D&D 5E The Dangers of Overreliance on Leomund's Tiny Hut (3rd Level Spell)

Lyxen

Great Old One
I rule that it has no floor. It's a dome. In order for a hemisphere to have a bottom, the hemisphere would need to be solid and obviously that's not the case. Then again, I don't allow any attacks to go out of the sphere of any sort because I think that's the intent of the spell: it's a safe haven not an impenetrable fortress for a wizard and as many archers as they can fit.

Yes, spells don't go out, but missiles can as they are objects inside the dome when it is cast, unfortunately.

It's useful, it's not miraculously good for a low level ritual.

Indeed, and as written, it's not too bad I think, except maybe for the missile fire.

Lyxen

Great Old One
How so? It could just as easily be a hollow hemisphere.

It is "hollow", although there are two effects happening in there, one is the atmosphere being comfortable and dry, and the second the lighting. But it does not change the fact that there is only a dome of force, and domes have no floor.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
1) In mathematics, a hemisphere is a 3D shape with one curved side and one flat circular side. The flat side is the floor.
The writers are not known for their precision in the use of language. It’s doubtful they‘d pick a word with a precise meaning in one area but a different one in general use...while intending the more precise meaning. We don’t see similar precision anywhere else, so it’s an unsupported assertion they’re doing so here.
2) If it didn’t have the flat side, how does the volume within the space stay comfortable and dry despite the conditions outside?
Magic. Because it’s a magic spell.
a) If it was a sustained downpour for even a short duration, the floorless structure you propose would suffer groundwater seepage due to lack of a vapor/moisture barrier. The area inside would cease to be dry.
Again, it’s magic, not physics.
b) If it was significantly cold outside, the lack of floor-as-insulation would mean the area inside would not be persistently comfortable as it would lose its temperature equilibrium.
It’s still magic, not physics.
This is straight-forward deal.
Yes, but not with the result you want.
It must have a floor and it is therefore a stupendously powerful spell that can’t be Rock-Paper-Scissors interpreted in the kind of ways certain GMs want to in order to block a Long Rest.
No floor is specified.

Oofta

Legend
Yes, spells don't go out, but missiles can as they are objects inside the dome when it is cast, unfortunately.

Indeed, and as written, it's not too bad I think, except maybe for the missile fire.
Not being able to attack at all from the inside is a house rule. I just think it fits the intent of the spell.

Oofta

Legend

One clarification on this if you want to run it 100% RAW is that: "Creatures and objects within the dome when you cast this spell can move through it freely. "

Which means that if you fire an arrow at someone and it doesn't break, they can pick it up and use it to attack people inside the dome.

Lyxen

Great Old One
Not being able to attack at all from the inside is a house rule. I just think it fits the intent of the spell.

I absolutely understood it that way, no worries, and I think the same actually, it's just that after managing 20 pages of house rules in 3e, I have decided not to create any in 5e. :)

One clarification on this if you want to run it 100% RAW is that: "Creatures and objects within the dome when you cast this spell can move through it freely. "
Which means that if you fire an arrow at someone and it doesn't break, they can pick it up and use it to attack people inside the dome.

That is an excellent point and would come as a nice surprise. Actually, I like that spell and the way it's worded, lots of shenanigans possible there. :)

Dausuul

Legend
If the dome has a flat floor, what does it do to the ground underneath, which is presumably not perfectly flat? Does it slice off chunks? Leave gaps for protrusions to poke through? Or does the whole hut just rest unsteadily on top of uneven ground?

I think it's both simpler and more balanced to say there is no floor, and the spell magically warms or cools the air inside. If the dome can be dug under, that allows noncasting foes a way to assault it--difficult and slow, but doable.

Lyxen

Great Old One
If the dome has a flat floor, what does it do to the ground underneath, which is presumably not perfectly flat? Does it slice off chunks? Leave gaps for protrusions to poke through? Or does the whole hut just rest unsteadily on top of uneven ground?

This is where details in the description help, indeed it does not say what happens when it intersects the floor, so I would certainly say that it does not carve out chunks. You have two options, make it penetrate the floor without problem (but as it springs around you, you are presumably near the centre of the hemisphere), or saying that it cannot intersect anything which is a bit strange as that limitation is not mentioned and other spells of the same kind like wall of force don't have limitations either (only for creatures, not the environment). The first one is probably the easiest, that way it compensates for uneven terrain, but if there are features inside it, it might reduce the occupancy limit.

I think it's both simpler and more balanced to say there is no floor, and the spell magically warms or cools the air inside. If the dome can be dug under, that allows noncasting foes a way to assault it--difficult and slow, but doable.

Agreed.

Remove ads