The Band of Four (The Village of Oester)

Tharhack takes over for Rillkep, who has stabilized Rebrey. Tharhack sets Rebrey's arm and uses all but one of his cure spells on Rebrey. Tharhack helps Rebrey sit up, and makes sure his arm is functional.

"Did we win?" Rebrey asks

"Oh yes, yes we did." Tharhack replies. He helps Rebrey to his feet and surveys the street.

Rillkep had gone over to Xanoniel while Tharhack was working on Rebrey, he noticed that there was still breath coming from Xanoniel's mouth.

"Thorhick. No um Tharhuck. She's still alive!" Rillkep shouts almost jumping out of his pants.

Tharhack and Rebrey attend to Xanoniel. Noting that she seems to have managed to pull through the injury on her own, and decides to not use his last cure minor on her. He does however advise Rillkep that she needs to be moved indoors and out of the cold and rain.

"We'll use that house there." Rillkep says pointing at the house on the left side of the street. "That's Forry's, he's a good guy, she'll be safe there."

The three of them help move Xanoniel inside Forry's, Tharhack and Rillkep then return to the soggy street, leaving Rebrey to watch over Xanoniel.

Tharhack goes over to Okag's body, retrieves the gem from the mud and turns over Okag's body.

"What are you going to do with... him." Rillkep asks while pointing at Okag.

"Loot him. Then make s'mores over his roasting corpse. Why was there something you wanted to do with him?" Tharhack replies

"Uh, move him off the street, and you can't have any of my chocolate." Rillkep answers

"Fair enough. Although I think you should keep the head." Tharhack offers

"Why would I want that?" Rillkep asks

"Well, the town thinks it was a demon, They're going to be mighty scared of returning if they think their lives are in danger. Turns out it was just a wimpy ogre that enunciates well, so I think you should keep the head as a trophy. After all you helped kill it, the townsfolk are going to feel much safer knowing their safety is in good hands." Tharhack tells Rillkep.

Rillkep thinks it over, and remembers Tharhack choking him, then escaping from jail, then twisting the ogre's head off with his bare hands, and decides that Tharhack's idea sounds great.

Tharhack rummages through Okag's pockets and pouches, turning up two potion flasks, some gold, and some silver. Tharhack then turns his attentions to what Okag was wearing, and removes a very nice ring from Okag's finger, a gold bracer on each arm, and a chain shirt.

Rillkep goes to Wilby's body and kneels in the soft street, and quietly weeps.

2 hours later.........

Tharhack and Rillkep have moved Okag's, both halves of Balrin and Wilby to the open field between the shrine and the wheat. Tharhack begins to build a pyre, then throw Okag and Balrin on the fire. Rillkep takes Wilby's body to the graveyard himself, and begins to dig Wilby's grave himself.

Opee find Tharhack and lets him know that most of the Hamlet has been informed of the situation, and that it's safe to return. He tells Tharhack that only one house was destroyed, however three children were lost in the blaze. He asks Tharhack if he could speak to the father who is devastated. Tharhack tells him he would be happy to, as soon as he finds Alriand and has several words with her.

"She's with Rebrey and Xanoniel, I saw her just a minute ago." Opee states

"Really?" Tharhack answers as he turns to head back into the Hamlet

"What are you going to do now?" Opee asks

"Talk to Alriand, I need a marshmallow for my s'more, and she would fit nicely. Then I will see the father of those children, I promise." Tharhack replies

Tharhack spots Alriand leaving the house where Xanoniel is recuperating. He hustles up behind her, turning to face him Alriand gets out a "hello" before Tharhack grabs her by the neck and slams her into the house.

"What manner of death did you bring upon us?" Tharhack demands

"I don't know what you're talking about." Alriand replies

"Don't offer me your half truths and understatements, this carnage could've been avoided." Tharhack answers "I want to know who you've ticked off this time, I'm not going to be killed because of what you don't tell me."

"Well, there's lots of people it could be, you'll have to be more specific." Alriand says

"Old lady, sorcerer, wants you dead. Close enough?" Tharhack asks

"Mom?" Alriand asks

"Don't be stupid. She wants you to meet her tonight." Tharhack relates the directions to Alriand.

"I'm busy tonight, tell her next week is better." Alriand answers

"You have two choices, mine or hers. Please pick mine." Tharhack says as he flexes his muscles while getting a better grip around Alriand's neck.

"I choose my foot." Alriand states as she kicks Tharhack in the groin dropping the big man like a sack of potatoes. "I make my own path, not one dictated by you. I also think we need to cut off your steroids, they're making your marble shrink."

Tharhack didn't pay attention to where Alriand left to, he concentrated on not throwing up. Finally making it up to his feet, Tharhack enters the home and calls out for Rebrey.

"I had some time to study this liquid while I was tending to the pyre." Tharhack says holding up a flask with a thick red liquid in it. "I think this will help your arm heal fully, much better than I could do."

Taking the bottle from Tharhack, Rebrey sniffs it and pulls back from the smell. "Smells like orc sweat. This'll probably make me so delusional that I'll think my arm is fine."

"Trust me, it'll work." Tharhack responds, leaving Rebrey and going to check on Xanoniel who's still resting.

Rebrey hesitates for a moment before downing the entire bottle. Gagging at the bitterness of the stuff, Rebrey doesn't notice the faint yellow glow around his arm as the bone completely heals itself at the break. Tharhack returns to Rebrey and shows him his healed arm, elated Rebrey offers to help Tharhack round up Alriand.

Returning to the street, Tharhack and Rebrey see the halflings cleaning up the debris left from the battle, even in the dark, cold and rainy night.

"I feel sorry for them, it's not been an easy week." Rebrey remarks

"True, but they will be better for it, and Rillkep has overcome whatever fear was holding him back. I think this village is in much better hands now than they were even two days ago." Tharhack answers

"What now then?" Rebrey asks

"We need to make sure whatever Alriand threw on us is dealt with, Then we need to decide what to do with her. Let her go or put a tighter leash on her." Tharhack responds

"What about the Hamlet? How long should we stay?" Rebrey asks

"Not long, I think the sooner they get back to normal the better, that will only be hindered by our presence." Tharhack answers

"I'd like to asks Xanoniel to join us." Rebrey states

"I'm sure that's not all you'd like to ask her." Tharhack replies

"Um, no I uh think her talents could be of some us to us." Rebrey stammers

"Have you ever traveled with a druid? First they talk to the squirrels, then they become a squirrel, they ain't right in the head. They're not normal." Tharhack states

"You're not normal. Besides, you have to admit that she did help defeat the ogre along with Rillkep. I just think we should ask that's all." Rebrey says

"Fine we'll ask." Tharhack says "Now where could that elf have gone?"

Tharhack and Rebrey walk past the pyre and turn to look back at the Hamlet, the bright orange glow of the fire behind them. They fail to notice a lone figure making it's way northeast away from the Hamlet and towards the tree line.

Alriand however sees Tharhack and Rebrey clearly outlined by the glow from the fire, she however fails to see the pair of watching eyes peering out from the underbrush of the tree line.

Ed Cha

Community Supporter
Hairy Minotaur said:
Rillkep thinks it over, and remembers Tharhack choking him, then escaping from jail, then twisting the ogre's head off with his bare hands, and decides that Tharhack's idea sounds great.

LOL. I would, too. :)

By the way, how did you handle the d20 mechanics for Alriand kicking Tharhack in the groin and then not seeing which way she went? Was it an unarmed strike and then a Spot vs. Hide check? Was it a critical hit that caused him to drop, a called shot, or just DM creativity?

Also, whose house burnt down? I guess we're going to find out soon though, eh?

Ed Cha said:
LOL. I would, too. :)

By the way, how did you handle the d20 mechanics for Alriand kicking Tharhack in the groin and then not seeing which way she went? Was it an unarmed strike and then a Spot vs. Hide check? Was it a critical hit that caused him to drop, a called shot, or just DM creativity?

Also, whose house burnt down? I guess we're going to find out soon though, eh?

She made a called shot, then rolled a crit (2 20's in a row I was impressed). Having seen plenty of groin shots from playing flag football, you have about 30 seconds of nauseating pain, and another 20-30 seconds before you even try to get off the ground. That's all Alriand needed to get to the other side of the street and slip behind a house. Tharhack's player didn't even bother as his spot's not good compared to Alriand's hide.

as for the burned house, that will be in tonight's update so I'll leave it for that. :)

Ed Cha

Community Supporter
Hairy Minotaur said:
Having seen plenty of groin shots from playing flag football, you have about 30 seconds of nauseating pain, and another 20-30 seconds before you even try to get off the ground.

Wow, 20-30 seconds is like 3-5 rounds in D&D combat. That's a killer paralysis effect. I wish these kinds of mechanics were explained somewhere, but I also wonder how realistic combat would affect the d20 system overall. I guess we're dealing with non-combat maneuvers in this case though.

Ed Cha said:
Wow, 20-30 seconds is like 3-5 rounds in D&D combat. That's a killer paralysis effect. I wish these kinds of mechanics were explained somewhere, but I also wonder how realistic combat would affect the d20 system overall. I guess we're dealing with non-combat maneuvers in this case though.

Yes, Maybe someone should come out with option rules like that..................

Ed Cha

Community Supporter
Hairy Minotaur said:
Yes, Maybe someone should come out with option rules like that..................

LOL. That's a big undertaking and most likely someone will beat me to the punch like the names book. :p

Ed Cha said:
LOL. That's a big undertaking and most likely someone will beat me to the punch like the names book. :p

Maybe Jon Potter will read this and let me know if he got the folder I sent him, and what he thought. I could always add it on to that. maybe anybody else reading this S.H. can chime in with requests?

Tharhack and Rebrey meet up with Opee, who takes them to the burned house. It's the most northwest house in Thumble. A small crowd has gathered around the charred husk. A male and female halfling are sobbing near the structure while a dozen or so children gather around them in a close knot.

"This is the house of Gabbo and Meribee. They lost their two eldest children, when they went back inside the burning house thinking that the two youngest were still inside." Opee explains.

"Is there some place for the family to stay?" Tharhack asks

"Not yet, they weren't exactly the most liked in town. Plus they have the largest family in Thumble." Opee answers

"Well, I think you should get on that, large numbers do not lessen the loss." Tharhack replies "I will go speak with family, Rebrey I think you should find Rillkep and take him to where Balrin was staying. I have no doubt you'll find some interesting things there."

Rebrey agrees and goes off to locate Rillkep, who's still at the graveyard.

Alriand continues her walk to the northwest, admiring the jeweled hilt of a dagger she lifted from Dairgren's house, She pulls her cloak closer to her as the temperature has dropped enough to cause snow to begin falling from the sky along with the rain. She hopes this witch of the woods is loaded with gold when Alriand gets her second chance at killing her.

Rebrey waits until Rillkep has said all he can for Wilby, consoling him for while before asking Rillkep to accompany him to the house Balrin was staying at.

"You think there's something there of importance?" Rillkep asks

"Tharhack thinks Balrin was a common thief with an uncommon plan. I think Tharhack believes that he was robbing the Hamlet blind." Rebrey answers

Rillkep nods and the two head off to see what they can find what Balrin left behind.

Alriand walks into the forest, and after walking for about an hour, almost forgets there's supposed to be a crazed old hag out here waiting for Alriand to show up. Alriand stops in her tracks and listens to the wind carry the shouts and curses of someone north of Alriand. The voice sounds very upset, eager to get this over with quickly, Alriand creeps up to the edge of a small clearing. Peering out into the clearing, Alriand can see the silhouette of the witch she faced a couple of days ago. The woman curses aloud about the tardiness of Alriand and how she'll show her what pain is. Holding back a giggle, Alriand waits until The witch has turned her back to Alriand while ranting, then lets her dagger fly.

Jon Potter

First Post
Sorry, HM! I haven't had time to give your wound rules more than a cursory glance. As I said earlier, I just got Bastion Press' "Torn Asunder" and I've been really focusing on those rules. What I didn't mention was that I also picked up Badaxe Games' "Heroes of High Favor: Halflings" and that my players just bought me the 3.5 core rule books! I've got a pretty full plate just now.

Anywho, FWIW, the halfling book has rules for alternate uses for rogue's Sneak Attack damage. One of those choices, called Nauseating Strike, replicates Alriand's abuse of Tharhack's junk. Here's a snippet:

"With a boot to the jewels, a fist to the gut, or a pommel to the temple, the rogue attempts to leave his opponent weak and nauseated. The opponent must succeed at a Fort save (DC equal to the result of your sneak attack check result) or be nauseated for 1 round and sickened for 1d4 rounds afterwards."

And in Torn Asunder, a called shot to the groin is something like -11 on the attack roll! Not an easy thing to accomplish. And they've also got rules for armored codpieces. Maybe Tharhack should invest in one of those! :D

Remove ads