• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) The D&D Cartoon Heroes In The 2024 PHB

Art by Dmitry Burmak.

IMG_3570.jpeg

Art by Dmitry Burmak​

Stormonu

Legend
The action figure characters and cartoon characters aren't my first choice for iconics, but realistically, in the wider world, they're probably the best known characters out of (maaaaaybe) DADHAT. So WotC playing the cards they've got is the right way to go.

They would have had to pay licencing fees for the actor's images to put them in/on the books. With it looking like these may be teetering on loss leader first release costs, I don't think they wanted that.

This is Regdar erasure! Hasn't the poor guy suffered enough?
reg3.jpg

Regarding the cartoon characters: I did not watch it growing up, even though I was squarely in the target audience while it was airing, so I have no nostalgia for it. What little I've seen of it looks... kind of bad? I'm sure one of these days I'll sit down and watch it from beginning to end, but I suspect I would find these sorts of reprises more endearing if the show had imprinted on me as a youth. Art looks good, at any rate!
Regdar's dead, dude.

1715723880087.jpeg

J.Quondam

CR 1/8
The 3E art team certainly did their best.

Seriously, though, although I'd want them to have their dungeonpunk fashions turned down -- put on a shirt, Hennet -- I would love to see the 3E iconics show up, even as background characters.
A scholar might measure the intensity of 3e grognarderie, if any, by reimagining Lidda as a 5e style big-head/tiny-hands halfling.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Y'all must have watched the Cartoon more recently than I have, because I was a huge fan back when it came out - but I don't remember a single thing beyond the Dungeon Master is a weird little yoda-dude and Tiamat is at the end of a roller coaster.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
The action figure characters and cartoon characters aren't my first choice for iconics, but realistically, in the wider world, they're probably the best known characters out of (maaaaaybe) DADHAT. So WotC playing the cards they've got is the right way to go.
Obscure 80s cartoons don't have modern cultural awareness. That's a nostalgia call, but it's not a set of new iconics.

Well, I don't know that it's not. Maybe it is.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads