D&D 5E The Decrease in Desire for Magic in D&D

Hussar

Legend
If polymorph is meant to be used on enemies, then why is there a CR restriction for what you can turn someone into? I wouldn't turn an enemy into a T-Rex or Giant Ape!

Also, for the people who argue about being able to tell friend from foe, I'm curious- if I turn an Orc into a Giant Ape, is he going to immediately start turning on his allies if they're closest?

I'm suddenly imagining, with the shoe on the other foot, a lot of DM's suddenly saying "well the spell doesn't change the Orc's personality, so there's no reason it would attack it's allies". ;)
Note, I didn't say, "Immediately". That's your interpretation. I said that it was a possibility, for example, maybe after the enemies of the PC have been dealt with (the character does retain personality) but, now you have a damaged, enraged animal with a bunch of humanoids with weapons standing around it after the ones that were poking it with sticks have fallen. Animals don't tend to "switch off" quite that quickly. So, maybe a saving throw or something.

But your point about Tenser's Transformation is well made. Tenser's Transformation is actually considerably weaker than polymorph and it's two levels higher to cast, only lasts for one fight, and does not grant any additional movement abilities. Seems a bit strong for Polymorph when you look at it like that.

And, the limit of a T-Rex isn't really much of a limit since it's something EVERY character that can cast Polymorph can do.

Hussar

Legend
Because I see the reading of that polymorph rule as inherently bad or adversarial?
Whereas I look at it as a spell that is horribly broken and ridiculously overpowered.

Again, why should a 5th level spell be MUCH more powerful than a 7th level spell? Granting more HP, better attacks, more damage, potentially speed bonuses and movement types for longer duration than Tenser's Transformation. And, I'll repeat again, I would NOT have the polymorphed creature suddenly radically change behavior. But, when faced with a situation where an animal would likely react differently than a PC, I don't have a problem insisting on some sort of saving throw to act against the nature of the animal.

Used as a debilitating spell, it's not really any different than a Banishment spell, really. Which is lower level, so, basically, it's a higher duration Banishment with a couple of extra benefits. No problems there. That's fine.

But, as a buffing spell, it's WAYYY too powerful.

Heck, something as simple as limiting size changes would fix everything. You can only go same size or smaller. Poof, instantly fixed.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
Whereas I look at it as a spell that is horribly broken and ridiculously overpowered.

Again, why should a 5th level spell be MUCH more powerful than a 7th level spell? Granting more HP, better attacks, more damage, potentially speed bonuses and movement types for longer duration than Tenser's Transformation. And, I'll repeat again, I would NOT have the polymorphed creature suddenly radically change behavior. But, when faced with a situation where an animal would likely react differently than a PC, I don't have a problem insisting on some sort of saving throw to act against the nature of the animal.

Used as a debilitating spell, it's not really any different than a Banishment spell, really. Which is lower level, so, basically, it's a higher duration Banishment with a couple of extra benefits. No problems there. That's fine.

Heck, something as simple as limiting size changes would fix everything. You can only go same size or smaller. Poof, instantly fixed.
Perhaps the problem is Tenser's Transformation is too weak.

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
Supporter

Oh I brought up Tenser's because it seemed in line with the proposed replacement to polymorph's effects that were proposed. As to whether or not Tensers is a good spell, well, you'd have to find someone who has ever used it in 5e, I suppose.

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
So while you will find magic items, weird zones caused by an ancient magic duel, etc. left around the world, people will often not recognize components, symbols, foci or the class itself. Anything that could be used as a weapon, which would include foci, would probably be taken on that ground, but a pouch with odd bits of stuff in it probably wouldn't.
As a former jailor...we take everything.

Remove ads