D&D 5E The Decrease in Desire for Magic in D&D

Xamnam

Loves Your Favorite Game
It may be slightly tertiary to the fundamental concept being discussed here, but processed Basilisk blood GULLET OIL is explicitly called out as a potential solution in its monster manual entry, with no mention of the blood oil as inherently magical, versus the supernatural power of its gaze.

Last edited:

Bill Zebub

“It’s probably Matt Mercer’s fault.”
It may be slightly tertiary to the fundamental concept being discussed here, but processed Basilisk blood is explicitly called out as a potential solution in its monster manual entry, with no mention of the blood as inherently magical, versus the supernatural power of its gaze.
I realize emotions and fixed ideas run high here, so I’m not trying to persuade anyone, but personally I would interpret using the blood of a magical creature as “using magic.” Heck, maybe even using the blood of a mundane creature as part of an elaborate ritual.

So, this post by @James Gasik really hit home and got me thinking about something...

For some reason (I really cannot tell you why!) the last few years I've been playing 5E I've desired a "low-magic" style setting/game. I have been all of keeping it more mundane, heroic but not "superheroic", keeping magic and magical items rare, making the game gritty with easier death and harder recovery.

And I don't know WHY I have felt this way... :unsure:

I began decades ago with B/X and AD&D and I was perfectly happy up to 3rd edition with flying wizards, teleportation, and similar magic mention in the quote above. I never had any problem with mighty magic weapons and regions of mystical mysteries lost for ages, where strange and unusual were common occurrences.

But, for some unknown reason, in 5E I don't seem to want it anymore, while it is part of the game (as James says...) and has been for years.

So, I am not seeking answers, but if anyone has thoughts or wants to discuss it, please let me know. It would be nice if I could find a reason why...
Sorry if this is a repeat. I am short on time.

But perhaps this preference comes from age? Brains develop to want cohesion, not flights of fancy: relationships, work, social customs, etc. As we age, we see the more grit, instead of wishing, as working well. It doesn't mean some don't see the beauty in the grit, many do. But they all require cohesion, and maybe that spreads into our gaming imagination?

Last edited:

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
Supporter
Sorry if this is a repeat. I am short on time.

But perhaps this preference comes from age? Brains develop to want cohesion, not flights of fancy: relationships, work, social customs, etc. As we age, we see the more grit, instead of wishing, as working well. It doesn't mean some don't see the beauty in the grit, many do. But they all require cohesion, and maybe that spreads into our gaming imagination?
See for me, it's the opposite. As I get older, the world we live in wears on me. I lack the power to change it, and it makes me tired and sad. It's better to envision a fantastic, magical world, with it's own problems, to be sure, but one that you can change, and make better, just by walking outside of your house and facing down those who oppress others, or despoil the land, or set themselves up as false prophets.

In our world, I don't have much chance of forcing people to change their hearts and minds by talking- but as a Bard, gifted with an almost superhuman level of eloquence, maybe a I could make a high Charisma roll and make rival nations sit down and discuss peace!

Maybe with the sword, I could tame the wild lands, and stop the predations of unnatural beasts!

And maybe with incantations and magic, I can solve the ills of the world. Why would I want to make my fantasy worlds any more like ours than they need to be?

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
But perhaps this preference comes from age?
I am sure that is some of it. For example, I have books I loved as a kid to young adult, but now I am middle aged (getting closer to grumpy old man LOL), a lot of those books don't appeal to me anymore. I have found memories of them, but when I've tried reading them over the last 10 years or so, I just can't get into them or enjoy them as much.

The other part (I'm certain) is there is WAY TOO MUCH magic in 5E's classes, races, and subclasses. NO fighter or rogue should have magic IMO. If you want magic, multiclass a bit once in a while.

Let's look at Arcane Trickster, for example. Rogues have a LOT of class features. Enough IMO that subclasses aren't even needed really. But, with AT, you get all those class features and the spell casting of a 7th level caster (even if a bit restricted). By comparison, would a Rogue/Wizard 13/7 be as good as a Rogue (AT) 20? It would be an interesting comparison....

Magic is also too easy. There is little (if any) chance of a spell being interrupted by an attack, making concentration checks happens more often than not, spell components have largely gone by the wayside due to spell casting foci and component pouches. Being also to cast spells "at-will" from prepared list instead of preassigning to specific slots makes magic even more versatile.

Supposedly these sorts of changes were "asked for" by players, but that was never my experience so I have no clue where WotC got that impression from...

See for me, it's the opposite. As I get older, the world we live in wears on me. I lack the power to change it, and it makes me tired and sad. It's better to envision a fantastic, magical world, with it's own problems, to be sure, but one that you can change, and make better, just by walking outside of your house and facing down those who oppress others, or despoil the land, or set themselves up as false prophets.

In our world, I don't have much chance of forcing people to change their hearts and minds by talking- but as a Bard, gifted with an almost superhuman level of eloquence, maybe a I could make a high Charisma roll and make rival nations sit down and discuss peace!

Maybe with the sword, I could tame the wild lands, and stop the predations of unnatural beasts!

And maybe with incantations and magic, I can solve the ills of the world. Why would I want to make my fantasy worlds any more like ours than they need to be?
I understand this completely. But I like my game to be 80% realistic so it is well-grounded enough that I can truly imagine it. The other 20% is the fantastic. Think of the movie Dragonheart (if you're a fan). If you take the dragon out, the rest is all "realistic", but throw the dragon in and it becomes "fantastic".

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
Supporter
I am sure that is some of it. For example, I have books I loved as a kid to young adult, but now I am middle aged (getting closer to grumpy old man LOL), a lot of those books don't appeal to me anymore. I have found memories of them, but when I've tried reading them over the last 10 years or so, I just can't get into them or enjoy them as much.

The other part (I'm certain) is there is WAY TOO MUCH magic in 5E's classes, races, and subclasses. NO fighter or rogue should have magic IMO. If you want magic, multiclass a bit once in a while.

Let's look at Arcane Trickster, for example. Rogues have a LOT of class features. Enough IMO that subclasses aren't even needed really. But, with AT, you get all those class features and the spell casting of a 7th level caster (even if a bit restricted). By comparison, would a Rogue/Wizard 13/7 be as good as a Rogue (AT) 20? It would be an interesting comparison....

Magic is also too easy. There is little (if any) chance of a spell being interrupted by an attack, making concentration checks happens more often than not, spell components have largely gone by the wayside due to spell casting foci and component pouches. Being also to cast spells "at-will" from prepared list instead of preassigning to specific slots makes magic even more versatile.

Supposedly these sorts of changes were "asked for" by players, but that was never my experience so I have no clue where WotC got that impression from...

I understand this completely. But I like my game to be 80% realistic so it is well-grounded enough that I can truly imagine it. The other 20% is the fantastic. Think of the movie Dragonheart (if you're a fan). If you take the dragon out, the rest is all "realistic", but throw the dragon in and it becomes "fantastic".
And if that's the level of fantasy you're comfortable with, that's perfectly fine. But D&D has always been magical to me. Evil wizards, undead, dragons, monsters who can instantly rust metal, disintegrate things with eye lasers, conjure profound darkness, or instantly heal sword wounds are common things encountered.

Weird crypts carved from the earth, with strange magical defenses and ancient treasures from a long lost golden age abound. Calling upon your gods, or unlocking the cheat codes of reality by studying ancient tomes can perform miracles, and magic exists that can bolster and enhance one's skills in and out of combat.

I mean, from the very beginning, we knew that there was something special about D&D heroes- there's absolutely nothing realistic about a 10th level Fighter wading through hordes of goblins, fighting skyscraper-sized monsters, and being punted off high cliffs and not only surviving, but winning!

If that's not indicative of a kind of magic, I'm not sure what is, even if the Fighter's sword isn't glowing with eldritch fire, and he's not chanting words of power in battle.

When I was young, I had the wonderful opportunity to devour a bookshelf full of pulp fiction novels. Conan, John Carter, and Doc Savage were early heroes, and each of them has extraordinary qualities, and encounters things beyond mortal understanding.

Even works of low fantasy, like Thieves' World, had wizards aplenty, and an immortal swordsman doomed to heal from any wound, alongside it's jumped up street thieves, underworld businessmen disguised as innkeepers, and humble seeming storytellers who see more than one might suppose.

D&D has long kept the trappings of a medieval world, despite it's technology level constantly rising to the edge of the Renaissance, with castles and galleons, and other things that don't make sense in a magical world- because these things are familiar and expected.

But yes, the world is too magical for these things to make sense- it's a paradox. The realization of that fact is jarring, and can destroy immersion to a logical mind- you can't help but think, if magic can do X, then why is Y? If the King of Cormyr is a 20th level Fighter, then why is he asking my 5th level Paladin to save his kingdom?

To resolve this paradox, I feel D&D worlds need to reflect these truths. Keith Baker showed us one way that D&D's magic would create a world, but a lot of people found it too fantastic, too unlike the D&D worlds they prefer.

But the existence of magic makes those worlds impossible, really. You have to use deus ex machina like "the gods say so" or "people distrust wizards" or even "these are my houserules that limit PC's to using no higher than 5th level spells".

The paradox- to make a world feel more like "classic" Dungeons and Dragons, one must change what Dungeons and Dragons is.

Because D&D has, for a very long time now, had crashed alien spacecraft, all powerful artifacts, and magic that lets a wooden galleon sail among the stars.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
And if that's the level of fantasy you're comfortable with, that's perfectly fine. But D&D has always been magical to me. Evil wizards, undead, dragons, monsters who can instantly rust metal, disintegrate things with eye lasers, conjure profound darkness, or instantly heal sword wounds are common things encountered.
Oh, I have evil wizards, undead, dragons, etc. in my game world as well, but the difference is rarity... they are definitely not "common things encountered" because if they were, the world would like be hell to live in for everything else, it would be constant war, etc. So, for my worlds, these things are uncommon to extremely rare depending on their power level (so to say...)

Because D&D has, for a very long time now, had crashed alien spacecraft, all powerful artifacts, and magic that lets a wooden galleon sail among the stars.
Yep, and I've had all of those things in my games at one point or another as well.

But again it is the amount of "magical" things when they are too common that takes the magical wonder out of it for me.

Bill Zebub

“It’s probably Matt Mercer’s fault.”

While I personally agree, I see no reason to impose that limitation on others. Keep magic out of the base class, and those of us who prefer our rogues to not have magic don't have to choose the magic subclasses.

If somebody else, even at my own table, chooses a magical rogue subclass, why should that bother me any more than if they multiclass?

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
While I personally agree, I see no reason to impose that limitation on others. Keep magic out of the base class, and those of us who prefer our rogues to not have magic don't have to choose the magic subclasses.

If somebody else, even at my own table, chooses a magical rogue subclass, why should that bother me any more than if they multiclass?

I always feel different about this when I switch from last having read something more S&S or gritty like Black Company or Conan or whatnot to having seen/read something Wuxia like Crouching Tiger or Art of Prophecy.

Remove ads