The Band of Four (The Village of Oester)

Jon Potter

First Post
Hairy Minotaur said:
"Well, After he's dead, it won't matter anymore." Alriand answers

"Very true." Raziel states

I assume that this is supposed to be Xanoniel speaking and not Alriand.

But, anyway, SHEESH!! Talk about the proverbial tangled web! I'm officially at the point where I feel like I don't know what's going on any better than your players despite the extra knowledge you impart through the story hour.

Is Alriand's geas (or whatever it is) a segue into the Oester module?

Jon Potter said:
I assume that this is supposed to be Xanoniel speaking and not Alriand.

But, anyway, SHEESH!! Talk about the proverbial tangled web! I'm officially at the point where I feel like I don't know what's going on any better than your players despite the extra knowledge you impart through the story hour.

Is Alriand's geas (or whatever it is) a segue into the Oester module?

Yes that should be Xanoniel. :(

it's more like a bridge there, if the Hamlet is step A, and Oester is step C, the next part will be step B

Everything will become much clearer once the party gets to the wizard's keep. It hits the fan then.

True neutral druids have no ethical problems dealing with "good" or "evil" as long as the needs of nature are fullfilled. ;) hope that gives a little hint.

Ed Cha

Community Supporter
These last couple of entries are just about my favorites yet. They really read like something from a fantasy fiction book to me.

I like the way you've brought Raziel to life. She seems like a real witch! Your version of her house is a lot bigger and she seems to have a more sophisticated scheme, but I really like what you've done here.

I'm looking forward to stopping by one of your games at Gen Con to see how you describe these things.

Ed Cha said:
These last couple of entries are just about my favorites yet. They really read like something from a fantasy fiction book to me.

I like the way you've brought Raziel to life. She seems like a real witch! Your version of her house is a lot bigger and she seems to have a more sophisticated scheme, but I really like what you've done here.

I'm looking forward to stopping by one of your games at Gen Con to see how you describe these things.

Thanks, she's been fun to write.

Although I must tell everyone reading that Raziel's voodooish type magic is not in THoT that part is my own device. Although every spell she cast is from her spell list in the book, the rune carving and bodily manipulation is not. :)

After they leave Thumble I hope they dread what they will have to face in a couple towns further down the road. ;) :D

Xanoniel walks into Thumble alone, as the sun brightens the clouds in the overcast sky. She meets Opee who's checking on the residents, taking stock of damage and food. She waves him down and asks where Tharhack and Rebrey are. Opee tells her they are staying at Durac's old house. She bids him thanks and heads over there. Opening the door, Xanoniel calls out and enters the house.

"We're in here!" Rebrey yells back.

Walking into the former living room, Xanoniel finds Tharhack and Rebrey sitting up on some old blankets and pillows.

"I found Alriand, she's alive." Xanoniel states

"Really? I see she decided to show herself" Tharhack responds

"She was badly injured, I found her unconscious and severely injured out in the woods. She faced her mistake and she dealt with it." Xanoniel says

"So, the witch is dead?" Rebrey asks

"I assume so, Alriand had lost a lot of blood and was delirious when I found her." Xanoniel answers

"Stupid girl, should've ask for help. We could've turned that witch into stew." Tharhack says looking at Rebrey

"Well, the witch did something to her." Xanoniel says

"What do you mean?" Tharhack asks

"Well, she's hysterical, and keeps referring to some wizard's keep or tower. I think that witch messed with her brain." Xanoniel states

"I bet that witch is still alive, probably tormenting her every waking moment." Tharhack surmises "I say we go catch ourselves a witch"

"No, I'm positive the witch is dead. If she were still alive the animals would've told me" Xanoniel responds

"Druids, bunch of weirdoes" Rebrey says trying to keep it under his breath

"What did they tell you?" Tharhack asks while raising his eyebrow at Rebrey

"They tell me the witch bothers them no more. I take that as a dead witch." Xanoniel responds

"Where's Alriand now?" Tharhack asks

"Safe, with a friend of mine." Xanoniel states

"Well I'd like to see her." Tharhack states getting up off of the floor

"Of course, I can take you there now." Xanoniel offers

"Great, Rebrey can you square us up with Opee? And maybe get us some apples and carrots?" Tharhack asks Rebrey

"Sure, Maybe I can get some pies too." Rebrey answers getting off of the ground.

Xanoniel leads Tharhack out of the house and south to the bridge. Tharhack waves to Denbel and Randill as he passes the guards. Xanoniel leads Tharhack on a winding trail, first west then north.

"Where did you hide her? on another plane?" Tharhack asks

"Almost there, a couple more yards and will be there." Xanoniel answers

Tharhack looks down at the ground to step over a log, and when he looks up Xanoniel is no where to be found. Looking around he notices that only his tracks are in the snow, and there is no indication of where Xanoniel went. Tharhack calls out but gets no response.

"Over here" Xanoniel's voice came from the south, about eighty feet away.

Tharhack rolls his eyes and then heads towards Xanoniel who's standing next to a big black sack or maybe a bear. Tharhack couldn't tell from this distance. After the third step, Tharhack hears a snap, and a slithering sound as a rope becomes taunt around his ankle and Tharhack is trust up into the air like a sling. Tharhack reaches his apex and begins to fall towards the ground. He sees the snow covered ground rushing at him but before he slams into the earth, the tree branch that the rope is tied to jerks him back up again. His right leg is yanked and Tharhack can feel the pull in his hip and knee. After a couple of moments, the half-orc whip Tharhack was turned into ceases and Tharhack is left swinging back and forth. Tharhack reaches up to his ankle to try and pry the rope free, only to find there's some kind of semisolid swirling mass of air that keeps slapping his hands away when he tries to grab the rope. *

"Need a little help?" Xanoniel asks

"Apparently so, I don't know what's got me but I can't seem to get a good grasp of the rope." Tharhack replies

"Yes, well too bad." Xanoniel answers

"What?!?!" Tharhack answers in disbelief

"You see I have a job to accomplish, and your presence will greatly hinder that mission." Xanoniel replies

"Fey you've just made my list of people too weak to take up any more space. Release me now!" Tharhack thunders

"Spare me your theatrics, once my mission is complete, you can have your little thief back." Xanoniel states "Oh and don't bother trying to track us down, I'll have to use much greater force next time."

Tharhack tries to grab the rope again, but is still unable to gain a firm hold, and he falls back upside down.

"I'll be taking your easily manipulated fighter along with us, his weak will can be made to do whatever I want." Xanoniel says

"Rebrey will never follow you." Tharhack counters

"You should learn about sex appeal Tharhack, it might come in handy someday." Xanoniel answers as she begins walking off to the left of Tharhack. Tharhack sees she's once again not leaving any tracks. Xanoniel disappears from Tharhack's sight, amid curses and cries from Tharhack.

*summoned small air elemental*

Jon Potter

First Post
So is Xanoniel back to being an NPC? I don't know that my players would be able to handle such manipulation from another PC. They expect it from me, but not from one of their own? :D

I don't know whose pride is going to be more bruised, Tharhack's or 'easily manipulated' Rebrey?

Jon Potter said:
So is Xanoniel back to being an NPC? I don't know that my players would be able to handle such manipulation from another PC. They expect it from me, but not from one of their own? :D

I don't know whose pride is going to be more bruised, Tharhack's or 'easily manipulated' Rebrey?

Well the real motivating factor was that Xanoniel's player was having difficulty with the druid class, so while he's still playing Xanoniel, her spell selections and actions are more dictated by me than by the player. His next character has already joined the group, and is more combat orientated which is what seems to work better for him.

Tharhack hangs upside down for maybe five more minuets fuming in anger, before he feels the swirling winds around his ankle dissipate. He quickly reaches up to snap the rope, but the snare spell ends just as he touches the rope. Tharhack falls to the snow, he twists his body so that his back takes the brunt of the fall instead of his head. He looks up at the overcast sky, trying to determine where north is, and thus where east would be. Leaning back against a tree, Tharhack gives up on trying to see exactly where the sun is hiding behind the clouds, and just heads off in the direction he's currently facing hoping it's either south or east.

Knowing he isn't going to be able to catch Xanoniel before she makes it back to Thumble, Tharhack hopes Rebrey somehow is still in Thumble when Tharhack arrives. Tharhack starts up in a quick jog, he slaps some trees and low lying branches as he passes them imagining that it was Xanoniel or the witch, or both.

Rebrey stands outside of Opee's house waiting for a meeting between Opee and Rillkep to end, so that Rebrey can finally meet with Opee, who's been meeting the residents of Thumble one on one all morning. Rebrey walks in a slow line between Opee's house and the end on the street. Rebrey reaches the end of the street and turns around to find Xanoniel standing in front of him.

"Where's Tharhack and Alriand?" Rebrey asks

"Alriand is waiting for you and I, Tharhack went to scout ahead to the north." Xanoniel replies

"Why would Tharhack be scouting? Alriand is much better at it." Rebrey questions

"Alriand is still in no shape to be walking on her own. Tharhack consulted his god and learned that a cure for Alriand's madness could be found in a tower to the north of Thumble." Xanoniel answers

"Alriand was already insane, how bad could she be now?" Rebrey asks not really wanting that answered.

"I've sedated her, she's pretty much out of it. We hope to reach the tower in a ten day, maybe a little longer. I need you to help me keep Alriand safe while Tharhack clears the way in front of us." Xanoniel says

"Ok let me finish up here with Opee, and I'll..." Rebrey gets cut off

"We can't wait, Tharhack's already gone ahead, if we tarry too long all of his scouting will be wasted, and we'll become too separated." Xanoniel pleads

"But, Tharhack asked me t..." Rebrey's words die as Xanoniel leans in and kisses Rebrey

Xanoniel then pulls back and looks Rebrey in the eyes. Rebrey sees his reality spin and fall away, only to be replaced by the sight of a wheat field in summer. The wind pushes and pulls at the wheat, making it appear as though the field was a flowing tide against a beach. Rebrey can almost smell the golden stalks, when he feels a cold breeze against his cheek. Shaking his head his eyes shoot in the light of an overcast day and a muddy snow covered street.

"What was that?" Rebrey asks

"I like you Rebrey, maybe after we save Alriand, we can see how much I like you." Xanoniel states

"Let me go pack, if fact maybe you should help, we could leave earlier if I had some help." Rebrey says with a smile

"I've already taken the liberty of packing for you, let's get going." Xanoniel replies grasping Rebrey's hand and leading him over towards the bridge, and up to the northwest.

Tharhack's muscles ached with pain and cold, as he raced along the snow covered forest floor. The overcast sky showed no interest in relinquishing it's golden treasure. Tharhack had given up on his original path, having determined it was leading him nowhere, he had turned to the left four, five, maybe even six hours ago. The sky was darkening, and to Tharhack the sky seemed to be darkening uniformly. His arms were slowed with cold, and even though he had stopped taking swipes at the trees his anger still burned inside him. He had divine prayer that would ease the chill from his body, however he dismissed that notion as weak. The pain drove him on, focusing his hatred into a fine point. His head was filled with revenge, and before the light from that sun would caress his face again, he vowed to be on the trail of Xanoniel.

The last bit of light finally gives in to the approaching night, Tharhack's eyes adjust to the darkening conditions. He finally concedes he needs to stop running for a bit, and slows his pace to a walk. This allows him to look over his surroundings with closer detail. Looking around he thinks he sees what might be a road, or a stream off to his right. Heading off in that direction with renewed vigor, Tharhack gets about halfway to the dark mass when he hears the sound of rushing water. Reaching the river bank, Tharhack turns downstream, his heart begins to warm which in turn stokes the fire of his anger.

Ed Cha

Community Supporter
Now that the PCs are leaving Thumble, do you think there is an NPC they may have bonded with? In my game, for example, I used the little halfling girl Adelee and her parents as an anchor. I'm wondering though if your players find Thumble a place they'd actually like to re-visit to check up on the residents and see how they're doing.

Ed Cha said:
Now that the PCs are leaving Thumble, do you think there is an NPC they may have bonded with? In my game, for example, I used the little halfling girl Adelee and her parents as an anchor. I'm wondering though if your players find Thumble a place they'd actually like to re-visit to check up on the residents and see how they're doing.

Tharhack will cultivate a special relationship with a resident in tonight's update. I'll let you read that, Alriand would like to revisit all the "rich" residents. Does that count? :D I'm sure if/when they make it back to Thumble Rebrey will stop by and check on the infant they saved.

Initially the players didn't gell with the halflings right away (none of them were halflings and I think there was a stigma there) Towards the end of the adventure I think the party humanized them, and didn't see them as halflings anymore but as Opee, Rillkep, Dairgren.......... and that's what makes any place memorable.

I'm anxious to see how they deal with the residents of Oester, and if they try to humanize some of them. Should be interesting. Now I just have to wait for 1B to FINALLY :D come back from the printer. :D

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases