• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The default campaign world - new article

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
(contact) said:
No, I think you hit the nail on the head. But I don't know if indignation is the right response-- the "default setting" is for groups who don't particularly care that much about "Teh Wyrld" outside of kicking monsters and leveling up.

For those groups, this assumption is perfect. Yes, there is constant fighting wherever you go, yes there are lots of dungeons, and no, we don't know what's seventy miles away.
And I suspect that's the root of this. "What setting are people who don't play with a setting effectively playing in? OK, let's write the fluff to reflect that. The people with campaign settings can take care of themselves."

Felon

First Post
Mouseferatu said:
First off, I think people worried that this is going to impact FR or Eberron need to cut back on caffeine. ;) The article says "default setting" in so many words. Multiple times.

FR is not the default setting. Eberron is not the default setting.

The default setting is the land that includes the deities in the Player's Handbook. The default setting is the world in which non-campaign-specific modules are set.

Just like, you know, it was in 3E.
The thing is, the way it is in 3e is pretty stupid and counter-productive. FR and Eberron aren't the default settings, they're just the supported settings.

I don't think it's all that crazy to think those shouldn't be disparate concepts with incongruent elements.

Kelanen

Explorer
MerricB said:
Points of Light by Rich Baker
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/drdd/20070829a

Ok... this is a surprise. And, after my first shock, I really liked the idea.

"Another implication of this basic conceit of the world is that there is very little in the way of authority to deal with raiders and marauders, outbreaks of demon worship, rampaging monsters, deadly hauntings, or similar local problems. Settlements afflicted by troubles can only hope for a band of heroes to arrive and set things right. If there is a kingdom beyond the town’s walls, it’s still largely covered by unexplored forest and desolate hills where evil folk gather. The king’s soldiers might do a passable job of keeping the lands within a few miles of his castle free of monsters and bandits, but most of the realm’s outlying towns and villages are on their own."

This really looks like the type of setting the D&D game would thrive in. I'm impressed.

Enough to make me leave my beloved Greyhawk? Possibly not... but, then again...

Cheers!

I agree with Merric. I think this is a great idea and it fits in well with my personal campaign concepts for 4E.

Felon

First Post
Victim said:
I don't see anything in their blurb that implies static poverty and squalor. In fact, it seems rather dynamic to me - a setting in the middle of your war to secure the world for humanity. Civilization has neither been extinguished nor secured itself.
The "points of light" setting basically implies that humanity is surrounded by darkness--basically, under siege. It's not hard to see how that connotes squalor. In places where people are just barely eking out an existence, the garbagemen have a tendency to miss their appointed rounds.

But I can see the appeal for D&D to have a world that's largely unpoliced. The one thing that I'm curious about is how easy will it be for players to exploit such a world? In 3e, there is an assumption that magic isn't some mysterious force. The guys who have stuff worth protecting know about charm person and invisibillity spells. But in a world where people are mostly powerless and confined to tiny little pockets, you're not going to have flourishing guilds of mages bringing enlightenment to the world. You're going to have ignorant, unworldly people.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Felon said:
But I can see the appeal for D&D to have a world that's largely unpoliced. The one thing that I'm curious about is how easy will it be for players to exploit such a world? In 3e, there is an assumption that magic isn't some mysterious force. The guys who have stuff worth protecting know about charm person and invisibillity spells. But in a world where people are mostly powerless and confined to tiny little pockets, you're not going to have flourishing guilds of mages bringing enlightenment to the world. You're going to have ignorant, unworldly people.
According to REH and Lieber, you're also going to have the possibility that the local lord is actually some hideous aberration capable of peeling the skin off your skull like he's peeling a grape, and you won't know about it until you're halfway out of the local temple with a sack full of what you thought were gems.

City states ruled by mages and the like can also exist -- again, sword and sorcery stories say they do -- and a DM who runs into this kind of problem regularly can make them the regional default as needed.

Hmmm, Hollowfaust would be a really good 3E pick-up before the edition changes over. Hollowfaust would be an even more impressive-yet-frightening city if it's the only civilization around for leagues.

Ozmar

First Post
Visceris said:
So, they are ditching city adventures and political intrigue in this new version of Dungeons and Dragons, eh? Why not just call it Diablo PnP. That is what it looks like it is becoming. One lone town, dungeon after dungeon of critters with phat loot.

Not impressed in the slightest.

Yeah! Ditch all that boring city crap and political intrigue (borrrring!). Stick to ADVENTURE, man! Diablo PnP = good times. One lone town, dungeon after dungeon of critters with phat loot. Awesome! :)

Ozmar the Very Impressed.

Scribble

First Post
Whizbang Dustyboots said:
Hmmm, Hollowfaust would be a really good 3E pick-up before the edition changes over. Hollowfaust would be an even more impressive-yet-frightening city if it's the only civilization around for leagues.

In it's original setting it kind of was... :p Unless you count Glivid Autel (I think that's spelled right) the more evil version...

Horacio

LostInBrittany
Supporter
Whizbang Dustyboots said:

Hollowfaust is always a good pick, it's one of the best setting book for D&D (IMHO and YMMV, of course ;) ). And I think I will be using it in my 4e campaigns, as I've done with 3.0's and 3.5's ones.

And yet, if Hollowfaust is one of those rare "points of light", the world would be really grim...

Scribble

First Post
Horacio said:
Hollowfaust is always a good pick, it's one of the best setting book for D&D (IMHO and YMMV, of course ;) ). And I think I will be using it in my 4e campaigns, as I've done with 3.0's and 3.5's ones.

And yet, if Hollowfaust is one of those rare "points of light", the world would be really grim...

Thats what I love about worlds like this... It's open to anything and everything, and how the world "is" depends on your current frame of reference.

Sure, if you live in Hollowfaust you might think the world is pretty grim... (But you get by as best you can...) But, low and behold unbeknown to you (on the other side of the dark swamp of unholy mean and nastiness with big sharp pointy teeth) there's a happy little valley filled with bright sunshine crystal clear waters and happy pink unicorns... From their point of reference the world is awesome...

That is, until the magic spell protecting the valley (that everyone forgot was placed there long ago by a wizard of great power) fails and the mean and nasty pointy swamp creatures move in...

Good thing your heroes have just arrived on the scene... ;)

Remove ads