The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance | Trailer | Netflix

Mercurius

Legend
I'm a big fan of the movie and this looks decent enough, but I just don't know how they can make it work when we know "the resistance" doesn't work and the Skeksis win.

I would have been far more interested in either a sequel series or a series about the "Fall" when the original race split into the Skeksis and Mystics. This just seems...unnecessary?

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
I'm a big fan of the movie and this looks decent enough, but I just don't know how they can make it work when we know "the resistance" doesn't work and the Skeksis win.

I would have been far more interested in either a sequel series or a series about the "Fall" when the original race split into the Skeksis and Mystics. This just seems...unnecessary?
I also would have found a sequel more compelling, on a premise level, but it looks really good so I’m gonna give it a chance regardless.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
And, here's the title theme. Interestingly, it has a title theme, but apparently the show doesn't have the classic opening title sequence. This reportedly plays at several important points during the eries, and over the closing credits.

Last edited:

Janx

Hero
We've seen the first three episodes. Looks great.

But the initial premise as explained by Sigourney Weaver feels a bit contradictory to the movie

Janx

Hero
Same here. My wife and I are not so much on the binge-watching, so it takes a while.

In what way?
This might get spoilery for folks who didn't get this far........

Based on my memory (which as we know could be faulty), In the original movie, the Skeksis are split souls from these other nice wise critters which happened during the initial damaging of the Shard. Restoring the shard repaired everything and merged them back together. (note: wikipedia seems to agree with my memory).

The prologue said the Skeksis showed up from another world and then distracted Augrha with an Orery and then took over the crystal.

It's not deal breaking, but it seemed an odd way to phrase their origin, even if trying to keep the movie reveal a secret.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter

Your memory is correct. The timeline as seen in other (possibly not-considered-canon) sources goes like this:

0) Thra is. Everyone goes about their business.
1) The urSkeks are banished from their home, arrive on Thra.
2) A thousand years pass - then the urSkeks try to go home, and fail, cracking the crystal. They are split into the Skeksis and the urRu (aka "Mystics").
3) Another thousand years pass, the Crystal is healed, the Skeksis and Mystics are rejoined, and leave Thra.

This series fits between (2) and (3). I have not yet finished it, but it looks to be late in that thousand years - so the only person around who may have ever seen one of the urSkeks is probably Augrha. The only outright contradiction I know of is whether the urSkeks or the Skeksis make Augrha's Observatory.

Note the speaker (it is Sigourney Weaver's voice) who lays things out at the start of the series is named - the Myth-Speaker. Not the History Speaker. Take it that nobody remembers for sure where the Skeksis came from, and it is just fine.

Last edited:

RSIxidor

Adventurer

Based on my memory (which as we know could be faulty), In the original movie, the Skeksis are split souls from these other nice wise critters which happened during the initial damaging of the Shard. Restoring the shard repaired everything and merged them back together. (note: wikipedia seems to agree with my memory).

The prologue said the Skeksis showed up from another world and then distracted Augrha with an Orery and then took over the crystal.

It's not deal breaking, but it seemed an odd way to phrase their origin, even if trying to keep the movie reveal a secret.

I don't think it's meant to be contradictory. I think the introduction is meant to be brief without complicating some things for the viewer and without explaining everything about the Skeksis up front.

EDIT: There's some comics which explore this a bit more, Creation Myths, but I think we'd probably look at anything live action as primary source for now. I don't think the comics conflict in this case, though.

I watched the entire series over the course of the long weekend, and I really liked it. This is after watching the movie last week in preparation.

I too thought that some of what they did in the first few episodes was contradictory to what happens in the movie, but later in the series, things start lining up a bit more. My only (minor) complaint is the extra emphasis on Augrha and the fact that she's this uber-character similar to Elminster or Gandalf. Again, though, it's only a minor quibble.

I really liked the fact that at one point in the series, you can actually see the D&D party being formed. You can look at it and say, "There's the fighter, there's the barbarian, the podling is the paladin...that guy right there is definitely the bard...oh, and she's the druid."

Remove ads