The Best & Worst of 3rd Edition: SINGLE BEST Product of 3rd edition (poll closed)

Choose the single one you like best

• Draconomicon (WotC)

Votes: 46 6.2%
  • Eberron Campaign Setting (WotC)

Votes: 124 16.8%
  • Magic Item Compendium (WotC)

Votes: 37 5.0%
  • Player's Handbook II (WotC)

Votes: 81 11.0%
  • Spell Compendium (WotC)

Votes: 45 6.1%
  • Unearthed Arcana (WotC)

Votes: 81 11.0%
  • Complete Book of Eldritch Might (MP)

Votes: 13 1.8%
  • A Magical Medieval Society: Western Europe (XRP)

Votes: 35 4.7%
  • Midnight (FF)

Votes: 31 4.2%
  • Pathfinder: Rise of the Runelords (Pz)

Votes: 83 11.3%
  • Ptolus (MP)

Votes: 104 14.1%
  • Tome of Horrors I (rev.) (NG)

Votes: 38 5.2%
  • I want ZAZ, and they ain’t got it.

Votes: 19 2.6%

• Poll closed .

pogre

Legend
The book I have used in every single campaign since it was published - A Magical Medieval Society: Western Europe (XRP).

MarauderX

Explorer
Felix said:
3rd Edition Player's Handbook.

It represented such a huge shift towards consistency, balance and thoroughness from 2nd edition that every product afterwards became derivative. Other books reached greater heights, but they stood on the strong, strong shoulders of the 3e PHB.

My vote is for this as well, for the same reasons.

Psion

Adventurer
Harneloot said:
ANYONE who doesn't vote Ptolus has simply never really read the Big Brick nor played a campaign within the city.

I own and have read it. I won't dispute its quality either in presentation or content.

But as is, it's far from the most useful book I own. It's the best book on my shelves... where it generally remains.

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
With 285 votes...

Ptolus (MP) 21.40%
Eberron Campaign Setting (WotC) 17.19%
Unearthed Arcana (WotC) 12.98%
Player's Handbook II (WotC) 8.42%
Midnight (FF) 7.02%
Draconomicon (WotC) 5.61%
A Magical Medieval Society: Western Europe (XRP) 5.26%
Pathfinder: Rise of the Runelords (Pz) 5.26%
Magic Item Compendium (WotC) 4.21%
Spell Compendium (WotC) 4.21%
Tome of Horrors I (rev.) (NG) 4.21%
Complete Book of Eldritch Might (MP) 2.11%

A big change in the rankings! It interesting, in the other polls, after a couple hundred votes, things started to settled down. That doesn't seem to be the case here.

Psion

Adventurer
TerraDave said:
With 285 votes...

Ptolus (MP) 21.40%
Eberron Campaign Setting (WotC) 17.19%
Unearthed Arcana (WotC) 12.98%
Player's Handbook II (WotC) 8.42%
Midnight (FF) 7.02%
Draconomicon (WotC) 5.61%
A Magical Medieval Society: Western Europe (XRP) 5.26%
Pathfinder: Rise of the Runelords (Pz) 5.26%
Magic Item Compendium (WotC) 4.21%
Spell Compendium (WotC) 4.21%
Tome of Horrors I (rev.) (NG) 4.21%
Complete Book of Eldritch Might (MP) 2.11%

A big change in the rankings! It interesting, in the other polls, after a couple hundred votes, things started to settled down. That doesn't seem to be the case here.

When I've seen this happen on other polls, I've been able to trace it back to a campaign on a forum dedicated to the product. I wouldn't be surprised to see a call to arms over on OkayYourTurn. ;)

WhatGravitas

Explorer
TerraDave said:
Unearthed has been strong in all these polls, but some products: PHB II, CBoEM, MIC, that did well earlier not so much now. Good but not great?
I guess because they are mainly crunchy add-on books. It's something you use often, hence they were going strong in the last polls. But now, in such a small selection, good crunch isn't enough. Good crunch + flexibility + flavour wins here. And UA, Eberron, and Ptolus offer that wide range of appeal. And Ptolus is incredibly shiny - it's the D&D equivalent of bling.

Cheers, LT.

Vayden

First Post
*laughs* Hey Dave, Monte's rigging your poll! (Teaches me to read all the way through before I vote - I glanced over the list and went with PHB II - didn't even see Ptolus on there, otherwise I would have voted for it too).

Remove ads