D&D 5E The Charismatic Fighting "Hero" - Which Core Class does it Best?

Which Class does the "Warrior Hero" Archetype best?

• Battlemaster Fighter

Votes: 11 11.8%
  • Paladin

Votes: 51 54.8%
  • Valor Bard

Votes: 19 20.4%
  • Other - Note in the Thread

Votes: 12 12.9%

Since D&D is a combat game first and second (and third) just having a great Charisma score gets you a very long way in out-of-combat challenges.

Expertise gets you further. The most you can expect (excluding magic items) from a high charisma is +5. Expertise gives you +4 up to +12. Purple Dragon Knights get expertise in Persuasion. Swashbucklers are quite likely to have it. Bards can get it. Paladins and Battlemasters? Sorry chumps (outside of human racial feat from Xanthar's).

CapnZapp

Legend
Expertise gets you further. The most you can expect (excluding magic items) from a high charisma is +5. Expertise gives you +4 up to +12. Purple Dragon Knights get expertise in Persuasion. Swashbucklers are quite likely to have it. Bards can get it. Paladins and Battlemasters? Sorry chumps (outside of human racial feat from Xanthar's).
This is an example of the thinking "if you aren't maxxed out, you have no business even trying".

If you do not subscribe to this school of thinking (and outside of combat, I don't) your examples doesn't say much.

Again, it boils down to what question you're really asking.

My point is, out of combat, having a 16 or 18 in an ability score goes a long way and certainly is enough to let you role-play your way to the rest.

This is an example of the thinking "if you aren't maxxed out, you have no business even trying".

If you do not subscribe to this school of thinking (and outside of combat, I don't) your examples doesn't say much.

Again, it boils down to what question you're really asking.

My point is, out of combat, having a 16 or 18 in an ability score goes a long way and certainly is enough to let you role-play your way to the rest.

On the contrary, a "maxed out" mentality would insist you need expertise and charisma.

Consider the Swashbuckler. They need Persuasion for their "taunt" ability. You could (taking extreme examples) have a charisma of 20 an single proficiency. That gives +11 at level 17+. Or you could have charisma of 8 and expertise in Persuasion. That also gives +11 at level 17+. Both are more than enough to use the special ability reliably, but the second has a much lower opportunity cost (assuming ability scores are not rolled).

CapnZapp

Legend
On the contrary, a "maxed out" mentality would insist you need expertise and charisma.

Consider the Swashbuckler. They need Persuasion for their "taunt" ability. You could (taking extreme examples) have a charisma of 20 an single proficiency. That gives +11 at level 17+. Or you could have charisma of 8 and expertise in Persuasion. That also gives +11 at level 17+. Both are more than enough to use the special ability reliably, but the second has a much lower opportunity cost (assuming ability scores are not rolled).
I read your post as dismissive of the "regular" fighter, since it doesn't have special tricks available to other classes or new splatbook expansion subclasses.

If that wasn't your intent, I stand corrected.

Quartz

Hero
Are we looking at a character build using straight 18s or a standard build array while expecting the PC to be effective?

With 10 in a stat you autopass DC 5 checks. That should allow you to do well enough in social situations.

I do like this rule because it makes investing in stats worthwhile and it stays relevant until quite high level.
You need a proficiency bonus of +5 to mitigate an 8 to finally autopass DC5 checks.

If you have a 15 in a stat, You autopass DC 10 checks which is great. It is a bit harder to justify as a batzlemaster fighter but the rally maneuver likes good charisma as does the leader feat which you can afford.

That said, I voted battlemaster fighter as the warrior hero type. I see the paladin rather as the liberator or holy warrior and the valor bard as the jack of all trades. The sidekick to the warrior hero who gets things done and pushes the hero onward.

Stalker0

Legend
These two things mean that while a topic like "which class brings the most mechanical impact for using Charisma in combat" where the Fighter doesn't come close to the top, for the purposes of enabling "the charismatic Hero" the fighter is entirely adequate.

Your not wrong, it’s perfectly fine if a player just has a good charisma and social skills.

But for this poll I was looking at what mechanical advantages certain classes bring to that archetype.

Remove ads