• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Band of Four (The Village of Oester)

pogre

Legend
Hairy Minotaur said:
And from the thread on the main discussion list about the guy visiting central illinois, it looks like there are quite a few people in this county who are gaming. Did you ever shop at Bear Productions before they closed? Man I miss that store. Greatest selection of minitures and games that I've ever seen.

Ah yes. Ted was/is a good friend. I often ran games there - Warbands and a few Warhammer leagues. It was quite a loss for the local gaming community. Ted is finishing up a Physics masters and is planning on teaching collegiately if I understand correctly.

Hey, I was thinking about running some RPGA or D&D events at WinterWar in Champaign. Do you usually go? Maybe we could run some of Ed Cha's stuff as a multi-part mini-campaign?

edit: feel free to e-mail privately (pogueclan(at)yahoo.com) so we can stop hijacking your excellent SH!

Last edited:

After Tharhack heals up Bimbar as best he can, and splints his leg so Bimbar can hobble along. They help Bimbar to his feet and make their way over to Rebrey at the corner to the East exit of the room. Just as some finger pointing starts up between Rebrey and Alriand, Tharhack intervenes by picking Alriand up by her collar and moving her away from Rebrey. Bimbar shoos Alriand along the corridor towards the door. Alriand skips down the passage whistling along, and smacking roots sticking out from the wall along the way.
Making her way to the door, Alriand only needs to take a few steps and pause in whistling, to hear the screaming and laughing of high pitched voices coming from the room. Alriand glides silently across the dirt to the door. The door is poorly made with gaps and spaces between each board of the door. The rest of the party clangs their way down the corridor, making as much noise while trying to be as quiet as possible.
"what are they yelling about?" ask Rebrey

"they keep shouting Bessiz, over and over" Bimbar replies

"Well, what does that mean?"

"how the frag should I know. I don't speak upright dog." Alriand replies

"Sounds like please come and end our weak existence, to me" Tharhack surmises as he takes a step back from the door, and asks Alriand to move to one side. Bimbar throws up his hands in protest and tries to get in-between the door and Tharhack, but he's cut off by Rebrey who pulls out his crossbow in front of the gnome.
Tharhack then plants his foot through the door. Pieces of old wood are sent cascading throughout the room as a group of small kobolds stand there stunned, one of them drops something in it's hands. Alriand quickly surveys the room beyond the door and starts mentally counting enemies, after coming up with more enemies than with fingers on one hand. Alriand opts for the retrograde assault, and moves to the rear of the party behind Bimbar. Rebrey Fires off a bolt into the furthest being he can see and literally watches as the bolt almost explodes the body upon impact. Tharhack then steps into the room and punches the nearest kobold, sending it's now lifeless body careening off the wall behind it. Bimbar then waddles up to the door and then props himself off to one side so that Rebrey can still shoot. The kobolds hit the panic button and the six remaining kobolds attack Tharhack, who is not harmed by any of their attacks even tries to point out spots where they could hit him, so as to give them a sporting chance. Alriand decides now is the time to strike and throws a dagger into the skull of a kobold, dropping it instantly. Rebrey fires off another bolt, this time the bolt lodges in the chest of a kobold as it is propelled off of it's feet and onto it's back, dead. Tharhack then swats a kobold like a fly, smashing it's face in. The remaining kobolds try to run past Tharhack, even though there is another exit to the room behind them. the first steps up to the corridor entrance and Bimbar promptly hits a home run with his warhammer. The last two move up to the corridor behind their dead compatriot, and freeze in fear. Dropping to both knees and begging for their lives. Alriand, unprovoked slices out with a dagger across the first kobold's neck. To which Alriand replied that she saw a weapon being drawn and so acted in the best interest of the party. Tharhack then comes over to the kobold, and ties him up. Getting down on one knee, Tharhack tries to put on his meanest face, and goes to work.

Ed Cha

Community Supporter
pogre said:
Hey, I was thinking about running some RPGA or D&D events at WinterWar in Champaign. Do you usually go? Maybe we could run some of Ed Cha's stuff as a multi-part mini-campaign?

That would be very cool! Hairy Minotaur sent me an e-mail about this and I told him that I'd be more than happy to provide free copies of The Hamlet of Thumble and The Village of Oester (when it comes out) as prizes. Please let me know how the games go! :)

Ed Cha

Community Supporter
Hairy Minotaur said:
"how the frag should I know. I don't speak upright dog." Alriand replies

"Sounds like please come and end our weak existence, to me" Tharhack surmises

Your PCs have the best lines! :)

I love the way they specify their combat actions using punches and such, instead of just their weapons. Great stuff here!

Ed Cha said:
Your PCs have the best lines! :)

I love the way they specify their combat actions using punches and such, instead of just their weapons. Great stuff here!

My players fear the natural 1 roll. I treat those as fumbles and they loathe rolling on that table. However one they take weapon specialization then they can't fumble with that weapon. So, the fighters are looking foward to 6th level.

Tharhack leers over the small kobold, staring into it's little eyes, he sticks his chest out and starts to bellow when he realizes it's just a child. The little kobold begins whimpering and draws up into a little ball on the floor. Alriand takes a look around the room, she finds a little doll in the middle of the floor. Picking it up she notices it's not a kobold doll, it's more like a human, with blond hair and blue button eyes. A yellow dress, or maybe it's a halfling's doll. Looking up to see if Rebrey is watching her, seeing him crawling around in a pile of papers against the South wall, Alriand places the doll in her backpack as quiet as possible and continues on to the edge of the East corridor.

Rebrey finds a small pile of papers along the South wall, most are shredded, and in the dim light of the torch he can't make out any of the writing on them. He does find one intact however and picks it up to carry it over to Bimbar and Tharhack. Alriand heads down the East corridor and comes up to a room full of some awful odor. Plugging her nose she takes a look around sees nothing of importance from her cursory inspection from the corridor. She heads back to the party still trying to shake off the smell from the empty room.

Bimbar and Tharhack argue over what to do with the child, since no one in the party speaks kobold so interrogating the kobold is out. Bimbar doesn't want to kill the child, Tharhack argues they just killed five of them and letting this one go will only cause more problems. If it manages to alert anyone else in here the party will be in a world of hurt. Bimbar argues that there's no where for the kobold to go. the entrance is burning and they'll be in front of it. Tharhack advises that just because they leave the kobold here alone, doesn't mean it can't alert anyone, what if there's a fork in a passage up ahead. If we go one way and it goes another way, there's a high probability that the kobolds will ambush us from behind. Bimbar tells him that he doesn't think the kobold deserves to die just because he was playing and the party kicked the door down and started swinging.

Rebrey comes over and interrupts the little argument by asking either of them if they can read the writing on the paper he found. Both Bimbar and Tharhack take a look at the page but neither one can understand the writing, they hand it back to Rebrey and continue their arguing. After another couple of minutes of arguing, and Rebrey joining in on Tharhack's side. Bimbar notices that the kobold child has slipped away, when Bimbar stops ranting it doesn't take the other men long to figure out why. Turning around to check the room out, they can't locate the child at all. Tharhack says he'll check the rooms they've already been in, Rebrey advises he'll go check out the passage Alriand went down. Bimbar decides to limp around the room.

Rebrey meets Alriand coming back down the passage, he asks her if she saw anything or anyone. She advises that she saw nothing except some foul stench emanating from the room behind her. Rebrey asks her to look at the paper he found, taking a quick glance at the writings, Alriand tells him it's in Elvish. She asks him if she can hold on to it, so she can look it over once they aren't so harried. Rebrey agrees, and they both head back to Bimbar, who's prodding at a small crack in the North wall. Tharhack soon returns and says that if it went that way, it must've made it outside as it's not behind them. Bimbar looks at the rest of the party and tells them it's time to hurry up and get through this place before it gets complicated.

Alriand explains that there's an empty stinky room at the end of the East corridor. There may be another exit to that room, but she didn't stick around long enough to verify that. The party heads down the corridor, and they almost retch at the smell. Like a combination of sweaty orc feet and burning moldy iron rations. Holding their noses and fighting back tears of repulsion, they get into the room and find two exits to the room, one to the South and the other to the East. Tharhack makes a gesture towards the East passage and they all head down that way. Bringing up the rear Bimbar, just before he exits the room, sees a small body slumped against the North wall lifeless, and bleeding.

Last edited:

pogre

Legend
You know the dilemna about the kobold child is really very interesting...

I own a MonkeyGod Enterprises Module where the PCs encounter a goblin infant. The module authors instructs DMs to tell players killing any child is evil. I'm not sure that really fits into the D&D moral compass - I mean with alignments evil is evil right? or maybe not - the gray areas are what can make a game like this so interesting. I do not think it is cut and dry as that module author suggested.

One suggestion on making your SH a bit easier to read: Use breaks (blank lines) between your paragraphs - A tip Pirate Cat gave me a long time ago that really does help.

Jon Potter

First Post
pogre said:

I own a MonkeyGod Enterprises Module where the PCs encounter a goblin infant. The module authors instructs DMs to tell players killing any child is evil. I'm not sure that really fits into the D&D moral compass - I mean with alignments evil is evil right?

I would argue that it depends on whether the MM says that its alignment is Always or Usually evil. With Always Evil it's a factor of birth, IMO. So the Good players are within their alignments to kill the Evil creature (even one that's essentially helpless). With Usually Evil is probably cultural, in which case, they can be rehabilitiated - or in the case of an infant, certainly, raised properly. Maybe that Goblin or Kobald child would be a paladin if given the chance.

BTW, I love moral dilemmas.

pogre said:
One suggestion on making your SH a bit easier to read: Use breaks (blank lines) between your paragraphs - A tip Pirate Cat gave me a long time ago that really does help.

PC made the same suggestion to me and it really does make a difference.

pogre said:

I own a MonkeyGod Enterprises Module where the PCs encounter a goblin infant. The module authors instructs DMs to tell players killing any child is evil. I'm not sure that really fits into the D&D moral compass - I mean with alignments evil is evil right? or maybe not - the gray areas are what can make a game like this so interesting. I do not think it is cut and dry as that module author suggested.

Thanks, I will definately do that in the future, I think I'll also go back and do that for the previous posts as well. :)

Jon Potter said:
I would argue that it depends on whether the MM says that its alignment is Always or Usually evil. With Always Evil it's a factor of birth, IMO. So the Good players are within their alignments to kill the Evil creature (even one that's essentially helpless). With Usually Evil is probably cultural, in which case, they can be rehabilitiated - or in the case of an infant, certainly, raised properly. Maybe that Goblin or Kobald child would be a paladin if given the chance.

BTW, I love moral dilemmas.

PC made the same suggestion to me and it really does make a difference.

I agree, moral dilemmas really bring out the roleplayer in people, assuming the person likes those sort of things. I was pleasantly surprised that they roleplayed that encounter in character. After the session was over they had some different thoughts.

Remove ads