• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Clown

yu gnomi

Explorer
Chronoplasm-

As I stated previously, I really want to get either Jester or Clown built. Either one is acceptable to me. Since you and I are the only helpful contributers to this thread, we should work together to hammer out a common class concept.

As it stands now, my 4ed clown concept is warlock-ish, except not really as much of a threat to his enemies. A great distractor, and great at avoiding harm to himself, but who needs allies to kill things.

You described your concept as martial controller-ish, and the attack powers you have listed seem to focus on annoying (e.g. tripping) and manipulating enemies, and lowering their stats. (I apologize in advance if I am misrepresenting your concept, it's not intentional).

While these two positions aren't very similar, I think it's OK if we try making some bastardized hybrid of our two concepts, and then see if it's worth polishing up. I would suggest we start with primary attributes and class features. These are small chunks of entire class that we can hammer out first.

For attributes, I think Dex and Cha should be most important, and I also think that Wis should not give any benefit whatsoever to Clowns.

For class features, I like "Butt of All Jokes" = single target, like Warlock's Curse or Hunter's Quarry, get's (-3) distraction penalty to all d20 rolls. I also like the juggling class feature I mentioned earlier, but I understand that not everyone would agree that it is either workable or that it is all that useful. I'd be perfectly happy to scrap juggling.

Also thought of another one "Word of Funny", which usable x times daily (like Inspiring Word) which causes a creature to become helpless (with laughter) until end of Clown's next turn.

I am open to suggestions and/or compromises on these ideas.

chronoplasm

First Post
Sounds good to me.

I certainly agree with Dex and Cha. Maybe Con as well?

I think we just have to look at juggling less in terms of literal juggling and more in terms of "juggling" or dividing one's attention between multiple tasks. That is, a Clown ought to be able to juggle enemies in the sense of dividing it's attention across multiple enemies at one time and juggle weapons in the sense of switching them out really quickly.
That is, I think that the Clown ought to be able to perform more actions per turn.

Furthermore, I think it might be a good idea for the Clown to have some powers that gain additional damage or effects depending on how many enemies the Clown has previously dealt damage to that turn. This will encourage players to use the Clown's extra actions for attacking multiple enemies and for stringing attacks together into ridiculous combos.

What do you think?

yu gnomi

Explorer
How about Clown can mark foes that he attacks like Fighter. It wouldn't have to work exactly like Combat Challenge, it could be called Clown Challenge instead (or Silly Challenge, etc)

Clown also has class feature- Chutzpah- a Clown gains a bonus on attack rolls versus a foe marked by him, equal to number of foes currently marked by the Clown.

I don't want the Clown to be too much like fighter class. I don't think he should be a Defender. I want a Class Feature and/or powers that let him sneak away or hide when his plans go horribly wrong.

Last edited:

chronoplasm

First Post
I think marking though would make the Clown too much like a defender.

Maybe the Clown could get a feat that lets you move a couple of spaces whenever one of your attacks misses? It has interesting synergy with attacks that target multiple enemies.

chronoplasm

First Post
So one idea I've been toying with is to let the Clown use common dungeon features to make attacks. I'm thinking of expanding this. It might be interesting for a Paragon path or something.
Doors
Walls
Ceilings
Pits
Treasure Chests

Pack Luggage
Range: 4
If there is a treasure chest within range, you may attempt to grab all enemies within the target area. Each enemy grabbed in this way is stuffed inside the chest, trapped there until your next turn. If the chest has a trap, that trap damages all enemies inside the chest.

Super Jester Rocket Punch!
Range: 4
Some kind of over-the-top spinning-jumping uppercut punch thing damages all enemies within the target area. Enemies dealt damage in this way are knocked prone and sent flying upward into the air until the end of turn. If there is a ceiling, the enemies are dealt additional damage.

Knock-Knock
This attack damages all enemies that are adjacent to a door.

yu gnomi

Explorer
Question about powers in last post: Range 4 means target area is everything within 4 squares of Clown? If so that seems incredibly powerful. I am not sure what precisely you meant by term "target area."

And we still need to hammer out class features. I am thinking some sort of Prop Improvisation feature might cover using stairs, doors, banana peels, etc. against foes- would mainly slide them and knock them prone. It could be used as an Encounter power. I am drawing a blank on more specifics at the moment.

chronoplasm

First Post
I think the Clown should get some kind of bonus for using improvised weapons. I don't think extra damage is the way to go since the Clown is supposed to be a controller.
How about this:

Juggler
When you attack with an improvised weapon, you may choose two targets instead of one.

Also...
Clown Song
Once per encounter, you may cause all enemies within ear shot to get -1 to their attack rolls until the end of your next turn.

What do you think?

Remove ads