D&D 5E The crab that got away...

BookTenTiger

He / Him
Last night I threw a few "swarms of crustaceans" (insect swarms) and a huge Chuul at the group as they sailed across a foggy, driftwood-strewn lake.

I expected the huge Chuul, known locally as the Driftwood Giant, to be the most interesting part of the combat.

Instead, a single crab stole the show.

After the Giant Chuul ran off (it will return to hound them as they search for treasure on a lake island), the crab swarms jumped overboard. Our Goliath Barbarian got an opportunity attack on one swarm and, due to his Sentinel feat, prevented it from leaving.

All four party members surrounded the swarm. It was quickly reduced to 1 hit point, and I think I'm in the norm in that I describe a 1 hp swarm as one remaining critter.

The characters could not kill this crab!

It rolled incredibly well on Wisdom saving throws (with a 7 Wisdom!). 1s were rolled on attacks. It dodged, it ducked, it scuttled sideways.

Finally the crab took the Disengage action so it could join its crustaceans brethren overboard. Ah, but the Goliath Barbarian reminded me: Sentinel! He got another opportunity attack. He swung his greataxe down and... Missed!

The crab leapt into the water and waved with a claw as it sunk down into the depths...

It just shows, you never know what part of an encounter or an adventure is going to create a great story.

Warpiglet-7

Cry havoc! And let slip the pigs of war!
Last night I threw a few "swarms of crustaceans" (insect swarms) and a huge Chuul at the group as they sailed across a foggy, driftwood-strewn lake.

I expected the huge Chuul, known locally as the Driftwood Giant, to be the most interesting part of the combat.

Instead, a single crab stole the show.

After the Giant Chuul ran off (it will return to hound them as they search for treasure on a lake island), the crab swarms jumped overboard. Our Goliath Barbarian got an opportunity attack on one swarm and, due to his Sentinel feat, prevented it from leaving.

All four party members surrounded the swarm. It was quickly reduced to 1 hit point, and I think I'm in the norm in that I describe a 1 hp swarm as one remaining critter.

It rolled incredibly well on Wisdom saving throws (with a 7 Wisdom!). 1s were rolled on attacks. It dodged, it ducked, it scuttled sideways.

Finally the crab took the Disengage action so it could join its crustaceans brethren overboard. Ah, but the Goliath Barbarian reminded me: Sentinel! He got another opportunity attack. He swung his greataxe down and... Missed!

The crab leapt into the water and waved with a claw as it sunk down into the depths...

It just shows, you never know what part of an encounter or an adventure is going to create a great story.

thats just funny

R_J_K75

Legend
That's why I'm a firm believer that there is such a thing as over thinking things when creating an encounter. You never know what's going to happen, how the dice will roll or what your players will do. When you over-prep as a DM you tend to lose sight of the spontaneity of the battle as you expect, or worse, you want it to go a certain way. Sometimes unplanned, random encounters are even better. Its hilarious that the party was stymied by one little crab. Reminds me of a Spelljammer encounter where a party that landed on a moon to replenish their air envelope was murdered by a few giant space ants because they landed too close to their hive.

Warpiglet-7

Cry havoc! And let slip the pigs of war!
That's why I'm a firm believer that there is such a thing as over thinking things when creating an encounter. You never know what's going to happen, how the dice will roll or what your players will do. When you over-prep as a DM you tend to lose sight of the spontaneity of the battle as you expect, or worse, you want it to go a certain way. Sometimes unplanned, random encounters are even better. Its hilarious that the party was stymied by one little crab. Reminds me of a Spelljammer encounter where a party that landed on a moon to replenish their air envelope was murdered by a few giant space ants because they landed too close to their hive.
So right. I am starting to remember how many beer fueled late night AD&D sessions were emergent play and just how fun it was! Murder hobos at times sure. But the game creates moments we cannot create with planning!

what a great game D&D is...

R_J_K75

Legend
So right. I am starting to remember how many beer fueled late night AD&D sessions were emergent play and just how fun it was!

Definitely. When we were younger nothing was better than drinking a bunch of beer and getting a few friends together for a pickup D&D game. These games would last for hours, 8-12 at times. I read and knew the system so well back then that we just improvised games. My one friend at the time said to me, "If you put this much time into school you'd be a rocket scientist".

aco175

Legend
That's the old ninja rule at work - get a swarm of 'em, they drop like flies. But if you encounter just one...
Well, only a ninja can kill a ninja.
1598974804283.png

GMMichael

Guide of Modos

. . .

Please tell me there was an NPC staring at the party when they finished, who 1) witnessed their failure to kill a single crab and 2) had a dead crab in hand, and said, "jeez. Take mine, already!"

Also, the invici-crab should be on the giant chuul's shoulder/back, when next they meet.

what a great game D&D is...
I'd file this under "Only in D&D!"

Remove ads