• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The biggest issue with the new Character Builder:

Dungeoneer

First Post
I too work in software development as a programmer. And I am astonished by the suggestion that end users are not qualified to criticize the program they are using.

If anything it's developers, QA testers and other people close to the project who are not qualified. IT people tend to give program development some slack, since they know it is a difficult process. End users just know whether or not the software helps them do what they want to do.

Isn't that the whole point?

OH, I know, software development is hard. There's so much that can go wrong at every level, from requirements to writing code to testing to project mismanagement and impossible deadlines.

You'll get no argument from me: creating functional, useful, easy-to-use software that works 99% of the time is difficult job.

But you know what? If you're involved in software development, that is your damn job. So quit making excuses and make it happen.

WotC is a professional company writing professional software that will be utilized by tens of thousands of users. If they don't think that they are up to that challenge, they need to outsource it to somebody who is.

In the meantime, when Earl from Kentucky can't import his houseruled Dark Sun character into the new CB without crashing, he has a right to be cheesed off. He is, after all, the customer who is paying for this service. He doesn't have to know how it works, or how hard it is to make it work. He just has to know that it does work for what he wants to do.

And as of today, Earl from Kentucky knows that the new CB doesn't work.

On a side note: I've been trying, and failing, to think of another situation where a company basically switched off its old program virtually without notice two weeks before launching version 2.0. It's like Microsoft telling Windows 7 users "No more updates are forthcoming, as we are developing Windows 8, which you will be required to switch to at the end of the month!"

Really bizarre.

I hear all these defenses along the lines of "it was too hard to implement the new stuff in the old CB!" Really? Harder than developing entirely new software? Seriously.

Anyway, the argument rings even more hollow when I've got most of Dark Sun, including themes, up and running in my old skool CB right. now.

rjdafoe

Explorer
I hear all these defenses along the lines of "it was too hard to implement the new stuff in the old CB!" Really? Harder than developing entirely new software? Seriously.

Anyway, the argument rings even more hollow when I've got most of Dark Sun, including themes, up and running in my old skool CB right. now.

I agree. You know what is even funnier - their customers adding the content that they said they could not. Do a google search if you want to. It is not hard to do at all.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Since I've never used either version of the program, I don't have a side in this fight.

But it seems painfully obvious to me that where there's smoke there's usually fire, and there are simply too many normally pro-4Ed, pro-CB posters- including a LOT with actual skill in the field of programming- complaining about the bugginess of this new offering for there not to be something wrong.

Oh yeah- its also 100% valid for end users of ANY product to critique its ability to do the job that it was purchased to do.

evilref

Explorer
I agree. You know what is even funnier - their customers adding the content that they said they could not. Do a google search if you want to. It is not hard to do at all.

At the point said people have added all of essentials, you'll be right. Until then they've added the 'easy' stuff, which were made easier by the frameworks already being in place in the Classic CB.

Obryn

Hero
But it seems painfully obvious to me that where there's smoke there's usually fire, and there are simply too many normally pro-4Ed, pro-CB posters- including a LOT with actual skill in the field of programming- complaining about the bugginess of this new offering for there not to be something wrong.

Oh yeah- its also 100% valid for end users of ANY product to critique its ability to do the job that it was purchased to do.
Yep. I certainly don't have any kind of ulterior motives here. I want WotC to succeed, I want 4e to go on for years, and I really don't mind giving them my money. I even honestly like change - I think Essentials is new and daring, and am glad it's a part of 4e now.

Anyways, I can honestly say that the new CB hasn't crashed on me yet. So I don't have that particular critique on either of my systems under any browser. (Tried so far on Win7 x64, Vista x64, Chrome, and Firefox 3.6.) So I'm not seeing that particular problem. It's also attractive, and I like how it changes based on the campaign you're using.

It is, however, quite slow. It's buggy on data and math. Workable combinations don't work. Sheets and cards can't be customized, and there's zero house rule support - not even the minimal support offered in the old one. It sometimes hangs for 10 seconds or so for no apparent reason. And the interface makes me want to scream. Look, the original CB was not a marvel of ergonomics, but I defy anyone to tell me that the new equipment/marketplace screens are an improvement over the old CB. :)

-O

I think the biggest issue is obvious when you start it up: it says "Version=0.1.115.0". This is an early beta, and they know it.

And as an early beta, it's not too bad: it runs, you can make at least some characters with it, it doesn't crash too often. But as something that's supposed to be a replacement of the offline CB it's completely inadequate.

Dungeoneer

First Post
I've seen this mentioned many times. Could you give me a pointer in the right direction?
You need a freely available program called CBLoader which allows you to modify your CB's data XML files in the comfort of your own home. Once you have that there are posters on the SomethingAwful/Trad Games forums who have been putting together packages for DS and Essentials. There's a big honking D&D 4e thread that you just have to wade through. Hopefully once the 'update' is complete, they'll put it out there in a convenient, easy-to-get-to location.

Obryn

Hero
You need a freely available program called CBLoader which allows you to modify your CB's data XML files in the comfort of your own home. Once you have that there are posters on the SomethingAwful/Trad Games forums who have been putting together packages for DS and Essentials. There's a big honking D&D 4e thread that you just have to wade through. Hopefully once the 'update' is complete, they'll put it out there in a convenient, easy-to-get-to location.
But does it include Essentials classes?

Remove ads