The Dark Squad in the Secrets of Saltmarsh #133 Fellowyn's First Massacre.

Goonalan

Legend
Supporter
Dark Squad in the Secrets of Saltmarsh

Session #092: Interview with a Dhampir.

Dark Squad (in alphabetical order, no egos here).
Daktari/Dak (played by Haggis) Male Human Uthgardt Sky Pony Barbarian Lvl 8
New Tricks/Newt (played by Bear) Male Tabaxi Warlock Lvl 8
Nicholai Barbaros Kostyiev/Nicky (played by George) Male Dhampir Cleric of Twilight Lvl 8
Ramshambo/Ram (played by Kev) Male Half-Elf Rogue/Fighter Lvl 7/1
Vincenzo/Vinnie (played by Haggis) Male Shifter (Wildhunt) Druid Lvl 8

NPCs
Inverna Nightbreeze (played by George) Female Wood Elf Fighter Lvl 8 (Sidekick) RETIRED
Garumn Male Mountain Dwarf Paladin of Moradin Lvl 5 RIP*
Tarbin Tul (played by goonalan) Male Human Bard RETIRED
Ubmo (played by Goonalan) Supreme Being Lvl 1 (When we remember)
*Trapped in the Land of the Bad Dead Ancestors.

Servants/Familiars
Gerald (Bat/Giant Bat) servant/mount of New Tricks
Owly (Owl) Vinnie’s familiar

The Dark Squad’s to-do list-

1. Vinnie needs to be back for the next Saltmarsh Council meeting on the 1st Kythorn (June).
  2. Awaiting new answers to new questions from the priests at Fallowstone Holy, info will be sent to Saltmarsh for around the 10th of Kythorn (June).
  3. Find the other four Symbols of Ub, one was left in Deepbridge (Duergar fortress in the Underdark). The others need to be found, they belonged to- Rambles 'Shambles' Bowspirit (halfling killer from Lowhill), Antonio De La Crane (posh kid druid alchemist) & Giggles (crazy wood elf). All of these folk lived in the Saltmarsh region, the Dark Squad have found the De La Crane Manse (in the Dreadwood) and the De La Crane Crypt (in Saltmarsh Cemetery).
  4. Nightshade is in the Deep Dreadwood?
  5. Blackedge and the Goblin Stair?
  6. To join the Pact of the Wild Flame you need to find the hidden weapons left to fight Ashardalon, these are in a dragon-in-flight shaped barrow in Farrow Woods.
  7. To join the Pact of the Wild Flame prepare the Witch's Tor for the coming of the starfall, the Witch's Tor is in the Drowned Forest, in the Mere of the Dead Men.
  8. To join the Pact of the Wild Flame track down the last member of the Pact, a wild elf adventurer called Giggles- and finally put her spirit to rest, and also recover her maze button. Location unknown. SEE 2. ABOVE.
This is session 91, and it was great, but there'll be a lot more chat and text in this one, because... well, there was a lot more chat in this one.

The Dark Squad are still sub-aqua swimming through ancient dwarven ruins situated beneath Salt Cave, which is just up the coast from Ashby (their favourite coastal settlement), they're saving the village from the sahuagin (Soggys) remember.

9200.jpg

But first things first, because a lot of the PCs are broken, the adventurers huddle up for a bit more of Nicky's Aura of Vitality, and no-one needs healing more than Nicky, he spent time dirt napping twice in the previous session.

9201.jpg

And after healing comes exploring, although the PCs are sore amazed that nothing has jumped out at them yet, they're expecting an end of level bad guy, but...

There are no more Soggys to be found, and nothing else tries to eat them.

However, there is a room to the south, it's hard to spot on the above map, but the Dark Squad find three sets of ancient stone double doors leading into the inaccessible chamber (it's all the way at the bottom of the map).

Furthermore, after a little investigation, Ram is certain that the Soggys were trying to break the stone portals open, although that's another mystery- the stone portals have no locks, and no obvious opening mechanisms, they're sealed fast. Also, this place is ancient- dwarven construction but any signs and symbols have long since faded or been eroded, there are no clues here.

Then however the Dark Squad discover this place (see below), and keep in mind Dak, Ram & Vinnie (unless he wildshapes into something aquatic) are on the timer here, they have approx. twenty five minutes left on their potions of water breathing.

9202.jpg

The odd domed chamber is around twenty feet high, there are another pair of the stone doors to the west, however there's also a (very) large circular/oval stone object that has been chained upright in position upon a dais. And when I say very large... the huge convex/concave stone is eight feet in diameter, and roughly circular (not exactly though), the object must weight several tons.

A short while later Vinnie figures out that the chained object isn't made from stone, it is in fact a massive clamshell (or at least half of one). Investigations continue apace, but again Ram discerns that there is no visible way to open the doors here.

Note, at this point- after a series of spectacularly low skill checks (a variety of skills) Newt is getting irate/bored/whatever with the situation. He's getting sweary-

“What the ---- are we doing here! Ram, you ------- ---- ------ get the doors open or else my Lord, Belphagor, will...”, apologies but at this point the warlock's tirade descends into an unbroken stream of asterisks.

But, that doesn't work, and so...

9203.jpg

The warlock Eldritch Blasts the chain indicated, the ancient and rusted steel breaks and the massive (8 foot diameter remember) clamshell gyres, pivots and thumps into... Dex saves follow, and Ram, Nicky and the Moonboar all make theirs. So, Newt! The tabaxi is lightly crushed against the wall of the chamber by the slow swinging giant shell.

Fate rolls dice, it seems. Who would have thought it.

However, the concave portion of the shell is now facing towards the floor of the chamber, which is a shame- that's the interesting bit.

Eventually, after a short row/argument, Dak- with help from the mighty Newt, who is now doing all he can to help, but pointedly not saying sorry for having got the Dark Squad to this point. Anyway, the pair manage to pull the chain back up and away so that the inside of the massive clamshell can be examined, and beneath the years of dirt is... a maze. By which I mean a simple circular maze has been etched into the palm of the great shell, it's barely visible (beneath the patina of dirt) and yet... it's there.

The maze looks a lot like the maze on the magic button that Vinnie keeps, the buttons that the Dark Squad are looking for.

Ram uses his finger to trace the maze, to map out the solution- from the outside to the centre, and is instantly rewarded- a puff of dust from behind him and the twin stone portals silently swing open wide.

9204.jpg

The spacious high-ceilinged chamber is empty, although... there are strange markings upon the floor here, the markings are clearly visible because not a lot of the dirt and debris has accumulated here.

But what do the markings depict?

Best guess, and this after a series of checks by a variety of PCs- some good, some not-so, the Dark Squad believe the images show a progression of the planet on which they live (Toril), at some point in the future two moons will appear in the sky, and Toril will... well, it looks like it's going to collide with another planet.

But, and this is a big but- none of the PCs have any skills in this area, and so they're relying on a mixture of Insight, History, Arcana, Nature and Religion.

A little later, and keep in mind several of the PCs are now down to ten minutes of water breathing left, the PCs discover that the Soggys they fought to the north were exploring a series of ancient dwarven tombs. They recover the looted treasures from the dead Soggy blademaster, it includes a palm-sized black pearl. Newt is convinced that the gem is something special (it isn't but... I like that he's trying). The PCs best guess is the Soggy tomb-robbers et al were looking for a way to open the doors into the chamber that they have just explored.

Let's just take a moment to say that bit again, or better still to ask the question(s) of the players, here it comes-

“Why were the Soggy's in Salt Cave?”

Follow up-

“Why were they trying to break into a chamber full of ancient dwarven glyphs and sigils that depict... the end of the world? Or something similar?”

Or, I could have asked-

“Do you think this was random? That the sahuagin were just in search of treasure? But that can't be right because they had already found treasure in the tombs.”

So-

“Why were the Soggy's in Salt Cave?”, and, “Why were they trying to break into a chamber full of ancient dwarven glyphs and sigils that depict... the end of the world? Or something similar?”

Note, the Dark Squad before departing the secret chamber use repeated castings of Prestidigitation to dirty the massive clamshell again, to obscure the maze pattern- this after they close the doors again (by tracing the maze again- in to out this time).

Then Dak, Ram and Vinnie depart, at speed, back to the surface.

But not Nicky and Newt, the tabaxi doesn't need to surface as he's wearing a Helm of Underwater Action, and Nicky... well, he doesn't need to breath air, he's a Dhampir.

Which is the subject (sort of) of Newt's discussion/interrogation.

Further note, during the fight in the last session- when the Soggy blademaster got close to cutting Nicky down, well... Nicky changed, his face and features became a lot more... what's the word? Feral? Vampire-like, certainly.

So, Newt wants to know- “What's the story, Nicky? What specific kind of freak are you?”

Nicky explains, and George (who plays Nicky has done a write up of this, before he even built the character- I saw it, but now he can't find it and neither can I). So, a summary of intro and events as explained by Nicky-
  1. He lived his life, a disappointment to his family, in a much less colourful place/world.
  2. His father barely spoke to him.
  3. His brothers mostly picked on him.
  4. Because Nicky is a wet, a nerd, a geek, and he speaks with a lisp. He's also very polite, he says things like- “I say, that's simply marvellous- is it a dwagon?”
  5. Nicky hated his life, or else he wanted to escape it.
  6. Then, in a long sealed room he discovered in the undercroft of the castle in which he and his family live, he found a magical mirror- and stepped into it.
  7. He fell (briefly) through worlds (and space and time).
  8. During his plummet through realities he appeared briefly in the Dragon Barrow with Dak, and then in an undead crewed ship (the Dreadnaught) with Ram, and then in a dark far-future (maybe) with Newt. These visions courtesy of the Moon Pool (Sessions 84 & 85).
  9. Finally, his fall through space and time was arrested when Sehanine Moonbow caught him, soon after he dedicated his life to the goddess who saved him.
  10. At which point, you'll remember, Vinnie turned up for a chat with Sehanine, and Nicky was sent back to Faerun with the shifter druid, to aid the Dark Squad.
  11. Oh, and Nicky is a sort of vampire.
Newt really isn't interested in any of the above, although he let's Nicky blather on and get it all off his chest. Newt's reply (see below), Nicky later states is the kindest thing that anyone has ever said to him, it goes a little like this-

“That's as maybe, and all very interesting. Not! Now, what you need to know is we're the Dark Squad, we're chasing down some mad prophecy... yada yada Primordial, yada yada, big dragon equals the end of the world. But, and this is very important, it's a prophecy- so it's going to play out whatever we do. So, don't bother trying to work any of it out, what we have to do is just keep killing everyone/thing that looks at us funny, and then somehow we'll get to the end.”

Nicky tries to argue- he's incredibly interested in the various prophecies, the nature of Ub, the... but Newt shuts him down again.

“LOOK! None of that is important. What is important is- me! Now, your job is to keep me alive, and even at the expense of the others. They're expendable, remember that. Besides, if you keep me alive then I'll kill everything else, ergo- the others will survive too. Now book up your ideas, and no-more snivelling!”

As Nicky said to the departing Newt's back- “that's the nicest thing anyone has ever said to me.”

It doesn't take much.

The Dark Squad back-track, grab up the remains of the one member of the Hopscotch brothers that has not been entirely eaten by the Soggys, and then Water Walking again they rendezvous with Ludwig Clamzucker and row back to Ashby, after all they only spent about an hour in Salt Cave.

9205.jpg

To Ashby, and the townsfolk there, and keep in mind it's still early afternoon when the Dark Squad return with half-a-Hopscotch-body and a story to tell.

There is much in the way of the wailing and gnashing of teeth, the villagers are distraught to learn that the two young fishermen (Bobby & Trevor Hopscotch) have been killed. In this moment of high drama Newt, of course, gives a speech- it's mostly well-received but it's a bit creepy, although the warlock only mentions genocide twice, which is probably a record.

Dak therefore steps up, and in front of the assembled masses he gives a much more stirring speech, about how in his culture (I am Uthgardt! I am Sky Pony!) the Hopscotch brothers would be celebrated as heroes, defending the tribe from deadly/evil monsters etc. It's a bit of a stretch, but it's heartfelt, and so the funerals of the dead Hopscotch brothers follow apace.

Note, Ram finds the mother of the two Hopscotch lads and presses the large black pearl the adventurers found earlier onto her, to sell, to make ends meet, to go on- he explains. The pearl has already been checked over- it's not magical, it is however valuable (worth in the region of 500gp).

Then Newt sings sea shanties in the Red Dragon Inn for the remainder of the night, and it's stirring evening (his adjusted performance check is a '30'). The drinking (and singing) goes on to the wee small hours.

However, Vinnie also takes the time to take Nicky aside- down onto the docks, and to ask a few questions of his own, the druid was also on hand to witness Nicky's feral change in the fight with the sahuagin blademaster.

We do another twenty minutes of Nicky's story, followed by Vinnie's introduction to the various members of the Dark Squad- Dak is loyal and steadfast, Ram is a cold-hearted killer (with a conscience, eh?) and Newt is a lunatic.

It's very moving- a proper introduction to events for the Dhampir, and a welcome to the journey, but, we move on...

The Dark Squad spend the night at the inn, and then early doors hit the road again- next stop is Farrow Wood. The location, they know, of the ancient Dragon Barrow that Dak (and Nicky) saw in the barbarian's vision in the Moon Pool. There is a weapon here, a two-handed sword, a dragonslayer; and recovering it is one of the tasks that needs to be completed for the Dark Squad to join the Pact of the Flame.

And so onwards, although... here's another little snippet.

9206.jpg

Nice map, very professional. Salt Cave is situated on the coast (obviously) to the west of Ashby, see the bit that says High Top. Well, at this point the Dark Squad- thinking about ancient dwarven ruins, remember their time spent exploring beneath Squabblepot, the hidden gnome enclave.

Here's the thing, during their investigation they questioned Arty Swell about his movements prior to the murder he committed (remember, Arty was being controlled by Ian with one I). At some point during the Dark Squad's discussion with Arty he said-

“Three nights ago I got home from my work at the Farhill Mine. I did a little shopping at the market and said hello to a few folk on the way back into the burrow. I went back to my rooms, then prepared and ate dinner.”

Ram, very clever at the time- but he doesn't remember it now, asked, “How did you get back to the burrow?” And keep in mind the Dark Squad arrived at the burrow via a magical portal, and were sniffing around trying to find out where Squabblepot was on their map.

Anyway, Arty's reply back then was-

“I walked- it only took me a few minutes.”

So, Squabblepot is within walking distance of Farhill Mine.

The ruins accessed via Salt Cave are the same ruins (very likely) that the Dark Squad explored beneath Squabblepot.

But then, we move on- to Farrow Woods.

9207.jpg

Which is still a beautiful place, at least to look at- remember the Dark Squad have been here before too, this is where they came to rescue Bang & Olafsson, their first adventure in the region.

So, Farrow Woods has changed, the Dark Squad (some of them- the ones with good rolls) have a feeling they're being watched, and then Ram spots a pair of floating eyes- a very hard spot, twenty or thirty yards away and hidden within the forest.

Then five minutes later another pair, and another pair- and now Vinnie and Nicky have spotted the watchers too.

But, when approached- and the floating eyes (as if set in a five to six foot tall humanoid's head) are always on the move, they dart away- disappear.

Just once, Ram is convinced, he sees the spectral outline of a ragged and torn elf.

Eventually, Vinnie grabs out his magic maze button- holds it aloft, and then explains- “We are 'ere to re-cover ze ancient weaponz to fight ze dragun. Fur ze Pact of ze Flamz!”

A much abused (very dead) spectral elf appears and points the way forward, the way in which Dak was leading his comrades, to the Dragon Barrow.

Note, the watchers however continue to observe.

Then we get here...

9208.jpg

And the Dark Squad start exploring, the barrow itself is thirty feet above the forest floor, and the only clearing the Dark Squad have encountered within the forest so far.

Note, Dak has forgotten how he managed to get inside (it was all the way back in session #84 after all).

But then...

9209.jpg

Charging out of the woods comes a centaur, of a sort- see the picture, although I don't have the exact image I need- the centaur here looks as rotten and dessicated but lacks the finery. The centaur shouts something about “trespassers”, but in elven- which only Ram (I think) understands.

Then it skewers Nicky with its pike, and then stomps on the Twilight/Moon priest and ruins the poor fellow's day.

9210.jpg

Less than ten seconds later and there are now three of the centaurs in the fight, the first to arrive is almost destroyed (on the right) this after a raging Dak manages to land two Crits in a row (see the previous session).

However, Nicky is also suffering badly and down to less than half-a-dozen hit points- two of the centaurs have stomped and skewered the priest.

Note, I'm not picking on you George- I promise, the bad guys were always going to be coming on to the fight from off the map, you and Newt were the only two PCs I could get to- I rolled a 1d6 to see which of you got double teamed by the enemies. The dice came up Nicky.

Although, seconds later Newt is also skewered and stomped too, and that's about where we're at.

But that's all we did, but I promise we'll do some more of it next time, although the next session isn't until the 28th.

Stay safe and well you lovely people.

Cheers the Dark Squad and goonalan.

Last edited:

Goonalan

Legend
Supporter
Playa Playa

The Diary of Nicholai Barbaros Kostyiev-

6th Myrtul

Dear diary,

It has been a simply rotten day!

I finally gathered the nerve to confront Aleksandr about the ghastly noises coming from his rooms, and Konstantin was there as well!

It is always so much more difficult when they are together.

I asked him to keep the noise down, and he said that the problem must be with my ears, as no one else seemed to be disturbed!

Well, I may have gotten a little cross, and both of them seemed to take offense. They said that the best option was to trim my ears a little! I protested of course, but as usual I was too weak to stop them doing as they pleased.

I am afraid I did not make much of a brave showing of myself. Broke down actually. At least they agreed not to tell father.

Konstantin even said they preferred me better this way, as I am so different that it is strange that I should look like them.

7th Myrtul

Dear diary,

I have decided that I have to take some kind of revenge on Aleksandr. He has gone too far this time.

I have decided to free his latest guest and to get them away from the castle. At the very least it might provide some respite from the noise.

Daylight should give me chance to get them a good distance before I have to return to avoid suspicion.

20th Myrtul

Dear diary,

I FINALLY DID IT!

I think I finally got far enough away that they will never be able to find me!

After the ear thing, and that poor woman, I decided it would be best to avoid my family for a while.

I headed out to that ruined forest temple I have been meaning to take a look at.

What a marvel it is, older even than father. It seems likely that the ruin has stood there since before my family took over the barony.

While exploring, I found a hidden corridor, simply choked with roots. I managed to squeeze through a gap - my build does have it's advantages after all - and found an astounding underground chamber.

It was large and circular, with raised edges like an amphitheatre. The ceiling was painted with an enormous representation of unfamiliar stars, faded by time. After pausing for a quick sketch, I turned my attention to the wide, uncannily level, and utterly unadorned floor.

As I approached, I realised that the entire room was an enormous mirror!

Reflected clearly within was the same sky as the mural, only in the mirror the first light of dawn seemed to be breaking.

Oh how I wish I could have shared the beauty of that image with my family, I do not know if any of them have ever truly seen a dawn.

Regrettably, my usual misfortune and clumsiness decided to assert itself: I leaned over too far trying to get a better look. I remember closing my eyes, terrified that the weight of my mail would shatter that beautiful mirror, but the impact never came.

Instead, I found myself falling through that reflected sky, well above the clouds, just as the sun crested the horizon. I had no way to slow my fall, and could only watch as I plummeted into the swirling grey below.

I must have fainted (weak until the end, father would be so ashamed) as I awoke to find myself before a cave. The wind whipping snow around me as though trying to conceal the breath-taking (figuratively) vista of a sweeping mountain range.

Only the inclement weather broke the spell, and I have retreated into the cave away from the wind.

I suppose I should be concerned for my safety, but it is all too marvellous to concern myself with such simple worries as yet.

Even the cave interior offers new delights! The walls are densely packed with primitive paintings that appear to tell the story of a great hero, battling monsters, creating great wonders and raising cities in his name.

The strangest thing is that I can still see the clouds out of the corner of my eye, as though looking through a smudged spyglass. Though they remain in the periphery even when I turn quickly. Yet another mystery to explore as I learn more of this place.

Disclaimer: The views and opinions expressed here are those of the author and do not reflect the official policy or position of the DM.

Goonalan

Legend
Supporter
Ain't D&D great.

Best game of D&D for ages last night- I have such wonderful players.

Some of that was down to the fact that we've not been together for a while (and the heart grows fonder) but the majority of it was down to the guys (and a bit of me), a fun time was had by all.

Newt is such a screw-up.

And Daktari... cradling the raddled skeletal remains of a dead horse while singing Minnie Ripperton's "Loving You", full volume- no holding back, and with all the tenderness of a Leonard Nimoy spoken word bonanza, only in an emotion-filled cod Russian accent and with the husky voice (and drawl) of Lee Marvin (Wandering Star).

Nothing says D&D like a singing barbarian cuddling the head of a long-dead horse, let me tell you.

If I was the kind of D&D DM that gave XP for this kind of thing, then I would, but I'm not.

I nearly cried when England won the cricket earlier yesterday, but it was nothing like the hard-snuffling I was having to do last night to keep the tears at bay.

I'll say it again- D&D*, naughty word yeah!

*And all other RPG-type games, pick your own poison.

Love you all lots.

Cheers goonalan

Goonalan

Legend
Supporter

Session #093: Enter the Dragon Barrow.

Nicholai Barbaros Kostyiev/Nicky (played by George) Male Dhampir Cleric of Twilight Lvl 8

NPCs
Inverna Nightbreeze (played by George) Female Wood Elf Fighter Lvl 8 (Sidekick) RETIRED

Servants/Familiars

1. Vinnie needs to be back for the next Saltmarsh Council meeting on the 1st Kythorn (June).
  2. Awaiting new answers to new questions from the priests at Fallowstone Holy, info will be sent to Saltmarsh for around the 10th of Kythorn (June).
  3. Find the other four Symbols of Ub, one was left in Deepbridge (Duergar fortress in the Underdark). The others need to be found, they belonged to- Rambles 'Shambles' Bowspirit (halfling killer from Lowhill), Antonio De La Crane (posh kid druid alchemist) & Giggles (crazy wood elf). All of these folk lived in the Saltmarsh region, the Dark Squad have found the De La Crane Manse (in the Dreadwood) and the De La Crane Crypt (in Saltmarsh Cemetary).
  6. To join the Pact of the Wild Flame you need to find the hidden weapons left to fight Ashardalon, these are in a dragon-in-flight shaped barrow in Farrow Woods.
  7. To join the Pact of the Wild Flame prepare the Witch's Tor for the coming of the starfall, the Witch's Tor is in the Drowned Forest, in the Mere of the Dead Men.
  8. To join the Pact of the Wild Flame track down the last member of the Pact, a wild elf adventurer called Giggles- and finally put her spirit to rest, and also recover her maze button. Location unknown. SEE 2. ABOVE.
This is session 93, and it has been a long lay-off, no game on the 28th and so it's been three weeks, we were all very ready...

But first a word from our sponsor-

9300.jpg

Wise words from the stately cat-thing, Newt there- it's not a glib motto for the tabaxi warlock, it's a way of life.

We move on.

If you recall the Dark Squad were getting their backsides kicked (some of 'em) by a trio of undead centaurs, although the various members of the team have failed to fully identify the undead monstrosities that are at present assailing them.

9301.jpg

The Dark Squad suspect that the new enemies are the guardians of the Dragon-in-Flight tomb, it's an odd thing really, from a DM P.O.V.

What's odd?

I'll tell you, the floating eyes/watchers-in-the-wood (see last session) were also guardians of the tomb- the Dark Squad (and in particular Vinnie) had a chat with these odd fellows, and assured them that they were the good guys, and... well, the watchers-in-the-wood stayed away.

My point, the Dark Squad could have tried the same tactic, it just might have worked.

But, they didn't, and so... the fighting.

Nicky takes a proper beating, he's swiftly down to six or seven hit points in then opening rounds. Newt also suffers greatly- and yowls a lot about it- to anyone that will listen. Even Daktari takes a kicking.

9302.jpg

But the Dark Squad keep putting the bad guys down, it's a war of attrition folks- although pretty swift, particularly as Daktari's '20' streak continues for a while, he manages a Crit every turn for the next three rounds.

And soon after the fight is over.

Further investigations conclude that the nag-rag-and-bone piles- all that remain of the guardians, were centaur mummies.

Which explains (in a minute- keep reading) why Vinnie (the Moonboar) finds it impossible to heal the wounds inflicted by the guardians.

Bugger!

Furthermore, the Squad are fairly certain that the undead guardians here were once members of the Pact of the Flame, they're that old- and very elven in feature, and clothing. This after several very high skill checks.

Then rest, but note the watchers-in-the-woods are keeping their eyes on the Dark Squad, the spectral observers are now gathered all around the clearing.

9303.jpg

A Leomund's Hut Venn Diagram. Note the moment after this image was 'snapped' Daktari decided to move next door.

So, that's Nicky's Leomund's Tiny Hut on the left, and Newt's on the right.

Within Newt's Hut, lit by flickering spectral light, the surface of the sphere opaque, a jumble of grind and whirr (a percussionist sponsored nightmare soundscape) plays, while the squatting tabaxi chants and salaam's in guttural (& menacing) infernal.

Meanwhile, inside Nicky's hut the very faint smell of blood is masked by a variety of flowery and/or herbaceous aromas, a little bit of mood lighting, a Brian Eno track, and a scented candle or twelve. Oh, and lots of scatter cushions.

When the short rest is over Newt is sitting on his own, save for Ram who sits within the union of the two sets.

Then, as above, when the healing should be done the Moonboar discovers he is still injured, and after further investigation also subject to the centaur mummies' curse, but the Dark Squad don't have the magic they need to make things right.

And so we go on, and after a little more investigating Daktari eventually remembers where the entrance to the barrow within is, basically he just read back through session 84, that's when the barbarian experienced this place before.

9306.jpg

We're in to dark tunnels, and Dak is heading south- note Nicky (& Dak) both know that the great weapon they have come here for is to the north, but... Dak met a Sky Pony to the south, and so that's his target.

Alas, en route to the spot Ram (I'm fairly certain- although no pictures exist) finds a trap the hard way, the floor ahead- or else a five foot section of it is illusionary and conceals a thirty foot deep pit lined with projecting spikes.

The rogue gets an ouchy, Nicky makes it better.

We go on...

9307.jpg

If you scooch real close in to the above image (you can click on it and enlarge it) you can see the mortal remains of a long dead horse, Daktari can hear a voice in his head, the same sing-song voice as the last time he was here.

“Sing our song, my love- sing it with all your heart.”

Which, inevitably, leads to a cod Russian, mostly spoken word, version of Minnie Ripperton's, “Loving You”, the barbarian even gets his friends to join in with the chorus- and they do.

It made me cry, but y'know, because I was laughing that hard, no other emotion is evoked, just levity.

While all this is going on Dak is cradling the skeleton nag's head in his loving arms, Nicky is making notes, Vinnie... well, he doesn't know where to put himself.

Also note Newt, getting bored, has encouraged Ram to head into another crudely excavated ancient tunnel, the rogue spots a trap ahead, and then semi-safely triggers it- the following ceiling/rock fall is minimal, only Newt gets hurt.

Which does little to improve his temper.

But back to Dak, the voice of the long dead Sky Pony whispers the following words directly into the barbarian's brain-

"Now take my skull, and four hooves, treat them reverently my love for I am racing back to be with you..."

"A skin you will have to find and forge for me, it must be made from the finest shadow."

"A heart too, for my love to run true- you will need to acquire for me the pump of life... it must be suitable, my love."

"It must be- half-night, half-shadow, half-death, half-life, half-lost, half-found, half-fey, half-undeath and it must be filled, of course, with your love..."

"Only then will I come to you..."

"Oh, Daktari.... I cannot wait to be with you my love..."

"Oh, Daktari, I had forgotten how lustrous your hair is..."

Daktari is made up.

A short while later the barbarian shares the above information with his companions, and asks advice from Newt, ostensibly about acquiring a shadow hide, and a heart to meet the above requirements.

I'd like to say that Newt's advice is helpful.

I'd like to, but I can't.

The warlock simply lists the various pieces of viscera that he has acquired, so far, on his journey. He collects mementoes does our Newt.

9308.jpg

Soon after, Newt grows bored again- Daktari (see above) is still rambling on, and so the tabaxi investigates the next tomb over, there are two sarcophagi here, illuminated by everburning candles, etched in to the lid of each is a tall thin elf.

No pictures exist of what follows.

First, Newt tempts fate and flings open the first sarcophagi- the tabaxi warlock is instantly caught in a cloud of acidic gas which stings his eyes and burns his fur. He's not happy.

He flees back to his companions, to tell his sad story.

A minute later, after the acid cloud has dispersed- and Newt has finally stopped bitching, Ram is sent back into the tomb to explore.

There's nothing in the first sarcophagi, and so after checking for traps- and very specifically little holes from which an acidic gas might spurt... there are none, the second sarcophagi is trap free, he opens it.

And is caught in a second acid cloud- note Ram rolled a '1' on his check above, he was absolutely certain there were no traps to be found.

The second sarcophagi is also empty.

Bugger!

I seem to remember swearing at this point.

9309.jpg

Then, with the Dark Squad making their way back to the middle section of the barrow, a bunch (actually a trio) of floating spectral lights turn up and start blasting folk with lightning.

Note, it's at this point that the DM (and the players) remember about Ubmo.

There he is. YAY!

Ubmo says “YAY!” a lot, only in binary (like the sound of a game loading on a Spectrum 48k) which only Vinnie understands.

9310.jpg

The will-o'-wisps keep disappearing- flying off, and then reappearing somewhere else in order to lightning blast a different member of the Squad.

Between the two images above the Dark Squad spend in excess on thirty minutes getting frazzled, chasing after, and/or readying actions in order to make the annoying little floating light-bulbs go away (permanently).

Eventually, two of the wisps are killed, the last one gets away.

9311.jpg

And the Dark Squad, at last, progress to the main chamber of the barrow.

The gargantuan dragon skeleton's skull is impaled by a beautiful greatsword, which- “touch noth-zing ere!” is later identified by Newt and Vinnie as being a dragonslaying sword.

The weapon they are here to collect.

There are two more sarcophagi, similar in appearance to the others found here, although there's some ancient elven text on the stone- the great wyrm was called Aegis, and the slaying of the beast instigated the formation of the Pact of the Flame.

Note, see the yellow square (on the above image) in the passage to the south of Vinnie, that's another illusory floor, with another spiked pit trap beneath it.

Ram, constantly prodding the floor ahead, found this one.

The Dark Squad stop to chat for a while.

The issue being-

“Yew knor, wen yew tak zee sword- zer my-tea dragun will cum alife!”

Vinnie precis what comes next.

And so after thoroughly checking the chamber over once again, the Dark Squad get ready, and into position- ready for the dragon's attack.

9312.jpg

Note, Daktari and Nicky are sitting (balanced) astride the great dragon's skull/head. Newt is hiding, as is Ram.

Ready.

Daktari grasps the hilt of the dragonslaying greatsword in two hands.

READY!

The sword slips out of the dragon's skull, no longer impaling the great wyrm, and... nothing else happens.

The barbarian struggles to his feet and holds his new blade aloft (note the ceiling here is much higher).

From on high he makes a grand speech-

“Be hold! I have new sword!”

And then gets punched- a mean right-hook to the side of his face, with a follow up swift left to the breadbasket that breaks a rib or two.

The barbarian manages to cling on to his precarious spot but then decides to leap down from atop the dragon anyway.

There is no visible enemy in the chamber.

There is however a fair amount of confusion present.

“Sumthing hit me! Hit me har...”

The barbarian begins but then get's punched again, this time in the back of the head- and it's a crit (for approx. 28 damage), and the big barbarian is bloodied and beyond.

But still, there's no enemy to be seen.

Dak scrambles for and then glugs down a potion of greater healing.

His companions collectively scramble and... accomplish nothing.

Until...

Nicky bathes a section of the chamber in Faerie Fire.

9313.jpg

He's a clever lad.

And the outline of an amorphous (although with clean lines) creature is revealed, the enemy looks and moves like the wind.

At the same time the last will-o'-wisp shows up and frazzles Newt some more.

It kicks off.

9314.jpg

And for a while I was really on to something here, my Invisible Stalker started with over 150 hit points, and hit hard- but then the inevitable Dark Squad pile on, and even with a fair amount of missing (Newt missed six Eldritch Blasts in a row- three of them '1's, it didn't improve his mood) the Stalker takes a beating.

Then Newt casts Blindness and the Invisible Stalker fails its save (and it has darkvision, but not blindsight), but that of course doesn't prevent the elemental from knowing where its quarry is- Daktari.

That said the Dark Squads victory is inevitable.

But that's the end of the session, save for one more thing- shame on you, all of you (players), you were so certain that the dragon was going to come back to life (or equivalent). I'm slightly insulted, that would have been way too obvious.

Goonalan

Legend
Supporter
Very cool session. Don't suppose there's an audio file of Daktari's song ...?
Please Jim don't read this... please Jim don't read this... please Jim don't read this.

We had a reprise of the song last night, Newt was taking too long to decide what to do so Dak (Jim) sang at him for a while- which speeded up the decision making process immeasurably.

Toodles goonalan

Goonalan

Legend
Supporter

Session #094: Enter the Dragon (from the Barrow).

NPCs

Servants/Familiars

3. Find the other four Symbols of Ub, one was left in Deepbridge (Duergar fortress in the Underdark). The others need to be found, they belonged to- Rambles 'Shambles' Bowspirit (halfling killer from Lowhill), Antonio De La Crane (posh kid druid alchemist) & Giggles (crazy wood elf). All of these folk lived in the Saltmarsh region, the Dark Squad have found the De La Crane Manse (in the Dreadwood) and the De La Crane Crypt (in Saltmarsh Cemetary).
This is session 94, and yet another cracker...

Remember, I wrote this last time-

But that's the end of the session, save for one more thing- shame on you, all of you (players), you were so certain that the dragon was going to come back to life (or equivalent). I'm slightly insulted, that would have been way too obvious.

Well, check out the title of this one for the giveaway, but we'll get to that.

9400.jpg

Here they are! The Dark Squad, after a brief chat and a modicum of healing, get on- they've the rest of the barrow to explore- actually just one chamber.

And...

9401.jpg

Here it is.

So, Ram sneaks his comrades into the final part of the tomb, checking for traps and being very cautious- there's another illusion covered pit trap at the entrance to this chamber.

And the squiggle of elven script on the lintel over the entrance here, Ram translates- remarkably, he's the only one of the Dark Squad that can read elven.

It says, “The Seekers in the Shadows”.

Which causes a few words of concern.

“Zat name is very family-ar, n'est-pas?” Vinnie states.

“It's another bunch of us! Eyes in the Night- Dark Squad... that kind of thing!” Newt growls back.

“Be on your guard, watch well Ram, there are bound to be traps here.” The tabaxi warlock adds, like he's a team-player, or else he cares about his companions.

9401.jpg

The same picture again, but for a reason.

There are four sarcophagi here, similar to those found elsewhere in the barrow, but along with the usual bas-refiefs of ancient elves- one on each, there's a lot of text on these tombs. Again, Ram translates, and the text explains who lies within each sarcophagi.

And to save time I'll also include the text that is later discovered within each of the sarcophagi, as I go along, note this isn't the order the Dark Squad did things- they did all the translating on the outside first before the rest of the Squad fled the chamber to allow Ram to be alone with the tombs and the traps.

All of the sarcophagi turn out to be safe- no traps at all.

And so, we start with sarcophagi number one, which depicts a ferocious looking (and scantily clad- think Vallejo, chainmail bikini) elven maiden, in translation the text on the tomb says-

“Tardaki, sword elf maiden strong of arm and swift of foot, although woe betide those that would anger her for she was possessed of a frightful temper.

She will be remembered for her lustrous hair, red with the blood of her enemies.

Her spirit soars above yet, like a flying horse, she guards the heavens.”

And within is written-

“LOVING YOU IS EASY BECAUSE YOU ARE BEAUTIFUL!”

Daktari is, of course, delighted- he even treats us to a chorus or two of his new theme song.

Next.

The second sarcophagi depicts a plain looking, non-descript male elf, kinda angry looking- Vinnie spots a series of slits on the sculpted elf's neck- an aquatic elf then, and the text here says-

“Sham-Bo-Ram the sea elf, whose heart had fled long hence, or so the rumours said, even afore the battle against the Dragon.

Swift of blade he was, although less swift to trust, but very quick (and yet quiet) to anger.

Revenge was his watch word, he sought to set his people free, and so rejoice for he freed a great many folk- their souls he sent winging to their dark gods.”

And within... well, that's a secret, and remember Ram is the only one of the Dark Squad that can speak elven, and so when he reads what is written within he keeps quiet, he says nothing. And nothing his comrades say can change his mind, that is until much later- after the half-elf has had a think about things.

This is what it says inside Sham-Bo-Ram's tomb-

“WARE YOUR SO-CALLED FRIENDS, THE LAUGHING ONE'S BROTHER WILL BETRAY YOU!”

And after Ram has had a think about it, and told the rest of the Squad the above message, he also has the answer, maybe- the laughing one is Giggles. A member of the Eyes in the Night, the last incarnation (it is thought) of the adventuring party, prior to the Dark Squad, of course.

Next.

The third sarcophagi depicts a stick thin, well-dressed and snooty looking high elf, possibly a noble, and the text states-

“Went, the high elf, whose mind was long lost, and whose heart was either black or else broken.

A raging furry whose flaming spells sent Aegis the dragon back to hell, possibly there to serve as the terrible Went's new master, for he sold his soul cheaply.

The oathtaker was lost to us- his fury spent his life, his friends fled, and in his fowl fool anger he lost his all, and he fell- again, into darkness.

Went, was sent Far-Far away.”

And when Ram translates the above- mainly aiming his speech at Newt, of course, he makes clear to the tabaxi that the 'Far-Far' in the last sentence is capitalised.

Far-Far away? Doesn't that sound like someone else we know?

Newt's reply- “Oh, NO!”

And on in the inside of the sarcophagi-

“THE MAN AND THE CROCODILE AWAIT THEE!”

Newt, for whom the above has become (at times) a bit of an obsession, manages not to flip-out.

Food for thought, but remember Newt is very much of the opinion that the plot will play out- whatever he and the other members of the Dark Squad do. He's in it for the ride, not to fathom riddles.

Next.

Then the last sarcophagi, this one showing a heavy set elf- as broad as two of his kind, barrel chested but dressed in simple attire, and the text-

“Veldino, the loquacious, and yet strangely accented, moon elf savant.

All that was wild and free in nature loved him best, and in the pale moonlight he bathed and was adored.

He was a friend to the pale dwarf, and thus began our service, and our misery.”

Just in case you missed it, Vinnie's full name is- Vincenzo Del Vino (Vinnie of the Wine).

The above translation causes much more chatter- the pale dwarf is, of course, Ub.

Note, when I say- 'of course' above, I mean that's what the Dark Squad think. The opinions expressed here are those of the adventurers, not the DM- of course.

But there's a lot more text within-

“Veldino it was that gave name to our endeavour, for our service it has been fore-said shall be known across the ages, our time will come... and once spent, it will come again.

We are forever consumed, for we are the Pact of the Flame.

Our course, of course, was named in honour of the one that sacrificed his all, to save the people so that they would live free.

Our beloved hero, the terror-schemer-of-destruction.

Like a candle in the wind, Went- went.

We shall miss him now that he has gone, for in life none missed (or cherished) him at all.

Thus Went, went- and in doing so he (Went) went well.

IF THE WEAPON HAS BEEN CLAIMED THEN THE GREAT DRAGON IS RELEASED, AND IT MUST BE FOUGHT AGAIN.

WARE ALL! THE TIME OF ASH APPROACHES.”

Which is a lot to take in.

Also present, within the tombs, are a whole bunch of (low level) treasures- potions and scrolls, a lute of illusions (in Went's sarcophagi), a driftglobe (in Sham-Bo-Ram's tomb), and a necklace of fireballs (in Takdari's tomb, note the necklace is very tribal, the fireball beads are rune-carved shrunken kobold skulls).

So, the barbarian can throw fireballs now, and Newt is showering him with compliments- the ability to destroy things with fire is the ultimate power, according to the tabaxi warlock.

There follows a very long chat, over an hour around the VTT, and in the hut-

9402.jpg

They're all playing nicely in the one hut (Newt's) now.

The result of the chatter is this.

The ancient elves here fought and killed the dragon Aegis, the huge skeleton they found earlier.

The elves here were the 'Seekers in the Shadows', fore-runners (progenitors) of the Dark Squad.

This thing is circular- 'for our service it has been fore-said shall be known across the ages, our time will come... and once spent, it will come again.', or else on repeat.

Nobody liked Went, the high elf, although the Pact of the Flame started here, and was named after the fiery bastard who's spells (ultimately) did for the dragon- Aegis.

Last bit, the dragon (Ashardalon), now that they have claimed the sword, has been unleashed.

The Dark Squad conclude- Ashardalon is abroad, although as Newt stated- 'Of course Ashardalon is abroad- who do you think destroyed Castell Gwythyr?”

Castell Gwythyr was reported destroyed way back in session 27c, and an ancient red dragon was spotted in the vicinity a day or two before the event was discovered.

It took an hour and an extended coffee break to get through all of this, including Ram's revelation (see above).

Then, after a short rest (only) the Dark Squad exit the barrow.

9403.jpg

To discover that they are surrounded.

Note the above image hardly does justice to the situation, there are an army of shadowy battered and broken elves surrounding the barrow- they look like ancient soldiers that have lost (or won) a war. The tokens on the image above merely represent the front line of the massed ranks, there are hundreds more fallen spirits crowding behind.

The watchers number in their hundreds, if not thousands.

The Dark Squad go for their swords and spells, when they eventually become aware of the situation, they were still chatting about various revelations when the exited the barrow, for which read all of them had their screens focussed on the centre of the image. It wasn't until Ram chimed up with an “Uh-Oh!”, followed by, “Scroll out on the map...”. Then comes the swearing.

However, then the Dark Squad decide to get mouthy for a while, or rather Vinnie tries to explain again to the assembled masses who they are (the Dark Squad- the heroes) and their intentions (to fulfil the prophecy- slay the dragon et al). Newt's version of mouthy is just swearing and threats, while intersperse the druid's honeyed words.

They do good cop/bad cop simultaneously, and not for the first time.

The silent spectral elves watch on, their weapons ready.

The stand-off continues for a short while, until an elven voice comes from the ranks of the watchers.

Ram instantly translates-

“Stand ready, by the fire and the fury... It COMES!”

And while the elf watchers ready their weapons they still do not attack.

And the Dark Squad are still targeting- Newt is manoeuvring his Fireball template on the map, the adventurers are stacking readied actions- waiting for the army of elves to make the first move.

And so they're all surprised when the barrow on which they are standing suddenly tears itself apart.

9404.jpg

Enter the Dragon (from the Barrow). That's right- Aegis is back.

Did you really think I was going to leave a gargantuan skeletal dragon unfought? Shame on you?

The massive skeletal wyrm has a ball of fire and shadow burning in it's skeletal ribcage- it's furious heart. The great dragon manages to poke a good thirty feet of its head, neck and body out of the barrow.

Several members of the Dark Squad are knocked prone by the dragon's turmoil entrance, and then more still as Aegis unfurls its seventy foot skeletal wings and flaps furiously- allowing the beast to eventually get free of its grave, and in the process flattening (and battering) the Dark Squad some more.

It gets violent.

Particularly when Aegis unleashes a breath weapon that is one quarter cold necrotic nastiness, to three quarters splintered piercing bone.

9405.jpg

Where's Newt? The tabaxi was last seen running south east and down the barrow, alas the ranks of the spectral elves coalesce and make it very clear to the warlock, there's no exit to be had this way.

Newt reports this event to his colleagues, who atm have bigger fish to fry.

Note, Ubmo is destroyed in the opening moments- the Supreme Being, of course, reappears unharmed (YAAY!) next to Vinnie moments later.

We get to fighting.

9406.jpg

Note, Ubmo has just been destroyed again, this after he had the audacity to hit Aegis with a lightning bolt.

Further note Ubmo's attacks are chosen entirely at random, on a 1) he grabs out his dagger and stabs, on a 2) he flings a javelin at the enemy, on a 3) he casts Witch Bolt, a 4) for the Lightning Bolt.

9407.jpg

And now we're into it, this is maybe three turns and perhaps an forty minutes later.

Ubmo has just been destroyed for a third time, Vinnie has conjured a Giant Constrictor Snake, which is attempting to grapple the gigantic Aegis. The dragon has taken a beating- Daktari has been coming up '20' again- and his newly acquired dragonslaying two-handed sword is working well, it also helps that he's in a raging frenzy, and reckless with it.

Nicky has his Spiritual Weapon in the battle, and is surrounded by his Spirit Guardians- and guess what? Aegis, as it turns out, is vulnerable to both bludgeoning and radiant damage.

However the dragon is immune to necrotic damage, and resistant to many others- including fire, which has left Newt yowling (in retreat) and taking pot-shots from afar.

Note, Newt does a lot of missing.

But his dice are on fire compared to...

At this point Ram hasn't managed to land a hit yet. You read that right, his dice have abandoned him.

Aegis' AC is high.

The rogue has also taken a beating.

But look again, the dragon has a number of Legendary Actions, it keeps swatting about with its tail- targeting whoever just hit it hard, and every now and then it unfurls its wings again and flaps furiously, flattening the Squad (the save is Dex 20) and clubbing them about their heads.

Aegis is trying, but failing, to get aloft.

Nicky, Ram and Daktari are down to their teens in hit points, the barbarian is the worst hurt- Aegis keeps on smashing, clawing and biting the him because he keeps on hitting with his dragonslaying sword.

Daktari shatters his way through the dragon's ribs, and is at present slicing and stabbing at the bolus of flame and shadow that is the great undead wyrm's heart.

Note, when it got to three blood drops on the Aegis token (see the image above) I added another 100 hit points to the dragon. Why? Because it would frustrate the heck out of the players.

Worked.

Ten minutes later and...

9408.jpg

Ubmo's back, the Giant Constrictor has survived Aegis' breath weapon, but remarkably (+12 to hit) the great wyrm (Restrained) has otherwise been missing a lot.

Eventually...

9409.jpg

And the killing blow, disappointingly, comes courtesy of the druid conjured Giant Constrictor.

Aegis is destroyed, and in the following twenty or thirty seconds reality unravels- the great skeletal dragon is sucked back into the barrow- its scattered and broken parts having tumbled back to the whole, and...

Reality remakes itself.

The barrow is exactly as it was before Aegis emerged.

The elven watchers-in-the-woods are all gone.

The Dark Squad are suddenly surrounded by bird song, and the aromas of the forest.

That was nearly 10,000 XP in action.

Then, after another rest, and yet more healing- the Dark Squad make their way to the fairly nearby Farhill Mine, they're spent.

I had to dig the Farhill Mine out- I tend to delete out stuff that I'm not using to keep Fantasy Grounds Unity slim, so there's no lighting or fog of war et al in this version.

9410.jpg

Back to Farhill Mine.

But that's the end of the session.

It's back to Saltmarsh (after Farhill) next session, and that's admin week- time to ditch the million and one items the PCs have been carrying in their inventories, and also time to fix lots of macros and buttons that have broken due to the various updates on FGU.

Oh, and keep in mind Vinnie has still got Mummy Rot, that needs fixing.

So, a quiet session next time.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases