• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Book of Boba Fett (spoilers)

Stalker0

Legend
Overall, it was a pretty meh show to me. It wasn't "bad", I didn't hate it, but if it had never been made I wouldn't have missed it. I did enjoy the Rancor vs droid fight at the end. The finale did employ some tactics that would have GOT season 8 blush (we have this invincible droid, I know, lets send our men right next to it so the enemy has something to shoot!), but at the end of the day SW tactics have never made a lick of sense, so I let it slide.

I feel like the show was stretched, it tried to cover so much and never did any of it that well. If they wanted it to be about Boba's past with the Sand people, fine. If they wanted it to be about his obtaining of crime boss power, fine. If it was meant to be a thinly veiled attempt to be Mandalorian S3 and have Boba and Mando do hijinxs together....fine. But doing it all over a few episodes just made everything feel very thin.

I also think Mando outshines Boba pretty much all the time. Mando is more interesting, Mando is more badass, Mando has more interesting characters he hangs out with, Mando is actually driven to do things as opposed to feeling like his just there "because".

I am actually very curious how Mando S3 will start. Are they going to assume people watched BoBF to be caught up? I guess that's the norm now in the world of connected storytelling.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Overall, it was a pretty meh show to me. It wasn't "bad", I didn't hate it, but if it had never been made I wouldn't have missed it. I did enjoy the Rancor vs droid fight at the end. The finale did employ some tactics that would have GOT season 8 blush (we have this invincible droid, I know, lets send our men right next to it so the enemy has something to shoot!), but at the end of the day SW tactics have never made a lick of sense, so I let it slide.

I feel like the show was stretched, it tried to cover so much and never did any of it that well. If they wanted it to be about Boba's past with the Sand people, fine. If they wanted it to be about his obtaining of crime boss power, fine. If it was meant to be a thinly veiled attempt to be Mandalorian S3 and have Boba and Mando do hijinxs together....fine. But doing it all over a few episodes just made everything feel very thin.
thats a really good point and really they coukd have had the stories spread over two (maybe three) seasons and given the stories more depth.

season 1 - Dances with Tuskens, first encounter with Freetown, does the great brown savior shtick with the Train raid as finale

season 2 - follows the Spice back to Mos Espa, do the Man With No Name/Daimyo story

Boba Fat was mediocre. They took Star Wars laconic bounty hunter and turned him into an Amway salesman. The gangs were corny. It was the West Side Story: Mos Espa edition. Riding around on Vespa scooters with a cyber eye and a sidearm, eager to join up the next crime boss. Seriously, no one in the gang defected to the Pyke Syndicate? The fight with the shields and stun batons was absurd. Anyone in Mandalorian armor would have ended that fight instantly using their jetpack and flame thrower. I do like what they did with the shields and the giant battle droids. Although, they found a way to make it tedious. Don't even get my started on the final fight with Cad Bane.

One thing that really annoyed me was the relationship between Shand and Fett. There was no indication that either of them had a particular style or way of doing things. Normally when experts are confronted with a problem their expertise comes into play. When there's two experts then it's a matter of style or approach, and that can be a point of contention. We got none of that. In fact, they got along too well.

The best part of the show was when we stopped caring about Boba's book and got back to the Mandalorian.

BrokenTwin

Biological Disaster
Finished the show. Final episode was good. Well, the tactics were garbage and the setup even more unbelievable than Star Wars normally is, but there were some fun visuals and the main character finally got to look cool in his own show, so I'll give it a pass.

Zardnaar

Legend
Finished the show. Final episode was good. Well, the tactics were garbage and the setup even more unbelievable than Star Wars normally is, but there were some fun visuals and the main character finally got to look cool in his own show, so I'll give it a pass.

Yeah that's my take on it.

Overall I liked the season but it's no Mandalorian.

Remove ads