• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The best laid plans of mice and DMs

poor poor villains

I can also sympathize. I was running a campaign in the FR where my recurring villain was a mind flayer-20th level psion. He was supposed to knock the snot out of the party and then escape and get them to follow to keep the plot going. THe party was 16th level more or less and this shoulda been farely tough to even survive especially considering there were other tough nasties in the room. The mind flayer goes, temporal velocity, 3d4 I get a 12, 12 rounds to prepare and I'm untouchable by the PC's in the meantime. I come out of it the cleric casts destruction.

O.O<--my face when I rolled a 4 on the fort save.

sensing I failed I manifested Fate of One, which is psionic equivalent of Luck domain.

I rolled....

another 4

CR 20+ nasty killed with one seventh level spell....

all I have to say is that....he'll be back

silburnl

First Post
Steverooo said:
Well, this-here'll be my last post to this thread. I suppose that you can reply to it, if y'want, but I won't be reading it...

KarinsDad, I'm with you...

Well I've read the thread and I'm with Barsoom, so this utterly unscientific straw-poll is split 50-50.

(and no, Barsoom, I don't think he was rude to you, nor implying what you claim he was - take a chill pill, willya?)

Actually, while I don't think KarinsDad was *intending* to be rude (indeed I believe he/she is consiously being civil) I think Barsoom is pretty much spot-on in saying that various choices of phrase and word reveal an underlying disdain for the playstyle that Barsoom is describing - the unspoken subtext is that B's loose narrativism (to borrow a forge-ism) is somehow simple-minded, inferior and/or ethically dubious. As such B. is entirely justified in calling these verbal infelicities to K's attention as its entirely likely that K isn't consiously aware of these biases and how they might blind him/her to what B is driving at.

Just to be even-handed here I think K is doing a good job at taking B's points on board and not unleashing the flamethrowers, so there's plenty of opportunity for fruitful discussion - both parties need to be aware of the dangers of talking past each other however.

In the interests of further amity I'll now make the mandatory reference to "Robin's Laws" (everyone should read it!) and bow out of the discussion - B and K (and anyone else), I yield the floor.

Regards
Luke

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads