• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Center of Time OOC Discussion

Shayuri

First Post
Echo's a nano, actually. :)

I think it's possible we're missing some context. According to the ab-human that communicates, this 'cycle' is responsible for the creation of the Shear. That, in order to get from here to there, this machine created abhumans in sufficient quantity to carve a channel through a solid mountain, miles and miles and miles long.

I do not believe such a thing will let itself just be turned off. I can't imagine good things will happen if we try.

We're surfing on a wave that started centuries before us, and has worn its way through barriers we can barely concieve of. This is why Echo was all spacing out there for a second. As Keyholder, we have some ability to guide this force, but we don't control it. We could have walked away, perhaps, but I don't think we can stop it.

Moreover, we don't even know that we should. What would the consequences be? Whatever this cycle does, it must be incredibly important to something, or someone, to justify this incredible expenditure of resources on a periodic basis.

Before we know if we should intervene, or have any idea how to intervene effectively, we need to learn more. I think the best way to do that is to ride this wave...and hope it doesn't smash us against a reef.

(^_^)

doghead

thotd
I think it's possible we're missing some context.

Umm, lots and lots of context maybe? Wisco is working on this.

Moreover, we don't even know that we should. What would the consequences be? Whatever this cycle does, it must be incredibly important to something, or someone, to justify this incredible expenditure of resources on a periodic basis.

This is essentially where Wisco differs from Echo. We don't know what the consequences will be of leaving it running. The fact that it was important enough to someone to make the investment does not mean that the outcomes will be good.

May your solution result be interesting and non-lethal! :)

So Wisco is hoping.

Hah! Honestly, I'm usually a GM, so my solution-creation is way rusty (ie: I can make up problems, but don't ask me to fix them. Please don't ask!)

Sure :)

thotd

Shayuri

First Post
At the scale we're talking about, I don't know if 'good' or 'bad' even apply anymore.

Even if it's possible to step it (which I honestly doubt), we have to examine the real possibility that stopping it could be immeasurably worse than letting it go. Consider that the cycle has clearly played out before, but the world still exists and time still works, and people and life are still in abundance. Can we be sure the same will be true if the cycle is stopped? The level of intervention it seems to require suggests to me that whatever motivates these events may exist on that scale. We're like mice playing in a nuclear missle silo at this point...wondering if we should jump on the flashing red button, or the flashing green button.

My bias towards not interrupting the cycle is predicated pretty much entirely on the idea that the cycle, at the very least, doesn't seem to cause devastation beyond the ecosphere's capacity to recover from. :) For all we know, the purpose of the cycle may well be to prevent such a cataclysm.

That said, if Wisco can learn more from the facilities here (and now that Echo appears to be offered a chance to do so, her as well), then I'm all for that. Knowing more in this case could be the difference between life and death for a whole lotta people.

Isida Kep'Tukari

Adventurer
Supporter
Hey the rest of y'all - I'll respond once I get an answer from Shayuri. I had question I need answered before we find out what potentially perilous/hilarious fate Duncan will suffer. :) If anyone else is doing other stuff in the interim, please let me know!

doghead

thotd
I've been meaning to ask. Whatever happened to Zaccheus Varrillion, our Graceful Jack who Controls Gravity? Did he not make it as far as the IC thread?

thotd

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads