The Captain's Caper! (Dunamin judging)

Atanatotatos

First Post
If your intention is making Quagmire a more buffing leader (which I approve!!), a couple suggestions would be Warlord's strike instead of Inspiring War cry. Or even better, retraining the lvl 2 utility, for Inspired belligerance (MP)it's awesome!

Also, if you have in mind to use commander's strike as yor primary at-will (which I definitely approve, too) you might forego multiclassing for now and take lend might (MP feat) instead; awesome feat.
If you think using commander's strike all the time is boring, I have no problems if you roll Alex' basic attacks (+10 vs AC, 1d12+6 dmg).

EDIT:Quag has 14 Int if I remember right? Calculated assault (lvl 1 daily MP)or Lead the attack are worth considering too.

EDIT2: Ah, I checked and I see that it's Dex that is 14; Int is 12, so it's not really worth it... If you were to overhaul, I'd say maybe tweak the ability scores a bit. Like, if you do't want to be roguish anymore, for example, there isn't much to gain from that high Dexterity.
Maybe something like Str 16 Con 14 Dex 10 Int 14 Wis 8 Cha 18?
The defenses don't change, only Will is better, and you don't really lose much (-2 to initiative and -1 to wisdom skill checks) but it is certainly more warlord-focused.
Well, you do lose the chance to specialize in heavy blades in the future, if that's what you wanted. In that case you might want to scrap Int instead.

Last edited:

covaithe

Explorer
Yes, good points, Ata. I'd considered Lend Might, but mostly while I was investigating a full tactlord build, which I decided against, and then got distracted by something shiny before thinking too much about a halfway build. You're right that MC bard doesn't really win me much right now; it's basically a 1/day heal, and trading that for +1 to hit with my bread-and-butter at will is probably a win.

Yes, the high Dex was mostly so that I could qualify for MC rogue, and if I'm dropping that, an overhaul to put the stats to better use is a good idea. I'm not too concerned about specialization; that's a long way off.

I've been a little reluctant to use powers with short-term buffs, like Inspired Belligerence and Warlord's strike. Maybe it's lack of imagination, but I find myself looking at them and thinking, 3 or 4 extra damage? Meh. Yeah, I know it could be spectacular if the stars align and everyone novas and such, but most of the time, it's going to be one or two hits. I think that getting the right tactical position and having control of the fight is better than an extra 6 or 8 damage. Still, I can see what you mean about Warlord's strike, at least. With a higher CHA, that's certainly appealing.

Here's what Quagmire looks like with your suggestions:

[sblock=Quagmire, buffing build]
Quagmire Weaselcrust, level 3
Hobgoblin, Warlord
Commanding Presence: Inspiring Presence

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 16, Con 14, Dex 10, Int 14, Wis 8, Cha 18.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 16, Con 12, Dex 10, Int 14, Wis 8, Cha 16.

AC: 19 Fort: 15 Reflex: 14 Will: 16
HP: 36 Surges: 9 Surge Value: 9

TRAINED SKILLS
Endurance +7, Intimidate +10, Athletics +10, Diplomacy +10

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics, Arcana +3, Bluff +5, Dungeoneering, Heal, History +5, Insight, Nature, Perception, Religion +3, Stealth, Streetwise +5, Thievery

FEATS
Level 1: Improved Inspiring Word
Level 2: Lend Might

POWERS
Warlord at-will 1: Commander's Strike
Warlord at-will 1: Wolf Pack Tactics
Warlord daily 1: Bastion of Defense
Warlord encounter 1: Hammer and Anvil
Warlord encounter 3: Warlord's Strike
Warlord utility 2: Inspired Belligerence

ITEMS
Chainmail of Sacrifice +1, Light Shield, Vanguard Longsword +1
[/sblock]

Hmm. I do think I like that slightly better. It does require an overhaul, though, which would require the proposal about overhauls past level 2 to pass.

garyh

First Post
It does require an overhaul, though, which would require the proposal about overhauls past level 2 to pass.

It hasn't? We should remedy that. With new material constantly being added, it seems level 2 is an arbitrary limit. I know that I, for one, want the right to rebuild Hrav's race (re-skinned half-orc, probably) when WotC eventually hoses bugbears like they did minotaurs.

Phoenix8008

First Post
The Digger said:
I will retrain Vampiric Embrace into Chains of Levisitus if AP cuts in before we start again. So if I can find out I can start considering Girth's sheet.
AP is available the third week of July (or exactly on July 21).
I'm thinking we'll be starting before July 21st. So Girth will probably have to wait till next level up to take advantage of AP. Sorry. I've got just a little more homework to finish up before starting the sequel, and people have to finish leveling up and getting approved anyway so hopefully this next week I'll shift things over to a new thread. Feel free to keep using this thread for discussion of character concepts though.

Atanatotatos

First Post
OR Girth can start the adventure un-approved. It's not forbidden, if the DM is ok with it.

Btw, are we going to be in Daunton? The MMC might enjoy some rp-ing in the Hanged man after all this time. We got bragging rights after beatig a dragon to death(almost), after all.

Btw, I'm not really sure how much time the whole adventure took IC. I guess most of the time must be the travel lenght, but how much is it actually? About a week or so?

Atanatotatos

First Post
...so I was taking a look at Girth's sheet since Digger asked for opinions.
Actually, I like Vampiric embrace very much, so I wouldn't retrain it, but chain ov levistus is a great power too, so...
For the utility, what do you think of Fey bargain? If you use i right, it's a useful encounter buff (sually you can assess if there will be important saves to make in a fight).
What are you thinkig for your level 3 encounter? Fiery bolt does a bunch of damage, but Hrav would love frigid darkness, I bet.

For feats, I mentioned Distant advantage as a great choice already, but since I noticed you haven't been particularly lucky with rolls, why not retrai Improved initiative too, for, like, Improved fate of the void?

Just a couple of thoughts.

Phoenix8008

First Post
True, there is nothing stopping him from playing unapproved. He just can't get XP while unapproved. And I'm sure that our first XP can be a little bit down the road... ;)

Yes, I assumed that we would stop at Daunton on the way. Though it should be a brief stop so that word of our return doesn't have time to get to Redblade and alert him of his danger. We definitely need to pick up our two new mates and drop off Brudd. I would also say that it has been about a week of in-game time since the MMC left the Hanged Man. Maybe as little as a few days even. I think there was only 2 or 3 extended rests taken if I remember right.

Edit: So yes, if you want to, we can say that after several hours of sailing on the Bloody Wake the ship reaches Daunton once more. Brudd is carefully unloaded and transported to the Temple of Haydes and the crew makes its way to the Hanged Man. Would you like the Captain to join you there or do you wanna do the recruiting yourselves? Could be the first adventure where the DM doesn't need an NPC to recruit! The PC's do it for him! :D Would you like to say the party takes an extended rest on the way to Daunton, while docked in Daunton, or on the way to Redblade's isle??? This would be the rest that you level up during IC-wise.

Last edited:

Atanatotatos

First Post
Ok, so I guess it would be another 4-5 days of travel before we get back to Daunton. What do you say, guys, do we go to have a little fun in the tavern thread?

Remove ads