• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Book of Boba Fett (spoilers)

Zardnaar

Legend
I'll admit this show isn't as exciting as I was hoping it would be. I'm still enjoying it but it definitely could have done with better pacing. Since they called it the book of Boba Fett, I feel like they should have made each episode a distinct chapter in his life.

Mixing the flashbacks with the present day (via the bacta tank, in which Boba conveniently picks up his memories where he left off the last time) is a bit jarring.

I think it might have worked better as:
Chapter 1: Boba escapes sarlacc and becomes a prisoner of the Tuskens
Chapter 2: Boba earns the Tuskens' respect and is accepted into the tribe
Chapter 3: Tuskens die, Boba goes off alone, finds Fennec and saves her life
Chapter 4: Boba and Fennec recover his ship, get revenge on Niktos and sarlacc, hunt down Mando to recover armor
Chapter 5-7: After killing Bib Fortuna, Boba gets the lay of the land and struggles to win over the local crime families while fending off Hutts, Pykes, etc. (as we've seen in the present day bits)

What do folks think of people's theories that the Pykes aren't the true enemies? Some people are suggesting it'll be Qi'ra and Crimson Dawn behind all of it. I think that's a valid theory, but I feel like this deep into the show, it'll just be a quick reveal at the end with a setup for a second season in which Boba has to take on Qi'ra.

Also, I really hope they're leading up to some kind of thing where Boba ensures the Tuskens get better treatment / recognition of their indigenous rights / etc. It started off looking like that might happen, but then they killed off the tribe in that "I'm adventuring because bandits killed my parents and I want revenge" fashion, which was a little bit of a letdown. I was hoping he'd recruit them to his cause in the present. I don't want the Tuskens to end up being little more than a plot device to help Boba improve his life or something. (Fennec: "The Tuskens made you soft." Boba: "No, they made me strong." Hmm ...)

Oh, one last thing: in this episode, Fennec pays off her debt by helping Boba get his ship back and then chooses to "stick around for the ride" ... so why then did she tell Mando on Tython that she was still indebted to Boba for saving her life? These shows were created by the same people. Did they really forget that detail?

Yeah, I noticed that too. I hope that gets addressed in an upcoming episode.

I don't recall anyone ever referring to Jabba as "daimyo" before. That's been rather jarring for me. Less so the other references.

Well, yes, but I still think there's more than a few nods to Quadrophenia specifically. Did the real mods have a ridiculous number of side mirrors on their Vespas, or was that just Quadrophenia? It was really that minor detail that made me think Quadrophenia. And if you google "Boba Fett Quadrophenia", you'll see I'm not the only one who made that connection.

Yep Mandalorian was picking up steam around episode 4.

This one's meandering a bit. If you told me a random Mando could be more interesting than Fett in live action a few years ago....

He was barely alive, and those thieving Jawas took it off of him without him fighting back.

I know he was messed up at the time. But did he think he took it off before escaping?, or did he think maybe he took it off after getting out and it had slid back into the pit? I guess the second is possible. Just seemed a strange conclusion to jump to. I'll do a rewatch at some point once it's all out, so I'll try and pay a bit more attention next time.

pukunui

Legend
I know he was messed up at the time. But did he think he took it off before escaping?, or did he think maybe he took it off after getting out and it had slid back into the pit? I guess the second is possible. Just seemed a strange conclusion to jump to. I'll do a rewatch at some point once it's all out, so I'll try and pay a bit more attention next time.
Yeah, I think he was too "out of it" / in survival mode when he escaped the sarlacc pit to remember that the jawas took his armor off him and just assumed he'd left it behind in the pit.

So the mods are actually called "Mods".

And "fire in the hole".

And "Daimyo".

Did Star Wars always have these 20th century earth terms and references? I know Lucas largely borrowed from existing earth cultures, but he didn't tend to use the terminology directly, did he? (I'm sure somebody will point out a dozen times he did now!)
I'm pretty sure the "Fire in the Hole" expression was also used in The Clone Wars. The lingua franca of the Star Wars galaxy is modern American English, including idiom and loan words. One could Tolkien it and say it's translated by sense.

Last edited:

Bolares

Hero
Yes.

And we will be treated to about 2 minutes of "present day" per episode, followed by approximately 53 minutes of flashback showing such crucial events as Boba Fett deciding to shave his head; why Boba Fett's cape has a stain on it (not that stain, the other stain. no, the OTHER other stain); Boba Fett shopping for bacta tanks; Boba Fett driving - IN REAL TIME - to Mos Entha to pick up grain-free rancor chow, and; Boba Fett filling out the rebate card for the bacta tank.

Oh, and any vaguely menacing criminal that is introduced will immediately be killed to maximize audience letdown misdirection.
Am I the only one that was really in to the flashback scenes?

embee

Lawyer by day. Rules lawyer by night.
I would interpret it as myth, not literal truth.

Although I don't believe Boba could have been in the Sarlacc for more than a few days, since the crash site was still being looted.

Five years with the Tuskans is a good title for a memoir.
If the first season was nothing but him with the Tuskens, basically Dances With Bantha, I'd be down with that.

Build it up gradually to where the S1 Big Bad is the Pyke Syndicate in the form of the spice train. Season Finale is the Train Job. Denouement is Boba laying down the law that these are the Tuskens ancestral lands and aren't free for the Pykes to use, yada yada yada. Now you have a full season story arc with an opening for a second season.

Instead, what could have been a full season that is devoted to addressing issues of colonialism and appropriation in SW, that entire issue was compressed needlessly.

As to literal truth in SW, people need to understand that characters in SW are gasp capable of lying.

"I don't seem to recall ever owning a droid."

I mean, it's frikkin' Threepio! Pretty much every word he ever utters is hyperbole. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised to find out that, contrary to his boastful claims, that Threepio speaks only Basic, conversational French, some Latin, and "un poco of Spanish."

Basically, Threepio is the guy you see doing sign language at local political press conferences and then find out three days later that he wasn't doing ASL at all but was just gesticulating gibberish.

Remove ads