• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E The Biggest Issue in 5E

What is the biggest issue in 5E design?

• Ability Scores

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Actions

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Artwork

• Classes: Balance

Votes: 7 5.5%
  • Classes: Variety

Votes: 4 3.1%
  • Combat Speed

Votes: 22 17.3%
  • Default Setting

• Equipment

• Experience

• Feats

• Game Balance

Votes: 7 5.5%
  • Game Compatability

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • Game Design

Votes: 26 20.5%
  • Game Style

Votes: 14 11.0%
  • Healing

Votes: 3 2.4%
  • Hit Points

Votes: 5 3.9%
  • Magic Items

• Mathematics

• Monsters

• Open Gaming License

Votes: 8 6.3%
  • Powers

• Psionics

• Races

• Save Throws

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • Skills

• Software

• Spells

Votes: 5 3.9%

KesselZero

First Post
I chose "Game Style" because I've found 4e to be restrictive of the style of game that it can run. Disclaimer: I know this is an extremely hot-button issue, so what follows is only my opinion, based on my experience, in my games. YMMV, etc.

I run a sandbox campaign, and I love the Exploration pillar of D&D most of all. In 4e, I've found two things that make it hard to run the game I really want. First, that on their own, traps are almost meaningless. They're best as elements of a combat encounter, or as mega-traps that are basically Skill Challenges. The old pressure-plate-arrow setup isn't a threat at all. Second, the length of combats. I want to be able to throw in random encounters, especially during travel, but they eat up so much time and get so repetitive that I've pretty much stopped. I feel as though the only real option for a fast combat is one that's much too easy.

So I'd like to see a 5e that's able to support my playstyle. Not ONLY my playstyle-- I have no illusions that my way is best or only. I just want to be able to run fast combats (combat speed was my second choice, but I decided it fell under style anyway) and have traps, puzzles, etc. be as mechanically meaningful as everything else. More complex stuff should of course be available, but as modules.

Oh, and I want rules for strongholds.

OnlineDM

Adventurer
I said "game design" as a catch-all. I almost said "spells" because of how desperately I want there to be at-will spellcasting for wizards (yes, I know this is in direct opposition to an earlier poster's desire!), but it sounds like they've already got that covered so far via a feat. I can live with that.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads