being cleric players) tried and failed to prove. The Archetypal Necromancer can't (and shouldn't) compete against a cleric (let alone a Death domain cleric) and expect to win. It won't happen. That sort of comparison isn't the focal point of this PrC, and I admit to some surprise at how many choose to automatically compare it to clerics (who have their own balance problems to begin with, from what I've seen and read) and then complain because I give this PrC two whole cleric spells, each castable only once per day, and neither one of them available until higher levels of the PrC.

I mean, let's face it: arcane necromancers got hosed. Between 2nd edition AD&D and 3E, they lost quite a few spells that had previously been a part of their arcane school. Most of the spell additions (Tome of Magic, Complete Book of Necromancers, Complete Book of Wizards)... tossed. The 3E PHB necromancy spells are a hodge-podge of most of the weaker necromancy spells that were listed in the various books concerning spells in 2nd edition. True, there are some good ones, but those are rarities... exceptions rather than the rule. There are also the 3E conversion attempts of the Complete Book of Wizards and the Complete Book of Necromancers, but how many people are actually going to use the conversions? Not many, in all likelihood.

Like I've said from the beginning... this PrC is an attempt to re-capture the feel of the 2nd edition necromancers. Whether it succeeds or not is a question that can't really be answered until it's playtested. But I just find it ironic that I (and quite a few other arcane spellcasting PrC creators) get hit with our PrCs not subscribing to the 'checks and balances' of another person, while I read clerical PrC creations (or monk, or most any other class, mind you, but clerics tend to stick out the worst in my mind) that are so ridiculously overpowered it isn't funny, yet they're being lauded as some of the best PrCs on the 'Net.

Last edited:

I originally posted this at the WoTC forum boards under their Prestige Class forum. Figured I'd give it a shot here and see what everyone thinks (again... did it once before, but with the server changes here at ENWorld, I figured I'd repost it and see what happens).

One thing almost immediately noticeable in 3rd Edition D&D, at least to those interested in the spellcasting classes (and the arcane classes such as wizards and sorcerers in particular), is the reliance upon clerical ability for necromancers to hold the same potential power they possessed in 2nd Edition AD&D (augmented by the Complete Book of Necromancers supplement). The arcane necromancer, by and large, does not exist in any real form in 3rd Edition D&D.

Sure, Tome & Blood has the Pale Master and True Necromancer prestige classes. Both, however, have their own frustrations that prevent them from attaining their true potential. The Pale Master, despite only requiring arcane spellcasting ability, has requirements that don't truly fit the prestige class, such as Knowledge (Religion), not to mention the feat requirement of Skill Focus upon the Knowledge (Religion) skill. The True Necromancer is too reliant upon clerical spellcasting ability to really count, and seems more to be a variant cleric prestige class for those who want a smattering of arcane spellcasting ability to augment their already formidable clerical spellcasting power.

What's needed, then, is a prestige class for wizards (and sorcerers, although they have their own unique handicaps and perks to make their lives more interesting) that allow solely for arcane spellcasting ability and power, but also gives some of the clerical spellcasting power to them in creating undead and greater undead without the utter reliance on multi-classing as a cleric, as well as other forms of animation (such as animate dead or the creation of golems) that make necromancers to be feared.

As such, I've taken the liberty of creating a new necromancer prestige class, one perfect for creating villainous NPC necromancers, especially of the greater undead variety such as liches and vampires. All comments and constructive criticism is welcome and encouraged, although I'll warn you ahead of time that this is my first attempt at creating a PrC. :)

And so, in homage to the 2nd Edition Complete Book of Necromancers supplement, I give you...

The Archetypal Necromancer

Loknar stepped into his laboratory, where a couple of zombies dutifully unloaded the latest supply of corpses from a graveyard nearly a day's journey to the north. His cold, unfeeling eyes swept over the entire laboratory... over the flesh golem, a work still in progress... in a small pen was another corpse, turning into a ghastly shade of blue as the ghoul gauntlet spell he had cast upon the hapless adventurer shortly before his death worked its' magic... so many experiments in necromancy. And this was only the beginning...

The footfalls behind him alerted Loknar to the approach of another being. He turned, nodding towards the shadowed doorway. The being, cloaked in shadow, nodded back silently, then stepped forward into the torchlight, a feral smile apparent. "Soon, all will be in readiness for you, Master Loknar."

Loknar nodded absently. "Good... you have a snack waiting for you in the last pen on the left wall. Try to keep from harming the body too much, though... the last one you fed on was nearly worthless to be reanimated because of the damage you caused."

The associate nodded, the smile growing more feral, if possible, especially when his fangs lengthened. Loknar, remembering to check on another experiment involving his research and study into the secrets of vampirism and lichdom, moved over to another part of the laboratory as his vampire associate began to feed, amid the fearful screams of the soon-to-be corpse.

Necromancy has always carried with it certain stigmas, whether social, academic, or religious in nature. Despite this, scholars of the arcane still insist on studying this mysterious (and frightfully perilous) field of arcane study. Some who study it find that there is more powerful than might be expected, but at a much higher cost than they are prepared to pay for it. Yet, some do pay for it... and then they discover that while power corrupts, it also fuels the drive to attain more and more power in search of those ancient secrets of immortality... and of undeath.

As such, the Archetypal Necromancer is an avid arcane scholar of the Black Arts, using the power he gains through necromancy to control the undead as he wishes, as well as creating various forms of undead and binding spirits through necromancy into other forms (such as golems). This particular realm of arcane study is, admittedly, limited to the arcane spellcasters, but then again, those without arcane spellcasting ability have little use for this prestige class.

Requirements

Alignment: Any non-good

Arcane spellcasting ability of at least third level (with a minimum of seven spells learned from the school of Necromancy).

Alchemy - 6 ranks
Knowledge (Anatomy) OR Heal - 6 ranks
Knowledge (Arcana) - 8 ranks
Knowledge (Undead) - 8 ranks

Feats: Spell Focus (Necromancy) and Skill Focus (Knowledge (Undead))

Special Requirement: Must specialize in the school of Necromancy (wizard only; sorcerers may disregard this special requirement).

Class abilities are Alchemy (Int), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Heal (Wis), Knowledge (all) (Int), Profession (Wis), and Spellcraft (Int).

Skill Points at Each Level: 2 + Intelligence modifier

Hit Dice Per Level: D4

Base Attack Bonus

1st Level - +0
2nd Level - +1
3rd Level - +1
4th Level - +2
5th Level - +2
6th Level - +3
7th Level - +3
8th Level - +4
9th Level - +4
10th Level - +5

Saving Throws (Fort/Ref/Will)

1st Level - +0/+0/+2
2nd Level - +0/+0/+3
3rd Level - +1/+1/+3
4th Level - +1/+1/+4
5th Level - +1/+1/+4
6th Level - +2/+2/+5
7th Level - +2/+2/+5
8th Level - +2/+2/+6
9th Level - +3/+3/+6
10th Level - +3/+3/+7

Special Abilities

1st-10th Levels - +1 to existing spellcasting level (caster level only -- does not, however, gain special abilities given by said spellcasting class, such as the bonus feats from the Wizard class); increase in spells per day as per advancement in arcane spellcasting level/class.

1st Level - Rebuke Undead, Animate Dead
2nd Level - Zone of Desecration
4rd Level - Create Undead
5th Level - Major Desecration
7th Level - Create Greater Undead
8th Level - Deathless Mastery/Deathless Master Touch
10th Level - Lichdom Secrets

Turn/Rebuke Undead - The Archetypal Necromancer may rebuke undead as a cleric of the same level as the character's current level in the Archetypal Necromancer prestige class. While lacking the raw power of a true cleric in terms of their capability in rebuking undead, they still find themselves with a better 'mastery' over undead than the usual wizard. This ability may be used a number of times equal to 3 + Charisma modifier per day.

Animate Dead -- As the 5th level wizard/sorcerer spell. This is a spell-like ability, usable once per day.

Zone of Desecration - Centered around the Archetypal Necromancer, this field of negative energy extends in a 20 ft. radius at all times, with effects identical to the desecration spell. This is a supernatural ability.

Create Undead - Identical to the fourth-level clerical spell of the same name, usable once per day as a spell-like ability. Materials must still be provided.

Major Desecration - The zone of desecration increases in radius 10ft. per prestige class level.

Create Greater Undead - Identical to the seventh-level clerical spell of the same name, usable once per day as a spell-like ability. Materials (if any) are still required.

Deathless Mastery - At 8th level, the Archetypal Necromancer gains two new abilities, summed under Deathless Mastery, thanks to the unwavering dedication the Archetypal Necromancer has shown in pursuing his study of the Black Arts. He may be served constantly by an undead thrall with total HD no greater than their caster level (arcane spellcasting level plus current levels in the Archetypal Necromancer prestige class). He chooses his undead vassal from his current capability to personally raise, and it serves him loyally. The undead vassal gains +4 turn resistance, and its' HD do not count towards the Archetypal Necromancer's total HD for controlling undead. He also gains the Deathless Master Touch: The live target, which must be of Large size or smaller, must make a save against DC 17 or be slain instantly. Creatures so killed automatically reanimate one round later under the Archetypal Necromancer's control, as per the animate dead spell. Undead created as a result of this ability do not count against total HD for controlling undead.

Lichdom Secrets - At 10th level, the Archetypal Necromancer learns the secrets and rituals that lead to Lichdom. This does not mean, however, that the Archetypal Necromancer must become a lich, only that the PC knows the process to attain lichdom (as well as knowing the secret processes and rituals associated with creating the phylactery). That decision is left to the DM. If the DM allows it, then the Archetypal Necromancer may gain access to the Lich template as described in the Monster Manual.

Comments, suggestions, etc.? If anyone's interested in possibly giving this a go and play-testing it, feel free. The only thing I ask in return is that you report your findings and tell me what you think. :)
Awesome. Consider this snagged. :)

Remove ads