The Captain's Caper! (Dunamin judging)

garyh

First Post
OOC Edit: Oh, and how many people will be using some of their newly acquired treasure to buy some ranged weapons??? :devil: I should have just made all the magic items you found ranged weapons! :D

I'd like to get a magic dagger or shuriken at some point, probably dagger, for throwing (and I may eventually take Two Weapon Fighting and related feats). But I'd rather get something with a property and not just a simple +1 magic weapon. So I think [I'll wait a bit.

Erekose13

Explorer
I gave a look at your character, Erekose. If you want a piece of advice, while starting with 20 Cha, 18 Con makes him an awesome bard at low levels, you might have a hard time qualifying for feats or multiclass you might want later. Just a thought.

Ata, thanks for the advice. I am consciously choosing not to go with a multiclassed bard as I'd like to focus in on the powers offered by the Valorous Bard build. But you have a good point on feat pre-reqs I'll have a look through the next several levels to see where I'm headed. You know that is one of the drawbacks of CB because it doesnt show you feats that you don't qualify for.

stonegod

Spawn of Khyber/LEB Judge
Ata, thanks for the advice. I am consciously choosing not to go with a multiclassed bard as I'd like to focus in on the powers offered by the Valorous Bard build. But you have a good point on feat pre-reqs I'll have a look through the next several levels to see where I'm headed. You know that is one of the drawbacks of CB because it doesnt show you feats that you don't qualify for.
Yeah, the Compendium is the way to go for feats. Just type "bard" and you can see all the bard specific feats. Its a bit more painful for non-bard feats, though.

garyh

First Post
I posted this in the discussion thread, too, but Hrav's all Level 4'ed up!

L4W:pC:Hravoth Kortaga (garyh - ENWiki)

[sblock=Hrav's Info]Hrav Kortaga- Male Bugbear Rogue (Fighter) 4
Initiative: +6, Passive Perception: 19, Passive Insight: 18, Low-Light Vision
AC: 19, Fort: 16, Reflex: 18, Will: 13 - Speed: 6
HP: 41/41, Bloodied: 20, Surge Value: 10, Surges left: 8/8
Action Points: 1
Resists: 5 Necrotic, 5 Poison

Powers:
Deft Strike
Piercing Strike

Nasty Backswing
Predatory Eye
Second Wind
Student of the Sword +1 and Mark
Torturous Strike
Tumble

Handspring Assault
Acidic Rapier Ranged Attack (Encounter)
Acidic Rapier Ongoing Damage (Daily)
Deathcut Leather Armor (Daily)
Potion of Healing x1

Full character sheet[/sblock]

As far as focusing on the valorous bard stuff, Erekose, you can just take a bunch of the intro feats that gives you a skill and some benefits, and not take the power swap feats. Just a thought. I made a dragonborn valorous bard for another game, and had an 18 in Cha, a 16 in Con, and made sure to have 13's in St and Int so I'd be able to take those multi-class feats. Seemed to work well.

covaithe

Explorer
I haven't actually looked, but I don't think I'll have enough DM credits to push Quagmire to 4 until Closed Eye finishes. By the charter, I could petition to get them early, but... To be honest, if we're taking on a pair of level 1 characters, I'd just as soon not get too far ahead of them. Maybe I'll jump to 4 when they get to 2.

garyh

First Post
I just couldn't resist the extra feat and the +1 to everything from the half-level bonus. Plus, there's the fun of being the first! ;)

I also would rather let my second character, when I get around to putting one together, start from level 1. For some reason, having a character walk into the tavern at level 2 having done nothing appeals to me less than bumping up an existing character.

covaithe

Explorer
[sblock=Group roles and thoughts on Quagmire's level]So, I was trying to level Quagmire up and make decisions about what powers to pick and feats to retrain and so forth, and I got to thinking that having a bard around will change Quagmire's role a bit. Specifically, he'll be a bit less focused on healing, since there's someone else around to do that.

So here's what a fully healing-focused Quagmire would look like. Changes: pay 25g for a transfer enchantment to make the magic rapier a magic longsword, retrain rapier proficiency for improved inspiring word, retrain MC rogue (sneak attack 1/enc) for MC bard (majestic word 1/day) (Can do both because bards weren't approved at the time Quagmire was level 1), retrain Viper's Strike in favor of Commander's strike, and pick up Inspiring War Cry at level 3 (encounter, 2W+str damage and grant a saving throw).

[sblock=Healing Quagmire]
Quagmire Weaselcrust, level 3
Hobgoblin, Warlord
Commanding Presence: Inspiring Presence

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 16, Con 14, Dex 14, Int 12, Wis 10, Cha 16.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 16, Con 12, Dex 14, Int 12, Wis 10, Cha 14.

AC: 19 Fort: 15 Reflex: 14 Will: 15
HP: 36 Surges: 9 Surge Value: 9

TRAINED SKILLS
Endurance +7, Intimidate +9, Athletics +10, Diplomacy +9, Streetwise +9

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +2, Arcana +2, Bluff +4, Dungeoneering +1, Heal +1, History +4, Insight +1, Nature +1, Perception +1, Religion +2, Stealth +2, Thievery +2

FEATS
Level 1: Bardic Dilettante
Level 2: Improved Inspiring Word

POWERS
Warlord at-will 1: Commander's Strike
Warlord at-will 1: Wolf Pack Tactics
Warlord daily 1: Bastion of Defense
Warlord encounter 1: Hammer and Anvil
Warlord encounter 3: Inspiring War Cry
Warlord utility 2: Knight's Move

ITEMS
Chainmail of Sacrifice +1, Vanguard Longsword +1, Light Shield
[/sblock]

Certainly viable. But having another healer around opens opportunities for Quagmire to focus on other things, such as possibly keeping his rogue MC and rapier, for an extra 2d6 damage per encounter. Or, I could blow the doors off of it and overhaul him as, say, a bravura warlord built to charge a lot. (I probably wouldn't do this; a charging build is mostly wasted on a warlord. About all they get is Flattening Charge. A barbarian, now... When are we talking about 3rd characters, again?)

My point is, there's an opportunity here for Q to focus on one of his other roles, like tactical movement, rather than going all-out for healing. But I'm not sure there's a lot of improvement to be made there. Quagmire doesn't make a very good tactical warlord; Hobgoblins just aren't suited to it. Without going full tactlord, I'm not sure what else I can really do to beef up the tactical buffing side of his game.

I'm open to suggestions. I'll probably go with the healing build unless someone has a better idea soon.

[/sblock]

garyh

First Post
I think the healing build is fine, Cov. You really can't have too much healing. And yeah, you're a Cha warlord, so there's no way to really effectively get all Tactical. You could maybe take MC Warden, Fighter, or Paladin to add some once per fight marking for a dash of defender. Hrav and Quag each taking a little heat off of Alex as needed could help.

Remove ads