The Band of Four (The Village of Oester)

Jon Potter said:
The new PC, perchance?

Something yummy from Bastards & Bloodlines? I seem to recall you saying that you had that book.

Why yes, you've caught me :D

For those with the book it's a grendal, for those without the book maybe his name "Gothmog" will be a little hint? Especially to Tolkein fans.

We moved the player back to a fighter type. Easier for the player to deal with, the grendal really only has one special ability.

Jon Potter

First Post
Hairy Minotaur said:
the grendal really only has one special ability.

Yeah, but Fast Healing is a heckuva special ability*!

I LOVE the grendel, BTW. It's easily my favorite half-breed out of that book. I'm excited to see how it works out for you guys.

*I played a full-fledge half-troll (from the Fiend Folio) in a one-shot adventure for 5th level characters. Despite the fact that the half-troll's +4 ECL meant that I only had one Character Class Level (to everyone else's 5) I waltzed out of the adventure without a scratch on me.

Jon Potter said:
Yeah, but Fast Healing is a heckuva special ability*!

I LOVE the grendel, BTW. It's easily my favorite half-breed out of that book. I'm excited to see how it works out for you guys.

Yes but not quite as good as a trolls, the DC to reattach a limb is high enough that it can be failed.

The roleplay challenge here will be to play a character with low INT but high WIS.

The player really wanted one and it came down to the grendal or the ssthein (sp?) and knowing what the players have to face next, I think the grendal will work out better.

"Well boys, looks like play time is over." Raziel says as her form contorts and begins to shrink

Her arms grow feathers and turn into wings, her mouth elongates into a black beak. Her eyes appear to grow in size, but in reality Raziel's head shrinks while her eyes remain the same size, giving the illusion that they are getting bigger. Her legs become stick like and clawed. Finally the transformation complete, Raziel the bird lifts off the ground. She circles around the tree behind her and heads for an opening of what's left of her home. How ever she miscalculates the reach of the newcomer to the fight.

Gothmog swats at the bird with his greatsword as it tries to fly into crumpled doorway of the house upon which he's now standing. He connects and sends the bird careening into the downed tree laying on top of Raziel's home.

"Nice hit." Rillkep says impressed

"Gothmog kill bird woman." The large man states sliding down the short distance off of Raziel's roof and onto the ground next to Raziel, who's slowly transforming back to her witch form.

"No! wait!" Tharhack yells trying to get the newcomer to stop from julienne Raziel "I need her alive"

"Alive?" both Rillkep and Gothmog say in confused unison

"Gothmog not understand, little boy say kill witch is good." The large man answers

"Keep me out of this." Rillkep responds as Tharhack leaps off the mound, landing next to Gothmog

Keeping his greatsword in hand but pointed down, Tharhack puts his left hand up in a gesture of peace. "I need her alive, because she knows where my friends went."

"You lost? Gothmog help you find way, no need witch" The man says turning back to the unconscious witch and raising his sword over his head.

"If I don't find out where they went, they'll die!" Tharhack yells at Gothmog "Please I need to talk to her"

"You tell Gothmog where friends went, I show you where they be." comes the response

"I don't know where they went, that's the problem. Only she does." Tharhack says pointing at Raziel

Gothmog drops his sword, and ponders Tharhack's words. Tharhack swears he can hear the gears clinking inside Gothmog's head. Rillkep saunters on down the tree and comes up an the other side of the witch. Rillkep stares over the witch trying to get a good look at her.

"OK you talk to sleeping witch, then Gothmog kill" comes the reply

"Well, I was hoping to keep her around for awhile. I don't want her lying to me." Tharhack responds

"Gothmog not like liars." Says the big man

"I don't either, so I'm sure you can appreciate how I need to make sure she's telling the truth." Tharhack answers

"What plan then?" Gothmog asks

Rillkep watches Tharhack come close to Gothmog, he sees now that Gothmog isn't that much taller than Tharhack, maybe a foot or so. Tharhack's whispering something about an ugly stick to Gothmog. Rillkep tries to pick up more, but the wind is behind him and he just can't hear anything further. Rillkep looks back down at the witch and notices that her right arm is turning purple from bruising, and is thankful that the giant never hit him with that sword.

"Ha! Gothmog like plan" Gothmog laughs back away to let Tharhack at Raziel.

"Rillkep. Could you please go find me a good sized fallen branch, about ten feet in length? Tharhack asks

"Uh, sure." Rillkep responds confused, but leaves anyway to go look for the stick

Tharhack checks the witch's should and notes that it is dislocated, he grabs some rope from his waist, and binds the witch's hands and feet together. Then takes the skull of a squirrel from the necklace around Raziel's neck, and opening her mouth, shoves the skull in. Then ties more rope around her head to keep the skull in place.

"How she talk now?" Gothmog asks

"She can't, she's unconscious now anyway. This is to keep her from casting a spell when she wakes up, and surprising us with more of her summoned friends." Tharhack replies

"Bah! Gothmog kill those too." comes the response

Rillkep returns straining to drag a long branch through the snow cover. Gothmog walks over and lifts up the branch.

"Gothmog carry stick now boy." Gothmog tells Rillkep

Tharhack gets up and shakes Rillkep's hand thanking him for helping find the witch's lair.

"After I secure the witch, I shall see you back to Thumble, and I will take my leave of you then." Tharhack tells Rillkep.

"Sounds great to me, I was worried you let me walk home alone, in the dark." Rillkep answers

"No worry little boy, Gothmog make sure you find mommy." Gothmog says with a wide smile exposing teeth that look like they could gnaw through a tree.

"Uh, just so you don't eat her." Rillkep says under his breath "Thanks." Rillkep says finishing his thought

Tharhack ties Raziel to an end of the branch, however instead of tying her loosely so that she would hang down. Tharhack ties her tightly almost wrapping her body like a cocoon to the branch.

"Ha, ha, ha. Witch look like marmellow on stick" Gothmog relates

"In that case I'd travel without a campfire Tharhack, he's liable to eat her." Rillkep tells Tharhack

"No, witch taste bad. Smell bad too" Gothmog states

"That smell is you." Rillkep tells Gothmog, who promptly sniffs his arm pits. Thinks for a bit, and sniffs them again.

"No, witch one who stinks." Gothmog responds

Tharhack stands and grabs the end of the branch that Raziel is not on, slings it over his shoulder and starts off to the south. Rillkep quickly follows, trying to keep up with Tharhack, so as not to get close to the witch or Gothmog.

The trio walk for about three hours before the witch begins to stir. First shaking violently, then dying down to just a couple of jerks.

"Think she'll find a way to get out?" Rillkep asks

"No, orc man tie her good." Gothmog comments

"I'd like to see he try, I'm itching for an excuse." Tharhack states

A chuckle erupts from the witch who's obviously listening to the conversation.

"When we enter-the-gate with her?" Gothmog asks

"What? What gate?" Rillkep asks

"He means interrogate." Tharhack replies

"Oh, it's like he speaks uncommon, or rare. It's hard for me to understand someone speaking in the third person as well. How do you understand it?" Rillkep asks

"I listen." Tharhack responds

"Gothmog listen too, hear voice tell Gothmog to find witch." The large man states

"Oh great, a schizo giant. Maybe he's possessed?" Rillkep comments

"There are no demons of slow learning, therefore I doubt he's possessed." Tharhack observes

"Voice tell Gothmog, find witch's opossum sit of life and destroy my sheen." The big man says

"That sounds like the ramblings of the insane, Tharhack do you have a spell or something that cure lunacy?" Rillkep asks

"He's not insane, you should listen more and you'd figure it out." Tharhack tells Rillkep

Gothmog walks along smiling at the world, making Rillkep believe all the more that this guy was totally nuts. Tharhack whacks Raziel against a tree every now and then, just to make sure she's still on the end on the stick.

The trio walk in silence the rest of the way until Thumble appears in the distance through the trees.

"This is where I take leave of you, thanks for assisting me. I am grateful. Take care and be strong Kord is always watching." Tharhack tells Rillkep

"What are you going to do with braniac? Rillkep asks him

"I would like to talk to him some more, maybe introduce his greatsword to Xanoniel." Tharhack replies

"Wow, you live in caves above ground?" Gothmog shares while staring at the houses in Thumble

"No, we live in houses. Above ground." Rillkep answers Gothmog "I think you should stop eating the flies buzzing around your head."

"Gothmog like juicy flies." Gothmog answers while popping another fly into his mouth.

Rillkep turns green and sticks his tongue out. He shakes Tharhack's hand and bids him well. Tharhack waits until Rillkep has made it to Roplin's old house, Tharhack then turns and heads west towards the river. Gothmog stares at Rillkep a little while longer as another small boy comes up the street to meet Rillkep. Gothmog wonders where all the parents are, apparently they let their kids have run of the village. Gothmog then turns and catches up to Tharhack. He pokes his finger at the witch a couple of times, thrilled that he can make her squirm inside her cocoon.

pogre

Legend
Hairy Minotaur said:
"No worry little boy, Gothmog make sure you find mommy." Gothmog says with a wide smile exposing teeth that look like they could gnaw through a tree.

*Bing* New favorite character!

Tharhack and Gothmog arrive at the river, and turn upstream. They follow the river until it takes a bend to the right, Tharhack decides it would be a good time to rest and get some information from the witch. Unwrapping the Raziel so that her eyes are visible, Tharhack sets her down in the snow. Still tied to the branch Raziel tries to wiggle free but is still unable to move.

"Now, where is Xanoniel taking Alriand?" Tharhack asks

The witch mumbles something from under her gag.

"The gag stays, you have use of your eyes for the time being." Tharhack states while flexing his arms to make his point

Gothmog watches Tharhack intently, seeing Tharhack threaten Raziel physical gives him an idea. He gets up and looking around, spots a rabbit sitting in the snow, about ten feet to his left. Gothmog then throws his arms up and then swings them back behind him while opening his mouth and letting out a low growl. The rabbit flees as does every other living creature within Gothmog's sight. Proud with himself, Gothmog goes over to Tharhack and pushes him away from the witch.

"Gothmog try" Gothmog then repeats the same display he gave the rabbit on Raziel

Raziel closes her eyes tight, sickened by Gothmog's breath, Raziel's eyes begin to tear up.

"Now ask question" Gothmog tells Tharhack

Tharhack stands stunned for a moment. Then moves back up to Raziel "Thanks I think" Tharhack tells Gothmog

"Where did Xanoniel take Alriand?" Tharhack asks a little more forceful this time.

Gothmog walks up behind Tharhack and peers over his shoulder at Raziel.

"Wink, wink. Left, up, down, left, up, look at Gothmog. You no where that is TharHACK? Gothmog asks

"I think she's saying put me in the icy river." Tharhack answers. Tharhack picks up the branch and carries it over to the river's edge. Like a fishing pole, Tharhack lowers Raziel into the icy cold water of the river. Raziel thrashes about but is unable to break her bonds. Tharhack leaves her in the water for twenty seconds before lifting her out.

"Where did Xanoniel take Alriand?" Tharhack asks agitated

The overcast sky above begins to release it's white fluffy cargo, as Gothmog shouts for joy.

"Gothmog like melty candy" The big man states as he sticks out his tongue and catches a few flakes. "You try TharHACK."

"No thanks you go ahead, I still need to get some answers form the ugly stick." Tharhack replies

"Witch no like you." Gothmog answers

"Well, I don't want to be her friend, so that's ok." Tharhack tells Gothmog

"She no talk to you. You ask but she no say nothing. Gothmog like you so we talk." Gothmog says with a smile

"You fear something witch.You are weak, you invade dreams and minds, but you are too afraid to deal with people one on one. I will find your fear, and I will break you." Tharhack tells her while snapping a limb off of a tree

Raziel rolls her eyes at Tharhack, while still shivering from the cold water. Tharhack dips her into the water again, keeping her head above the water. Tharhack then withdraws her from the river and sets the branch down in the snow. Tharhack then gathers up some tinder and starts building a fire. Gothmog crawls close to the fire, staring at it like he had been hypnotized. Gothmog reaches out to touch the flames, getting burned he quickly pulls his arm back. Looking down at his fingers, rubbing them together slowly, then dipping them into the snow.

"You've never seen fire?" Tharhack asks

"Gothmog not allowed to build fire." Gothmog replies "Elder tell me get out of cave, never come back. Now Gothmog find TharHACK who like fire. Gothmog happy."

Tharhack gives Gothmog a smile and then moves the witch extremely close to the fire, close enough to have embers fall on the soaked rope and Raziel's sopping rags.

"Why don't you go find us something to eat Gothmog?" Tharhack says

"Me? You want me catch food?" Gothmog asks

"Yep, whatever you like. Just make sure it's enough for both of us." Tharhack replies

Gothmog jumps to his feet and almost skips out of camp. Tharhack watches for Gothmog to disappear in the trees, he then gets up and stands over Raziel.

"Now witch, I'll ask one last time." Tharhack starts while retrieving a stick from the campfire "Where is Xanoniel," Tharhack continues while pointing the stick at Raziel's left eye "Taking Alriand?" Tharhack finishes, lowering the stick to within inches of Raziel's face

Thinking this an elaborate bluff, Raziel remains motionless.

Spotting two big bucks, Gothmog moves skillfully around a downed log, prepping himself to pounce on the quarry. The bucks look up, smelling Gothmog, they remain motionless until an ear splitting scream fills the woods, and the bucks disappear into the twilight. Dejected Gothmog continues his search wondering what that scream was.

Raziel screams through her gag, her left eye seared apart and erupted onto her face, blood seeps around the uncauterized parts on the wound.

"I don't bluff witch, where has Xanoniel taken Alriand?!" Tharhack shouts

Tharhack waits for the witch to quit screaming, and open her right eye. Raziel mumbles some curses at Tharhack. Tharhack reinserts the stick into the fire. Flesh and blood sizzle and smoke off of the tip, the tip then catches fire briefly as Tharhack moves the point to Raziel's right eye. Tharhack finally sees fear in Raziel's eyes, but he wonders if it's enough to force her compliance.

Gothmog returns with three medium sized bucks, he throws them down to the ground behind Tharhack. Walking up to the witch, Gothmog checks out the gaping hole in her face.

"Witch now uglier than Gothmog." He says with a smile. Gothmog reaches down and scoops some retina off Raziel's face and licks it off his finger.

"Save me tongue please." Gothmog tells Tharhack

Tharhack holds over Raziel's right eye and counts to three, the plunges the stick through her eye hitting the socket at the bottom. Her eye explodes from the heat sending the rest of Raziel's vision onto her face. Raziel scream out in agony. Tharhack cuts off the rope keeping her gag in place, and Raziel spits out the squirrel skull.

"I will feast upon your tortured soul, I will swim upon your open entrails, you pathetic excuse for an or." The last word from Raziel was cut off as Tharhack grabbed the witch's tongue, and pierced it with the stick that ended her sight. Shoving the stick halfway through so that Raziel is unable to retract her tongue, or close her mouth.

"TharHACK have issues with anger." Gothmog comments

"I have not even begun to get angry. One last chance witch, what's it going to be?" Tharhack asks

Raziel concedes defeat and nods to Tharhack. Tharhack removes the stick, and Raziel tells him that Xanoniel went to the Ash Tower of Emthur.

"Why, what does this have to do with Alriand?" Tharhack asks

"Emthur wishes to become immortal, he needs the blood from a whole elf to make the elixirs he uses to extend his life." Raziel says

"Xanoniel means to deliver Alriand to her own sacrifice?" Tharhack asks

"Almost, Xanoniel wishes to kill Emthur. She needs Alriand to get inside the tower, as Emthur will only see elves now." Raziel says

"If she wanted this man dead, why all the subterfuge?" Tharhack asks

"All of Emthur's guardian's are undead, she knows you'd stick out like a half-orc in a village of halflings." Raziel responds

"She didn't need to stick her nose into my friend's business, she could've found some other gimps to do her dirty work." Tharhack answers

"Gothmog know of gray tower." The big man offers

"You do? Do you know how the get there?" Tharhack asks

"He lies, and only I can get you into the tower." Raziel interjects realizing that her life is quickly becoming forfeit

"Yeah, Gothmog find for you." comes the response

Tharhack reinserts the stick into Raziel's tongue, and sits down to set up a spit over the fire, for the venison. Gothmog begins stripping the skin off the deer, and dehorning the biggest one.

"Gothmog kill witch now?" asks the big man

"All in due time. For now, I just want to make sure she's telling the truth." Tharhack replies

"Gothmog see smelly not dead men walking near gray tower." Gothmog tells Tharhack

"How many guards are there?" Tharhack asks

"Ten less than there last time Gothmog there." Gothmog replies proudly

"You killed that many huh?" Tharhack asks

"Gothmog burned them all, Old man with beard come and dare Gothmog to do again, so Gothmog does again." Gothmog responds

"Does what again? What did you do to the zombies?" Tharhack asks

"Burned them, they not walk anymore." Gothmog answers

The two sit in silence for a while as the spit starts to heat up for dinner.

Jon Potter said:
You are a writing 'my sheen', Hairy Minotaur!

And a darned good one at that!

:D :D

Did you get the rest of it as well? Half the party has it figured out, the other 2 are still banging their heads. :p

Pogre painted 2 awesome minis for me, that will be appearing very soon! :cool: to get a look at them, go to his post in the Art and painting forum on these boards (I'd give the link, but I don't want my players taking free peeks. ;) )

I also love the feats in Bastards and Bloodlines, Gothmog picked up a nice little one. He will be showcasing that very soon. The hint "burned the zombies" will make more sense in a little bit. :)

Remove ads