The Book of Exalted Deeds - It's Here! (merged - full ToC posted)

jester47

First Post
Al Capone had children, a wife he loved and a legit position in business before he became what he was. There can be no doubt that he loved his son. Hitler is overused in moral debates. I think we should use Al.

Aaron.

Last edited:

No temple or religious organization needs to give its formal approval for a character to become a saint. Rather, sainthood is a gift bestowed by the deities of good and the mightiest celestials to those exalted heroes who deserve it....

* Must be of good alignment.
* Must have at least three exalted feats.
* Must never have lost the benefit of exalted feats or class abilities because of committing an evil act, even if the character properly attoned.
* Must at all times behave in a way the DM considers to be exemplary of the exalted path described in this book.
* Must be at least 6th level.
* Must make an extraordinary sacrifice (not necessarily his life) for the good of another.
* [Plus whatever other requirements the DM sets.]

A character who meets these criteria... can acquire the saint template.

[You have to "buy back" your next two character levels in XP after becoming a saint, because the saint template is so frontloaded.]

"Saint" is an acquired template that can be added to any living creature that is not an outsider or an elemental.

* Type -> Outsider (native)
* insight bonus to AC equal to Wis modifier
* Holy Power (Su): save DCs for spells, Sp, Su, Ex increase by +2
* Holy Touch (Su): +1d6 holy damage with weapons (+1d8 against evil undead/outsiders)
* Spell-Like Abilities: At will--guidance, resistance, virtue, bless.
* DR based on HD, up to 10/evil at 12+
* Fast Healing (HD/2, max 10)
* immune to acid, cold, electricity, petrification; resist fire 10; +4 Fort saves against poison
* low-light vision, 60-ft. darkvision
* Protective Aura (Su) = double-strength magic circle against evil + lesser globe of invulnerability
* Tongues (Su) always active
* Con +2, Wis +2, Cha +4
CR +2
LA +2

Murrdox

First Post
LuYangShih said:
I was looking forward to this book because I thought it might create a standard response for tough moral situations, by D&D rules. Instead, it seems that it is going to do nothing more than add to the problem already present.

Eh?? You expected the book to describe all the "Rules" to morality? Percentile tables to determine whether a Paladin feels bad about killing a murderer, but at the same time widowing his innocent wife?

Half the fun of D&D is ROLEPLAYING.

God, it'd be pathetic as a DM if I ever had to say to a player, "okay, roll the dice to see if you feel bad about what you just did."

LuYangShih

First Post
I expected this book to fully flesh out what is Good and what is not in regards to difficult moral situations. Just look at the alignment threads in the past week alone in this forum. The alignment rules are so undeveloped and undetailed that many DMs propose throwing them out of the game altogether to avoid potential headaches. Having a clear definition of what the Good alignment in D&D really means would have been quite welcome.

LuYangShih said:
To say that the Paladin should even consider sparing them because of one possibly redeeming characteristic is patently ludicrous.
With that attitude we would never have had Sepulchrave II's brilliant story hour - the whole thing started with a paladin PC attempting to redeem a succubus.

On an unrelated note, I seriously tire of the female-female pairings seen in so many RPG products nowadays. It is blatant pandering
Now that I heartily agree with. However, it's just one cheesy painting in the book. Not worth getting your knickers in a twist about.

PowerWordDumb

First Post
Voadam said:
Why does it have the mature label on it?

Nipple clamps of exquisite pleasure?

*ducks*

Not really much call for the mature label in my estimation, apart from the obvious "let's not offend anyone who may read into what we've written and derive insults from it" motivation. It's pretty tame.

LuYangShih

First Post
Sepulchrave has a markedly different cosmology than standard D&D, and even given that, she was the first ever known to be redeemed. Furthermore, she surrendered herself to the Paladins judgement, and admitted her entire scheme, as well as the previous sins she had committed. When a sentient creature shows an honest desire to redeem itself, than a Paladin is justified in attempting to help guide it along, but until then, that is not the case. Paladins are holy warriors combating evil, not social workers.

Voadam

Legend
Joshua Randall said:
No temple or religious organization needs to give its formal approval for a character to become a saint. Rather, sainthood is a gift bestowed by the deities of good and the mightiest celestials to those exalted heroes who deserve it....

* Must be of good alignment.
* Must have at least three exalted feats.
* Must never have lost the benefit of exalted feats or class abilities because of committing an evil act, even if the character properly attoned.
* Must at all times behave in a way the DM considers to be exemplary of the exalted path described in this book.
* Must be at least 6th level.
* Must make an extraordinary sacrifice (not necessarily his life) for the good of another.
* [Plus whatever other requirements the DM sets.]

A character who meets these criteria... can acquire the saint template.

[You have to "buy back" your next two character levels in XP after becoming a saint, because the saint template is so frontloaded.]

"Saint" is an acquired template that can be added to any living creature that is not an outsider or an elemental.

* Type -> Outsider (native)
* insight bonus to AC equal to Wis modifier
* Holy Power (Su): save DCs for spells, Sp, Su, Ex increase by +2
* Holy Touch (Su): +1d6 holy damage with weapons (+1d8 against evil undead/outsiders)
* Spell-Like Abilities: At will--guidance, resistance, virtue, bless.
* DR based on HD, up to 10/evil at 12+
* Fast Healing (HD/2, max 10)
* immune to acid, cold, electricity, petrification; resist fire 10; +4 Fort saves against poison
* low-light vision, 60-ft. darkvision
* Protective Aura (Su) = double-strength magic circle against evil + lesser globe of invulnerability
* Tongues (Su) always active
* Con +2, Wis +2, Cha +4
CR +2
LA +2

Cool, a template for a living saint as opposed to a patron saint.

Interesting choice on the DR, saints are protected from everybody except supernatural evil as opposed to the devil not being able to touch those of pure hearts. Of course this allows their attacks to be treated as good aligned.

gfunk

First Post
Thanks for sharing the contents of the BoED you guys! Actually, I wasn't too interested in purchasing it but after hearing more about it, my interest is piqued.

I am playing a LG celestial in our current campaign and I was wondering if you could tell me if there are "crunchy bits" for me, such as new feats.

Also, could you please list the CRs of the new Archons?

Many thanks!

Voadam

Legend
LuYangShih said:
Sepulchrave has a markedly different cosmology than standard D&D, and even given that, she was the first ever known to be redeemed. Furthermore, she surrendered herself to the Paladins judgement, and admitted her entire scheme, as well as the previous sins she had committed. When a sentient creature shows an honest desire to redeem itself, than a Paladin is justified in attempting to help guide it along, but until then, that is not the case. Paladins are holy warriors combating evil, not social workers.

A paladin is not justified in attempting to help guide along a sentient creature unless it surrenders itself for judgment, admits its entire scheme, as well as previous sins?

Remove ads