• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E The cost of D&D 5E (it ain't so bad!)

DM Howard

Explorer
I was hoping for around $40 a book, but I can understand getting it all for $150. However, I probably won't be able to get them for quite some time as I'm still unemployed (after 3 months) and just found out my wife is getting laid off from her corporate job. I'm saying this, not as a "look at me, feel sorry for me" kind of deal, but rather a demonstration that even in my awful situation I find the prices to be reasonable. Higher than I want, of course, but reasonable.

$50.00 a pop for the core books isn't a big deal, IF they are worth buying at all. At that price I will certainly wait for reviews and comments both on the physical quality of the products as well as the content.

$30.00 for a module though? Never...gonna...happen.

ShinHakkaider

Adventurer
I'll just say two things:

1) 4E was very expensive for me. I, despite my misgivings about the system, figured the only way that I'd know if this is going to be my replacement or side game is to buy the books myself and run he game. So to faciliate that I purchased the D&D 4E gift set from Amazon for $57.72. I think the actual cost was somewhere close to $75. The thing is that only ran maybe 3-4 games before I realized that I really didnt care for the system. So it's been up on my shelf not being used since 2008. If i'd been playing/running a game using it at least once every two weeks from then until now? It would have been well worth the cost. But as it turned out it was a really expensive thing that I never got any real use from.

2) If youre into D&D? Youre into D&D. And you'll probably find a way to get the books. Legally I mean. I'm not a D&D guy anymore. But if I still were? I would have taken one look at the $50 price tag, blinked once or twice and been like "okay. Well at least theyre staggering the release. Also? AMAZON." It wouldnt be my inclination to complain about the price or get upset about it. If I want it and I CAN afford it? It's pretty much a purchase. Otherwise I'll play something else that I dont feel as strongly about. People always say that D&D is the best and insinuate that becasue of the brand recognition. Well, THIS is the price you as D&D fans pay for brand recognition. They know that most of you here ARE going to find a way to get and pay for the books becasue youre hot for all things D&D.

Kinak

First Post
Kinak, unless I misread you and you're saying you watch NetFlix at your friends house, you're not "borrowing" your friends NetFlix account, any more than torrenting these books directly from your friend who buys the PDF is "borrowing" the books from them. I think anyone is going to admit that illegally obtaining them, like it seems you're doing with NetFlix, is cheaper.
I think you drastically misunderstand NetFlix, to be honest. It's set up so each person using the account can have their own profile and the cost of the streaming service is based on the number of different streams you can have going at the same time.

There may have been an argument years ago about the morality of it, but they've literally monetized the sharing of accounts.

As it happens, we watch from our profile on his PS3, so it doesn't matter anyway. But nobody's getting cheated when you explicitly pay for two simultaneous streams and then use two streams simultaneously.

Cheers!
Kinak

Zaukrie

New Publisher
Price seems like a barrier to entry to me. Also, people are not rational about purchases.....they look at the price, not the hours per dollar.

howandwhy99

Adventurer
I *believe* AD&D was $10 for each of the hardcover books, perhaps $15 for the DMG.
2e AD&D was $20 per book
3.0 starters were $20 each
3.5 made the jump to $30
4e D&D manuals were $35 apiece (I think all three)
5e are $50 each

Of course we used to get everything for just $10 and a wood box too, but I guess inflation is at work here.

WizarDru

Adventurer
I think $150 is more expensive than what I was expecting. But I don't think it is tremendously unreasonable and I already KNOW I will spend that money. It should be noted, of course, that my entertainment budget is fairly large. I am a forty-something married father of two teenagers. I am lucky enough to make a decent-enough salary that my wife was able to stop working to raise our kids and we are able to indulge our various hobbies (of which gaming is one). Most of my players are my age and similarly comfortable. Obviously, this is not the case for everyone.

But the reason that the value proposition used to evaluate D&D are leisure time activities like movie-going, dining out and other such activities is that they are in the same immediate cost level but often have a radically different value proposition. This past weekend my wife, son and I went to see Godzilla 3D at the local IMAX theater. These tickets cost ~$60. We normally would not spend that much on movies, but felt this was a special occasion and it was worth the price. The movie is about two hours long: so per person that was about $10/hour of entertainment. In terms of value efficiency, not so great. A few weeks ago, my wife took me out to see Eddie Izzard in concert in the city. She took a train in (so we didn't pay parking fees) for about $8. We went out to dinner for $40, picked up our tickets (~$70, iirc) and then went out for desert after ($20). It was a great date night, a rare one time thing. It also worked out to about $20+/hour per person in entertainment value. And we thought it money well spent.

Obviously, there are far better value propositions. Staying at home and watching Netflix? Let's see that's $8/month, so a four-hour night in is pennies on the dollar. Of course, that's because we've already sunk costs in the TV, the cable, the Internet, the living room furniture and all the rest. When I play Assassin's Creed IV, technically I'm getting something like 40-60 hours of enjoyment for $60. But that's again based on the fact that I already have an Xbox 360, TV and so on. In light of the amount of money I've spent on D&D versus the hours I've played it, D&D comes out as a fantastic value: 3E cost me $80 for the core books ($20, $30, $30 in 2000) and resulted in hundreds of hours of gameplay, enjoyable online time (in places like this) and social add-ons, including making friends.

So the reason that D&D is brought up in those terms, is because often its meant to highlight the fact that people don't always make that connection. People who wouldn't think twice about paying $5 for a latte, $10 for a pack of cigarettes or $20 for a case of beer balk at spending $50 for a D&D book. That's not an invalid decision, but some people are blind to the money they spend and where they spend it. There is no right answer there, since there's more to the value of entertainment than fun/hr, nor is it a mutually exclusive equation. But it's a valid argument that people undervalue D&D's returns on fun versus the cost of the books, IMHO, and one that should be pointed out.

As for why people don't bring up other RPGs? Well, speaking for me: because they're not the 800 lb. gorilla in the space. They don't have the market presence or the fanbases that D&D has. The benefit of Dread being contained in one book is nice, but it's not the same thing as going to a convention and finding thirty D&D games going on and one Dread game. It's likely the only way you'll play Dread at your FLGS is if you run it, but D&D I have a pretty darned good chance of playing nationally. Those games are great, but Spirit of the Century can't AFFORD to split into multiple books. That's why The Burning Wheel comes with two books that you need to buy at one time. They wouldn't be able to make enough money to justify the printing costs otherwise.

Derren

Hero
And when that happens, it makes perfect sense to ask oneself how much enjoyment they will get out of their purchase. Only a couple hours? Probably not worth it - most movies last that long and don't run you $150. But hundreds of hours? That's one hell of a value proposition, especially for an enthusiast hobby.

So buy a soccer ball (or football if you live in the states) then. Same amount of potential fun and even less expensive. If bar or cinema visits are a valid comparisons to the D&D core books, this one is too.

GSHamster

Adventurer
Posted this in the other thread, because I didn't see this one.

One thing about the price. WotC may be giving out a higher-than-normal MSRP in order to give the stores more room for discounting. We don't know what the actual wholesale value is.

Note that no one is actually selling the books for $50. The "real" or street price is $40 so far. Maybe a local store will have room to sell the books at $45, and they can advertise it as a 10% discount. It could be that there is some psychological difference between getting a discount (MSRP $50) vs not getting a discount (MSRP $45) that could boost the local stores.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
I think you drastically misunderstand NetFlix, to be honest. It's set up so each person using the account can have their own profile and the cost of the streaming service is based on the number of different streams you can have going at the same time.

There may have been an argument years ago about the morality of it, but they've literally monetized the sharing of accounts.

Let's just say I disagree with your assessment of the legality of lending out your account to someone and leave it at that. YOU can have multiple devices, but the agreement is with the person who has the account, and all the devices must be theirs under the agreement. Under the agreement you execute with NetFlix, you cannot give out your password to someone else and let them use it at their house - it's a personal account, and the NetFlix terms of service explicitly say do not give your password out to others, and it's a personal agreement.

As it happens, we watch from our profile on his PS3, so it doesn't matter anyway. But nobody's getting cheated when you explicitly pay for two simultaneous streams and then use two streams simultaneously.

Cheers!
Kinak

Yes, they are, as it's a breach of the contract.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads