• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E The D&D Next books I'd like to see after the Core

ambroseji

Explorer
I agree. A solid adventure would be excellent. An entire path requires to much commitment from players and DMs, so a single adventure would be better.

I cut my teeth on 3e and it was playing through the Sunless Citadel and running the Forge of Fury that really taught me how the rules were supposed to work, and what the system was capable of.

ambroseji

Explorer
See... while I agree for the most part with "A really good adventure"... in truth, I think we'd be better served with "Several really good adventures from specific campaign settings that includes player options to update characters to 5E rules."
This seems to me to be the best of all worlds.

I like the idea of using mini-campaigns to update settings. It does seem like a good way to combine the content we want. I still would like to see a great setting neutral adventure first though. As someone said previously, it would be a good way for WotC to get their feet under them.

ccooke

Adventurer
Yes.

Nah, definitely an adventure. A really good adventure path would be great, but it's much harder. WotC really need to walk before they try to run on this one.

If we do see a good adventure path, I'll feel a lot more confident about the future of the system.
(Confidence in the future of the system is a very different thing to, say, deciding that I prefer to run 5e than any previous edition)

Nellisir

Hero
...I'd rather see them release a series of Levels 1-10 adventure modules plus mini-campaign settings (a la Ghosts of Dragonspear Castle) for each of their main settings that include the player crunch necessary to adapt characters into that particular setting. So the Forgotten Realms adventure would include race information for genasi and drow and the swordmage sub-class... the Eberron softcover would include the shifters, kalashtar, and changelings plus the Artificer sub-class... Dragonlance has kender... Dark Sun has muls and thri-kreens... etc. etc. Give us a mini-campaign of adventures to take us from Levels 1-10 with all the details of the small area we are in, and fill in the character creation details to cover those options not already detailed in the main game.

I see strong shades of Fate of Istus and Time of Troubles in this approach, which would be problematic from a PR standpoint at the least.

At this point I don't know if any of us really need full campaign setting books covering the entire world of these settings (since we've gotten them several times before), but perhaps just a smaller area in much more detail would serve.

Maybe you've gotten them, but what about the new people just starting the game? You could make an argument for starting small and expanding, but not that they should have bought the FR hardback 13 years ago (Yeah. Long time.)

Lord Vangarel

First Post
A really good adventure.

I agree and combining these with rules for settings is a great idea.

What I do know is I don't want the Complete anything series or similar in the first couple of years.

I still like the idea of edition books. The idea is, look add this book to the core rules and you unlock all the adventures for 1e, 2e, or whichever edition it's for without too much additional tinkering. Also you could run your characters from your preferred edition alongside Next characters with the conversion book. If they do it like they originally discussed when Next was first announced not only do you unlock all the previous content, someone playing that edition could buy just that book without 5e's core rules and convert adventures released for the new edition to their preferred edition thus offering support to all editions of Dungeons & Dragons. Probably a pipe dream though!

timbannock

Hero
Supporter
[/COLOR]Maybe you've gotten them, but what about the new people just starting the game? You could make an argument for starting small and expanding, but not that they should have bought the FR hardback 13 years ago (Yeah. Long time.)[/QUOTE]

With the PDFs cheap to buy, and Wikipedia existing, getting setting material's fairly easy. Better yet, they can take the approach that TSR started with setting material, which was an adventure and 3-10 pages of broadstrokes setting, all contained in a 32 page book. I mean, WOTC should aim for higher page count and content count, but if you look at the sheer breadth of interesting material in a module like Under Illefarn, and just built out the adventure portion a bit more, that's actually a great format.

Personally, I'd like that, but stick it in a box with the necessary minis or doodads and maybe some tiles or maps and handouts to make it a "complete package."

Nellisir

Hero
With the PDFs cheap to buy, and Wikipedia existing, getting setting material's fairly easy.
Maybe for you; what about the 13-year old just starting out?

WotC wants new players. They want those players to have simple, obvious entry points. Niche market pdf stores are not, alas, simple and obvious.

Also, reading the 300+ page FR campaign setting book on my computer screen? No.

I'm fine starting off with a small-scale setting that has a linked adventure; I don't hate the idea. I like the idea. But saying "well, if you want more, you've got to go digging through the used book section because I've already got my copy" isn't realistic. (and then there's the question of "which one"? Woe betide the one who buys the 4E FR setting book hoping for something really complete.)

We know WotC & Greenwood are updating the FR setting. There's going to be a book.

biotech66

Explorer
What I want? Well...
1)Adventures. More then one and done with a world. Reach out to the freelancers! They will do what you want!
2)Setting books. 5e looks awesome for Eberron. Make that happen. Bring back the Forgotten Realms with more the just a setting book. I'd like three a year. Make them Cheap PDFs like Monte Cook and Ill eat them up with a spoon!
3) Rules expantion blocks. 5e is built to be the modular system like Lego. Make one rule book a year and Ill at least buy the PDF.
4) PDFS! (Free with book purchase) Team up with Drive Through RPG and give out a free book copy with a physical book purchase. Why? Support the FLGS and get PDFs. Not making PDFs just means you don't get to make money from them when PDFs happen.

Lets start with that. I'm sure those are all easy things to make happen....

Hutchimus Prime

Adventurer
See... while I agree for the most part with "A really good adventure"... in truth, I think we'd be better served with "Several really good adventures from specific campaign settings that includes player options to update characters to 5E rules."

If the era of the splatbook is gone as Mike has hinted at (where most of all the first new books released are all just player crunch)... and the idea of releasing new full-sized Campaign Setting books that end up re-writing or kind of adapting previous material is unrealistic because of the size and amount of details necessary to make them actually useful...

...I'd rather see them release a series of Levels 1-10 adventure modules plus mini-campaign settings (a la Ghosts of Dragonspear Castle) for each of their main settings that include the player crunch necessary to adapt characters into that particular setting. So the Forgotten Realms adventure would include race information for genasi and drow and the swordmage sub-class... the Eberron softcover would include the shifters, kalashtar, and changelings plus the Artificer sub-class... Dragonlance has kender... Dark Sun has muls and thri-kreens... etc. etc. Give us a mini-campaign of adventures to take us from Levels 1-10 with all the details of the small area we are in, and fill in the character creation details to cover those options not already detailed in the main game.

At this point I don't know if any of us really need full campaign setting books covering the entire world of these settings (since we've gotten them several times before), but perhaps just a smaller area in much more detail would serve. And we also don't need books of just crunch, because that tends to expand the rules of the game too far too fast. And while good adventures are absolutely important, those by themselves tend to often be DM-only purchases and thus aren't as financially sound as other options.

But if you could combine all three of them together into a single product? A product that both players and DMs would potentially buy? A product that opens up most of (if not all) of the game's previous settings within the first year of the game's existence? You might have something that gets a huge swathe of the gaming population up and running in their favorite settings using 5E right off the bat. And even if the mini-settings do nothing for some people... you can still easily yank out the adventures and place them in your own individual world like always.

This seems to me to be the best of all worlds.

i LOVE this idea and wonder if it's kind of the format they're following? Tyranny of Dragons will be the reintroduction of the Realms and we'll get new, similar "events" annually for each setting?

MoonSong

Rules-lawyering drama queen but not a munchkin
I dunno what kind of books I would like, setting books? could be, Adventure paths? 100 dungeons for levels 1-20? maybe. However the one thing I don't even want to see is a PHB2, no more splat tredmill plase, if they ever do a PHB2 , then I will send the books back to WotC for a refund, because it means my phb will be uncomplete and useless on its own because they held back content again, muliple MMs I can understand, module expansions good, another UA fine, Deities and demigods again passes, but splat for splat sake no more.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads