• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The best laid plans of mice and DMs

KarinsDad

Adventurer
Ok, so I sketch out this 11th level NPC Villain Sorcerer who is trapped in a magical stasis prison. I want him as a reoccurring villain in future adventures and figure that there is a fair chance that the PCs will release him.

The 6 4th level PCs come along and contemplate releasing this guy. They know nothing about him, but think they can get some information from him.

He comes out of the prison, continuing the statement that he was making before going in several hundred years ago (and still surrounded by the magical protections he had cast long ago) when he notices that he is in a totally different place and that the enemies around him previously are gone and that new people are around him.

He gets in a conversation with the PCs, but two of the PCs do not trust him and have readied bow attacks in case he starts casting a spell or something.

After a while, the NPC villain decides to teleport away. The two PCs fire their bows, one misses and one hits for a whopping 2 points of damage. The NPC villain only needs to roll a 2 to make his Concentration check and he rolls a 1.

Melee starts and the PC Dwarf Fighter grapples the Sorcerer. The PC Rogue/Wizard decides to Ready actions to fire his bow at the Sorcerer if he casts any spells (and ends up shooting the grappling Dwarf 3 times in a row while attempting to shoot the Sorcerer) and the rest of the party attacks the Sorcerer (with some PCs attempting subdual damage, other PCs attempting real damage).

Round after round, the Sorcerer cannot manage a Concentration roll above 4. Eventually, the PC Cleric casts a Silence spell in the area and the PCs finally knock the Sorcerer out.

After several hours of real time trying to determine if they should kill the Sorcerer or not (a lot of good roleplaying since the PC Cleric had cast Detect Evil on the Sorcerer and he came up fairly evil and the PC Wizard/Rogue had made his Spellcraft roll to figure out the Sorcerer was trying to Teleport, hence, they knew he was evil and powerful and could possibly get away in a heartbeat if conscious), the party finally decides to kill him. The determining factor was that the PCs are a sort of local deputies and they figured it was their duty to institute field justice since this guy could (and probably would) cause a lot of havoc if he ever got free (plus they figured he would track them down at the least opportune time to whale on them).

But, it was good to see the players taking the time out to really try to figure a way out of a moral dilemma.

Another powerful reoccurring villain bites the dust. Sometimes, it's not even worth it to even figure out ability scores for NPCS these days. :rolleyes:

Berandor

lunatic
Don't you know rule #45 of the neverending Book of DM Rules?

"Recurring villains don't."

It never works. The only time it works is when you don't plan on having him return, or use things like "True Resurrection".

Berandor

I would like to see one of those "you can always take 10, even when rushed or threatened" upgrades for Concentration. It would eliminate annoying things like that botched teleport.

But yeah, most players do have an amazing ability to kill off your villains no matter how the odds are stacked against them. I swear, it's like the normal probabilities are temporarily suspended.

AeroDm

First Post
I can have four orcs take out a 3rd level party without a problem and then turn around and have my uber-villain get himself handed to... himself. D&D is a fical game of fical dice.

Psion

Adventurer
This is when you decide that the wicked sorcerer of the east has a twin brother, the wicked sorcerer of the west, who is REAL PEEVED that you squished his brother.Never waste a hard won stat block. ;)

Last edited:

Psion

Adventurer
AeroDm said:
I can have four orcs take out a 3rd level party without a problem and then turn around and have my uber-villain get himself handed to... himself. D&D is a fical game of fical dice.

Fickle dice is, perhaps, the term you are looking for.

Isn't a fical a creature out of some old book?

KarinsDad

Adventurer
Altamont Ravenard said:
On the subject at hand, what about the fact that you can't ready actions outside of combat?

Fact?

Not in my game.

Anything you can do in combat, you can initiate combat with in my game.

"What do you mean I can ready an action to disrupt his spell in combat, but not out of combat?"

Stupid rules belong in the "stupid out bin".

Psion said:
This is when you decide that the wicked sorcerer of the east has a twin brother, the wicked sorcerer of the west, who is REAL PEEVED that you squished his brother.Never waste a hard won stat block. ;)

Yeah, except that his brother will probably have to be undead since everyone the sorcerer knew died a few hundred years ago.

barsoomcore

Unattainable Ideal
KarinsDad said:
His brother will probably have to be undead since everyone the sorcerer knew died a few hundred years ago.
Even better! Because why just have a cranky sorcerer when you can have a cranky UNDEAD sorcerer?

Barsoomcore. Undead Whore.

shilsen

Adventurer
KarinsDad said:
Yeah, except that his brother will probably have to be undead since everyone the sorcerer knew died a few hundred years ago.

And that's a problem because...?

The only thing better than a recurring villain is an undead recurring villain. May I recommend that since his brother has had a few hundred years to hone his skills, he be a half-vampire half-drow half-fiend lich archmage :D (wouldn't want to disappoint the people posting on all the 'do you use templates, you non-purist scum' threads, would we?)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads