D&D 5E The Decrease in Desire for Magic in D&D

dave2008

Legend
All I can say is, my three favorite systems--4e, 13A, and Dungeon World--didn't need this. It's part of why they're my favorite systems.
I've not familiar with Dungeon World, and I have not played 13A, but IME 4e, though great, definitely need some fine tuning. I agree with @Lanefan that every system does. I don't think I would want to play one that didn't! Fixing / tweaking things to my taste is half the fun! ;)

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Yeah I'd probably tweak the info you can get a little... I'd probably base it on a dice roll (Insight??) so as not to put that in the hands of the DM. Specifically calling for a HIDDEN dice roll because I wouldn't want the player to know they might be wrong if they roll low.

I'd put it fairly early too in the level progression compared to the 7th level of the Battlemaster, I feel it would help set FIGHTERS apart from random NPCs who 'happen to fight' like a city guard or militia footman.
I think I'd go a step further and have it that even city guards or ordinary soldiers might be able to recognize when they're severely outclassed in the fighting department. A 1st-level Fighter would probably be able to recognize whether or not others are in a martial class, though maybe not get the exact class correct; and by say 4th level can more or less size up in general terms someone's capabilities.
if the Fighter is the Best at Fighting, I can totally see it warping the way they perceive the world. Always doing threat assessment and thinking on how to not be taken by surprise. They should probably get Alert later in levels too.
Maybe, but I'm not sure I'd make it quite that universal. They'd all* get the baseline recognition piece right from day one but anything further might need special training (or a feat, if one uses such) or be a feature of just one or two subclasses.

I'd also really like to leave Alert as a Ranger and maybe Rogue thing, as part of their niche.

* - all single-class only. This would be one way to make single-class Fighters more appealing, that they get perks like this that multi-classers don't; and as a side effect it means one can't dip into Fighter just to get this ability. Every class should have things like this, that you only get if you devote yourself completely to that class.

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
I've not familiar with Dungeon World, and I have not played 13A, but IME 4e, though great, definitely need some fine tuning. I agree with @Lanefan that every system does. I don't think I would want to plan on that didn't! Fixing / tweaking things to my taste is half the fun! ;)
Fine-tuning is certainly useful. Having to comprehensively review an entire system top to bottom, and then correct every single mistake, before you even begin playng? That's definitely not something I would wish on anyone!

I guess I am trying to understand what you want. I honestly do not understand what you want or I missed where you spelled it out. You have given examples of what you don't what, but not what you want as far as I can tell.
I want some form of nonmagical removing of conditions, I have given 3 examples (someone with expertise medicine who was taght minor surgery, Someone with a healers kit during down time, an alchemist/apothecary able to remove the condition) I am sure I could come up with more. Just remove 'only' from these conditions would be a start, but I don't want a house rule, I don't want your idea of how a DM can change the game, and I don't want to have to sell my group on 3pp I want WotC to publish the game in that way.

dave2008

Legend
Fine-tuning is certainly useful. Having to comprehensively review an entire system top to bottom, and then correct every single mistake, before you even begin playng? That's definitely not something I would wish on anyone!
Sure, I didn't take lanefan to mean that, but I may have not look closely enough. My preference is look things over, fix the glaring things and take on the rest as they come up. That was how we handled 4e and how we handle 5e. In 1e we didn't know any better at first so we could only fix things as they came up.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
IMO you can't do the fine-tuning without first doing the comprehensive review, as without that review you don't and can't know what needs fine-tuning as opposed to good-as-is...or as opposed to needs-a-complete-rebuild.

Edit to add: and all of this of course needs to be done with an eye to what you want the game to be, and to do, and what style(s) of play/campaign you're looking for it to give you.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
As much as it takes.
That is what I dispute too much DM load and the actual answer is NO your game isnt supporting it the DM is rewriting the game to make it so. 5e has far more opaque mechanics to 4e which makes it harder to predict the impact of adjustments (which is one of the reasons the alternate rules for 5e need more explanations than they generally have).
And if one is claiming it supports a "style" it should be simple tweaks like those mentioned for magic low play for 4e.

3e, 4e, and 5e each pushed toward some styles of play and away from others. In ve-e-ery broad strokes:

3e pushed toward a rule-for-everything small-s simulationist style, and pushed away from fast-and-loose wing-it play
3e had many highly specific rules... 4e had broader paradigms
4e pushed toward a fast-paced small-g gamist style, and pushed away from granularity in play
AND with wing it being supported with broad game rules to back when you do. (its not pure wing it but rather a compromise)

5e is even less granular too.

nice
5e pushed toward a lower-threat combat-as-sport style, and pushed away from gritty survivalist play.
4e was already away from survivalist though a DM could use skill challenges it was a broad support instead of well high detail one. 5e pushed away from tactical/strategic elements which were arguably a focus in both the previous editions yes it has some but there is some that I think actively works directly against it.

dave2008

Legend
I want some form of nonmagical removing of conditions, I have given 3 examples (someone with expertise medicine who was taght minor surgery, Someone with a healers kit during down time, an alchemist/apothecary able to remove the condition) I am sure I could come up with more. Just remove 'only' from these conditions would be a start, but I don't want a house rule, I don't want your idea of how a DM can change the game, and I don't want to have to sell my group on 3pp I want WotC to publish the game in that way.
OK, sorry I seem to have hit a nerve. What you describe is just how we play the game. Conditions by default do not have a method of recovering from them (that isn't part of the conditions description). Per the PHB:

A condition lasts either until it is countered (the prone condition is countered by standing up, for example) or for a duration specified by the effect that imposed the condition.

So from my perspective it is up to the DM to provide what is allowed to counter the condition. That is RAW creative play, not house rules IMO.

But I will drop this discussion as it seems to bother you. My apologies!

dave2008

Legend
That is what I dispute too much DM load and the actual answer is NO your game isnt supporting it the DM is rewriting the game to make it so. 5e has far more opaque mechanics to 4e which makes it harder to predict the impact of adjustments (which is one of the reasons the alternate rules for 5e need more explanations than they generally have).
And if one is claiming it supports a "style" it should be simple tweaks like those mentioned for magic low play for 4e.
I must admit one of the things I like about 5e over 4e is that I don't have to do any tweaks for low magic play. That bothered my in 4e, but it wasn't insurmountable as some claimed back in the day.

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases