D&D 5E The Decrease in Desire for Magic in D&D

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
But that there is one single spell that a caster can just pop out their butt the next morning is kinda insulting and unfun. Might as well make it fixable by a long rest at this point and save ink by cutting Greater Restoration.
Except keep in mind that a majority of play (maybe even a big majority) of play occurs at levels lower than would see a party able to cast Greater Restoration in the field, meaning the fix often isn't as easy as you here make it sound.

Maybe the answer is to jump Greater Restoration up a few levels?

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
Except keep in mind that a majority of play (maybe even a big majority) of play occurs at levels lower than would see a party able to cast Greater Restoration in the field, meaning the fix often isn't as easy as you here make it sound.

Maybe the answer is to jump Greater Restoration up a few levels?
I would love to see Greater Restoration at 7th or 8th level.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
I found the number of conditions that required magic in older D&D or inflicted permanent detriments quite frustrating from a narrative and play experience perspective. Monster defenses requiring magic weapons or spells to get through to them. Healing hp. Monster attacks that can only be fixed by spells (energy drain, mummy rot, clay golem) or not at all (ghost aging). This continued into 3e with things like ability drain solely being cured by greater restoration.

As a DM it meant a lot of monsters that were common in modules and encounter charts (particularly non mindless undead) were actually very swingy and unexpectedly potentially killer or crippling while others were fun hp hack and slash ones.
Very swingy is good. :) Modern D&D needs more swingy.
Spectres with their incorporeality and energy drain in older D&D look like they are designed to be specific Ravenloft villains on the level of Nazgul where you hear about a cursed dead lord who haunts an area with numerous victims, you hear about how deadly it is but through investigations you find out their weakness and how to keep them at bay and put them to rest.

But no, there are generally three unnamed spectres in a catacombs or deep dungeon room you come upon who take away levels when they hit in combat and who have a lot of HD and you need magic to fight them. Having a cleric means you can restore the levels lost when they attack, if not you are out of luck.
Er...Restoration in 1e is a 7th-level spell; meaning its caster has to be 16th (!) level. Not many parties have one of those in their lineup.

Level loss in 1e is nasty - and that's the point. Yes, the odds are you can get it (partly) fixed once back in town, but in the field you're out of luck.
This drove things like having clerics in a party being fairly mandatory to deal with normal D&D situations instead of just an option.
No different than needing a mage to deal with other typical situations, a fighter or two to deal with other typical situations, and a thief to deal with yet others.

A party with holes in its lineup shouldn't expect to have the same capabilities as a well-rounded group.
I much preferred the promise of the equipment lists having things like stakes and mirrors and garlic and holy symbols to deal with vampires, silver daggers and arrows to deal with wights, and belladona to deal with werewolves. Magic weapons and clerics were great against most of those, but a non-magical person had options and there was lore about stuff that you could search out and exploit.
Same here, but IMO the lore and the magic can work alongside each other just fine.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
So what? you just get stuck with the condition until the party levels up enough or someone rolls up a Cleric? Because if the DM decided there were no high level cleric out in the world then you can't do squat.
One would think a DM who is using effects that require x-elements to fix is going to somehow make sure those x-elements are somewhere out there in the setting.
That's basically 'DM may I' taken to the extreme. That, to me, feels like a violation of player agency, that there is literally nothing you can choose to do. It's no different than 'Rock falls, everybody dies', just slower.
I can see the rationale for having some things just not be fixable; that, say, a character who gets hit hard by a clay golem has little choice but to retire from adventuring at the next opportunity. In that way it's no different than having a character permanently die off, except the character is in fact still out there and can still be useful in other stay-at-home ways e.g. looking after the party's home base, providing expertise and ideas, acting as a communications link, and so forth.

It's a very gritty style of play, but I get it.
The swingingness between party is particularly grating. If it's meant to be difficult to deal with, make it difficult for EVERYBODY regardless of party composition.
Where I don't mind the concept where sometimes a party's line-up makes a cakewalk out of an encounter that might be hella difficult if not impossible for a party of a different lineup.

The downside of setting up encounters designed to let a particular class or species have its moment in the spotlight - which is something I see recommended now and then as good adventure design - is that a party lacking said class or species is in tough. I'm fine with this.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
1979 Monster Manual:

"Damage inflicted upon living matter by a clay golem is only repairable by means of a healing spell from a cleric of 17th or greater level."

I prefer the OD&D version.
Where I prefer the 1979 version, as this feature is what makes the clay golem both unique and scary. If memory serves, no other monster has this feature. Maybe more should. :)

Remove ads