The Creation Schema:THE FINAL BATTLE FOR POSSESSION OF THE SCHEMA

EBERRON
12/04/04
SEGMENT 022
SHADOWS OF THE LAST WAR
Cedious hears a twig break …or was it a branch? He is thoroughly confused now. He barely holds his balance as he trips over a body but continues on. He is calling out to the others but no one answers him.

Bane is frustrated. Where is everyone?

Thud.

He has walked into something. Feeling around he feels wood boards. Has he walked into a building or wall? No. He then finds a wheel. It’s a wagon. Feeling around, he discovers it is a cadaver wagon. Ugh!
He continues on.

Growing impatient and a bit fearful, the three outside the mist settle down for the night. They start a fire to allow Bane and Cedious a possibility to find them even in the dark as the sun is beginning to settle now.

Cedious continues to call out to his allies. He nearly tumbles down a sloped gutter hidden in the mist. He slides down and finds a pool of shallow water (at least he hopes it is water). After sniffing it to push away any fears of blood and gore he feels his way out to the other side and climbs its bank. He can’t believe this. He is lost!

Bane exits the mist. It is dark but not yet night. He spots a campfire in the distance and goes to it. He is happy to find it belongs to his friends.

Two hours later, Cedious exits the gray mists. He is within a forest now (he has several bumps and bruises to prove it) and knows he is not with his friends anymore.

He calls out once and listens. Nothing. With a deep sigh, he marches north. About two hours into his walk, he suspects he went the wrong way but has a new concern to worry about. Something is following him. Something nearby.

He hides and waits. In the tallest grass he spots a spear tip. The tip moves as if held by a nervous wielder. Finally, the creature emerges. A lone kobold!
Even by himself, Cedious easily dispatches the poor thing. No money. Drat.

Now very late in the night he spots a campfire. Boddynoc! Temper! Bonds! Bane! He moves closer and discovers four gnolls. Three are resting and a fourth is on guard duty. Looking at their bags, Cedious suspects they are scavengers of the Mournelands just like him.

His greed gets the best of him and he moves closer to the camp. Being very careful to approach from behind, he attacks and kills the gnoll but not without waking the others. He runs away without being seen. One he can sneak attack. Three would see him coming easily. Oh well.

The sun rises and Boddynoc and his group are saddened. It appears Cedious will not make it. Good thing Boddynoc kept the schemas. They continue along the trail hoping to reach the stables soon along the river.

Cedious finds a secure tree and naps in it as best as he can for a few hours as the sun rises. Rested but lonely, he walks further. Eventually he discovers a hard packed road. He shadows the road remembering the goblinoids and the rumors of eating halflings. He avoids two patrols of armored hobgoblins. Even more curious, he spots five warforged sneaking around much like himself. One of the five looks to be a commander.

Where could they be going thinks Cedious.

Continuing along the grasslands and edges of the forest Cedious makes good time. He comes into an area with many goblinoid troops. It appears they are meeting here and preparing for something. War perhaps. He decides to leave sooner than later.

On the positive side, he begins to hear more rumors and talk of the human invaders in Rhukaan Draal. He also learns of the name of the ogre that killed Khora. His name was Gork Broadshoulders. He is the youngest of well to-do ogres in the city.

He hopes to find his friends there …somehow.

EPILOGUE: (done while shivering outside in the snow smoking, chewing and in my case just shivering)

The others meanwhile have found a means to go south by boat. They needed to wait a day or two but this doesn’t bother them much. The trade barge takes them south. Without being asked to, Boddynoc does many repairs on the barge using his artificer abilities. The man is so happy that he warns the group of the civil unrest there within the city. He plans to skip the city this time but will drop them off on shore a few miles away.

He also informs them of a non-goblinoid that is staying on a house barge. Someone whom has money and clout.

Boddynoc hopes it is Lady Elaydren.

Micah

First Post
megamania said:
Color Coding? If you mean the "keys" yes. I first used this idea about three years ago using psionic rods in Darksun. Here, it was Keith baker's idea as this adventure is the published adventure- "Shadows of the Last War".

Wups - should have clarified. I liked that you didn't make the mineshafts all identical like the module suggested. The orange enamel was a nice way to warn your group.

Thanks for all the ideas here!

dravot said:
How did your group cope with the lack of healing in the Mournlands?

I decided that healing magic could not be "created" within the boundries of the Mournlands. Potions work. Even with that, they depleted most of their supply.

As for the lack of a cleric, they are working on that now due to recent events yet to be posted.

I do believe my group will forever hate the goblinoid nation of Darguun. ;)

Micah said:
Wups - should have clarified. I liked that you didn't make the mineshafts all identical like the module suggested. The orange enamel was a nice way to warn your group.

Thanks for all the ideas here!

Thankyou. I adjusted that if only because the group had little means of healing and the idea of multiple shocking grasp traps I felt would lead to fatalities. That came ...just later.

EBERRON
12/18/04
SEGMENT 023
SHADOWS OF THE LAST WAR

Cedious continues his trek across the Darguun territory. He sees many patrols and even one slaver’s wagon which reminds him of the dangers of being caught here in the land of the goblinoids. He continues to follow a somewhat paved road of lose flat stone and packed earth surrounded by high grass and an occational tree. Eventually he reaches a bridge and beyond that he can see a forest. On the bridge is a lone figure holding a large sword.

Continueing to move onward Cedious losses sight of the bridge and the figure then finds the mysterious figure is gone. Strange. Shugging his shoulders, he merely continues onward. After all, how bad can it be.

After traveling about twenty feet in the forest he hears a series of chanting. Taking to caution, he gets off the road and creeps forward. Stopping at a large tree, he listens closely. He doesn’t know the language but senses he wants little to do with this. Still .. how often can you see ..whatever it is.

He takes one quiet step and when he goes for his next something stops him. Something with a clawed hand!

“You do not want to see what is there little one.”

Pulling free and spinning around to confront this new possible threat Cedious faces the claw handed person. Before him is a mysterious creature. Possibly the one at the bridge he had seen before. It is a bugbear wearing dreadlocks. He is dressed in studded leather armour that is professionally crafted. Pieces of Brass metal highlight the armor. The armor covers his jaw but one tooth can be seen peaking from behind the leather. He carries a strangely crafted serrated sword and on his right hand is a wrist razor. Three long, strong and very sharp claws protrude from it. His blue eyes are very striking.

“What occurs beyond these trees is not for you.”

“Really? And just how do you know this?” demands Cedious while trying to gain some sort of upper hand.

“You are a hafling. You do not belong there. I can see that clearly.”

Cedious looks up at this figure trying to figure him out. “Well…I need to continue on to reach the city. The city is on this road…right?”

The figure in orange and red armor merely stares at the halfling. “What business do you have within the city of the goblinoids?”

“I am to ….,” he hestitates to say anything. This figure is a problem. He is quite certain of it. “…meet my adventuring party there.”

“Adventureing party?”

Cedious swallows. “yup.”

“Thieves more like it. I can smell the mists on you. I can smell Cyre on you. Where were you?”

Cedious now fully understands this figure is more than he appears to be. “We …we were sent to the lands to locate something.”

The figure stares at him. Cedious continues. “House Cannith wanted something from there. We were paid to collect it and return it. Return it in the city that is. So…how do we reach the city?”

“Three days away.” Is his only answer.

He moves away quickly making no sound. Cedious gives chase making more noise than he is. Eventually they reach the road again and carefully return to it. Cedious notes that this stranger uses his sense of smell often. Could he really have that good of smell?

Cedious trys to ply information from the stranger for the next twenty minutes but gets no where with him. Then quite suddenly, he stops and motions for the woods. Creeping here, they reach the edge. Another bridge but this time it has guards. Five Bugbears guard it.

“blood.” The stranger says.

Cedious breathes in through his nose. He smells only the damp soil of a forest and pollens of the trees and flowers that reside within the forest. He sees a river nearby and creeps to it. Blood. There is blood within the river! Cedious rushes back but the stranger is missing. He hears a breaking sound of wood and the grunts of pain. Cedious moves to the edge again and sees the stranger on the bridge. Three of the guards can not be seen. The other two are down on the ground.

He runs out to the stranger perflexed. “I could’ve done that myself!”

The closest thing to a smile crosses the stranger’s face now. “You have spirit little one.” And he turns and walks away continueing south.

Several times they hide from patroling armies and forces of bugbears and hobgoblins. Eventually, the evening comes. “I know of some shelter near here.” The stranger says.

“Lead on.” Says Cedious knowing he was going to go there one way or another.

An hour later they break from the road and go through a light forest. Eventually, they reach a cave. “Wait here little one.” Cedious does he is told. He wonders what this guy is about in the meantime.

Twenty minutes later, he comes out. “All is ready little one.”

Going into the cave Cedious looks for clues or possible occupants. The cave is 10x10 rock for the first sixty feet. Then there is sand and pebbles. Signs of recent use is here. Blood can be seen also. A faint light further on catches his attention. He enters a 30x40 foot section. Within this section is fire with chunks of meat cooking. “Do you like bear?”

“Never had it before.” Says Cedious sitting down in fear. If this guy wants to kill him, it would be no problem for him to do it.

Cedious sleeps soundly and awakes in one piece. When he exists the cave however, he is startled. It doesn’t seem like the same cave as before. “Where are we?” asks Cedious.

“About three hours north of the city of goblins.”

“I thought you said we were three DAYS away yesterday.”

“You were mistaken little one. We were three hours away.”

After an hour passes the stranger stops and turns. “I can not enter the city. I would recommend you do not to also. Try the docks for your friend.”

Cedious just stands there and watches him stride off into the tall grass. He then walks off towards what he feels is the river which will lead to the docks and his friend…err…friends.

"Hey?!?"

dravot

First Post
megamania said:
I decided that healing magic could not be "created" within the boundries of the Mournlands. Potions work. Even with that, they depleted most of their supply.

As for the lack of a cleric, they are working on that now due to recent events yet to be posted.

I'm going to keep it pretty close to the rules as written, so healing potions won't work either. I think though, that healing potions created in the Mournlands will work, but at a reduced rate, with a chance for minor side effects. :uhoh:

Reading the WotC boards, two things from core seem to work in the Mournlands: goodberries (which are limited in their affect to 8 hp/day) and rope trick, which makes a pocket dimension where healing would be allowed. My party will have to figure that out on their own though. :]

megamania said:
I do believe my group will forever hate the goblinoid nation of Darguun. ;)

Heh. I can't wait for that.

EBERRON
12/18/04
SEGMENT 024
SHADOWS OF THE LAST WAR

Boddynoc and the adventurers watch as the barge pulls away from shore. They are a ½ day walk away from the city. They only can hope Cedious will meet them there or in Sharn at the Broken Anvil Tavern. The terrain here is tall grasses with short trees that grow alone. It will not be easy to sneak up through the last bit.

About an hour into their walk they spot two armored bugbears skipping rocks into the muddy river. Suddenly they stop and scramble further onto shore. A well armored Hobgoblin barks at them and beats them on the head with his spiked club. It appears their commander feels break is over. All the warforged are thinking is a grand fight. Bane is no better.

Boddynoc hopes they will leave. Waiting for ten minutes, he discovers this won’t happen. About 30 of the armored creatures are doing military drills here. “swell.” Boddynoc says under his breathe. “I hope I can still find my invisibility potion.” He says under his breath as he looks at his three comrades whom are eager for combat.

“As warforged, you could walk into the river submerged and thus go undetected. We could try to swim it and submerge ourselves to get past.” Offers Boddynoc.

“We can take them.” Answers Temper.

“We took on the Claw with no problems.” Adds in Bonds.

Bane only smiles.

[DM NOTE- I like to place in stuff that PCs should KNOW to run from. Unfortunately, they are feeling combative suddenly. Before I could think of a senceible means to move the army, Bonds attacks. Sigh. I hope someone survives.]

There are two groups of 10 armored bugbears and a group of 8 armored bugbears (all I had in metal & plastic) lead by three hobgoblins.

[DM NOTES- Bugbears were straight from the book. Hobgoblins I gave two 3 levels of fighter and one 5 levels. ]

Bonds charges straight out from the bushes into the first hobgoblin knocking him over and into a tumble. The bugbears stop and are stunned. The commander begins to bark out orders and searches the direction of the charge. He orders the others to converge there.

Bonds is surrounded and beaten on.

Boddynoc, having just finished using up his bane spells on all weapons is weary of this encounter. He fires a crossbow with Melf’s acid arrow on it. The commander is hit but barely notices it as he stands on the wall of a ruined old building.

Temper rushes out next. He meets the second group head on and takes on bugbear down.

Bane begins to go around to meet the third group.

Boddynoc can’t believe this. They split up! Worse- the commander is eyeing him now. He suspects the commander knows he is a mage manipulator! Where is that potion!

Bonds goes down as they team up and pummel him. Even enraged, how do you defend yourself against 10 bugbears and a hobgoblin? Recognizing him by the skull on his shoulder pad, the goblinoids continue to cut him up.

Temper realizes his mistake but is surrounded. He drops a few more.

[DM NOTE- Jeff’s quote- “I am almost to my next level. Can I have Great Cleave now?” Andy hahahah- hurm. No. ]

Bane is taken down.

With a commander bearing down on him, Boddynoc consumes his potion of invisibility and slowly creeps away.

Temper goes down and the three fighters are chopped up by the Darguun military.

Slowly, Boddynoc slips into the river and floats away, just as he had wanted to in the beginning.

He continues to float for awhile. After an hour goes by he nears a bridge with a goblin watching. The goblin has more interest with something on shore than the river. Boddynoc has reached the city.

“oh yay.” He mourns.

Micah

First Post
megamania said:
It gets very nasty and deadly in the next segment. What do you think of the mysterious aid that helps Cedious? Any thoughts?

I like it! The encounter was great - a lot of plot hooks lying around for future use should you decide to pick them up. Besides a blue-eyed/dreadlocked bugbear ranger is pretty unique.

It will be interesting to see what the "new party" looks like.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases