• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The CORE of the Matter

Do you use CORE classes more than Non Core?

• Poll closed .

Kanegrundar

Explorer
I tend to see more core classes than non-core, but I make a lot of classes available from several different sources. Every now and then I'll see a samurai, sohei, or psychic warrior, but most selections are still the classic Fighter, Cleric, Rogue, and Wizard.

Kane

Psion

Adventurer
I have a small selection of additional core classes, some which I really think are the bee's knees.

But use more than the core? Nah. The game is designed around the core classes, and they generally get the most support.

And support is half the reason I play D&D instead of moving on to something else in the first place.

lukelightning

First Post
The more PrC's I see, the less I like 'em. It's an idea that has gone waaaay to far. "Oooh, I want to be a Radiant Arcane Ghost Stalker of the Misty Holy Chalice Circle of Knighthood!"

Henry

Autoexreginated
As the DM, my players rarely use non-core classes unless on a case-by-case basis.

As a player, I rarely use anything but the core classes, not even PrC's.

MoogleEmpMog

First Post
I rarely use D&D core classes, aside from a few levels as a "dip;" I haven't played a single-classed core class character since before 3.5 came out.

And I've managed to convert my players to the same way of doing things. :]

I'm currently running a one-shot with a half-giant cleric, a dwarf fighter, a catfolk spellthief and a human warmage.

My previous campaign started with two monks, a scout/paladin, a soulknife, a (Rokugan) ninja, a rogue and a druid and has had warlocks, samurai, hexblades, psions, akashics - but never a cleric or wizard.

The_Universe

First Post
Well, despite not loving the bard at all, I chose the first option. Generally, I prefer the archetypes in the PHB to some of the more esoteric examples introduced in (for example) the Complete X series. Some of those classes are just fine and dandy, but by no means would I expect any of them to outnumber the "regular" classes in the game.

HellHound

ENnies winner and NOT Scrappy Doo
*I* consider the psionic classes to be core, but that's because I've always had psionics in my campaigns and can't imagine stripping them out.

So, with psionics considered non-core, yeah, we have a fair amount of non-core classes in my games.

HellHound said:
*I* consider the psionic classes to be core, but that's because I've always had psionics in my campaigns and can't imagine stripping them out.
You've got a point; they're the only "alternate" classes that are in the SRD.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads