• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Book of Exalted Deeds - It's Here! (merged - full ToC posted)

Olive

Explorer
Coik said:
I honestly don't know what WotC hopes to accomplish with these alignment books.

Cool crunch? That's why I buy them. And given they were Monte's idea, I'm not sure that his other work proves that the alignment system is uusable, even if it isn't strictly necessary.

Regardless, evil has a wider definition than the ione you gave, and animate dead falls into the using evil power (in the evil as a actual force sense) for ones own gain. Creating undead without asking the owner of the body is just wrong.

jdavis

First Post
Just wanted to chime in that so far I love the book, I loved the BoVD and I have absolutely no problem whatsoever with alignment in my game, it's not a issue, we can figure out what is good and what is evil. I like the ideas presented and if I want to make a truely vile evil or a extremely exalted hero these books do help a lot. The big thing I have gotten from both these books is a lot of really good ways to dress my setting up and a lot of ideas for adding flavor to my game. The BoVD has added flavor to many of my adventures and the BoED answered some pressing questions my characters had in the last session, my next adventure will be based around information in the book (the characters found some truly evil weapons, some of them intelligent and very powerful and they were unsure how to dispose of them, the BoED gave me some very good ideas). The books are very good companions to each other and I am very impressed with the Book of Exalted Deeds. Somebody mentioned a book for Neutral stuff and I think that is a good idea too (you listening Darrin :) ).

Gez

First Post
Rather than neutral as in neutrality, one for chaos and law. These two alignments are much harder to assess than good and evil.

What are law and chaos? Rigidity and flexibility? Conservatism and progressism? Civilization and anarchy? Community and individualism? Crystalline stasis and unstable mutations? Fascism and social darwinism?

None of these seem to fit.

Besides, that would make a fine echo for Planescape's books Planes of Law, Chaos, and between both, Conflict.

So the vow of poverty gives off the trade off of not being able to own any magic items or much at all (I guess using my hybrid D&D/D20M system wealth would be capped at +1). And I wouldn't even allow such a character to take Prestige Races (and lose them all if they had any before) not to mention any types of alterations spread through out the different D20 books, should they take that feat.

Trainz

Explorer
jasamcarl said:
(Vow of Poverty) Now, I haven't seen this, but how are they getting something for free? They are giving up the use of all magic items for 10 extra feats.
You haven't indeed seen it.

You give up use of ALL ITEMS, not just magic (you're allowed some rags and a staff, more or less, and food for ONE DAY).

Your fellow PC's can buy you food and support you however, but must never give you something, even temporarily i.e. they can cure you with a wand of cure, but they cannot lend you a cloak of resistance for a few rounds. They can pay for your lodging, your food, and cast all the spells they want on you.

In exchange you gain 10 exalted feats (many of which are very super-nifty) AND a S-Load of powers that more or less put you on par with the other PCs. You get all sorts of enhancements on AC, saves, ability scores, your weapon functions just like a magical plushthree-whatever, and much more, all improving with character level.

The two best classes for the Vow of Poverty IMO are sorceror and monk.

A poor monk would K.I.C.K. A.R.S.E.

frankthedm

First Post
Brian Chalian said:
That's reassuring. I've been looking forward to this book since it was announced, but was afraid it would just be a list of more things paladins can't do, like smite evil dragons, or attack evil priests, or glare at hobgoblin teenagers... you've seen the posts before. :/

Don't forget giving Orcus mercy :D

frankthedm

First Post
Gez said:
What are law and chaos? ....Crystalline stasis and unstable mutations?

Taken to thier final extreams that is more or less what you get.

With the unstable mutations applying to phyics, matter, energy, space and time.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads