The details in the Devil

Greenfield

Adventurer
To be honest, until I wrote up that last post, I think we all forgot that that was his modus operandi. I'd always done it that way as a role-playing thing, since as far as I know there is no power or ability to handle such a thing.

Unless...

Speaking is an Immediate Action. So a Telepathic conversation could be described the same way. He doesn't have Time Stop or anything like it. He simply knows the rules, that a conversation *can* be described as taking literally no time, or "in the moment between the heartbeats". He was simply nearby, hidden or invisible, and using his Telepathy ability. Some games would describe the rest as "Special effect".

I think I'll run with that. That lets me avoid actual, in person confrontation until the Devil is ready.

With wield skill and divine insight (both low enough level to be o:yawn:ut into eternal wands) you can nab +25 to any skill, +25 UMD makes using scrolls very viable.

A few spells he may use to stop ambushes such as this (which I assume he scried ahead of time?)

Magic jar - inhabiting the body of an innocent civilian should stop the players killing the body, that will cause quite a few complications
Sanctuary - why fight if you don't have to?
Force cage - it's always nice to have an impenetrable barrier on your person
End to strife - it may seem an odd choice to take from BOED but 17d6 damage per attack made within 80 foot is nice

If the avoiding combat rout isn't going to cut it

For the chains a portable hole filled with magma, and some fireproof chains designed to drag opponent he could never normally fight into the portable hole could be a nasty change of pace

Greenfield

Adventurer
Okay, here's a possible build

An 8 HD Chain Devil (as listed in the MM), advanced to 16 dice, is a CR 10. (Monster dice count at 2 for 1 in terms of CR). Now add 10 levels of Hexblade.

Hexblade gets some spells, and more importantly, gives him access to magic items for spells on the list.

It also gives D10 hit dice and full BAB advancement.

And, considering the spell preferences of the party, I'm thinking a Ring of Spell Turning will just ruin somebody's day.

His Dancing Chains ability is based on his hit dice and his Charisma. With 26 dice and a Charisma of 16 or so, I'm seeing a DC 26 Will save for anyone to fight off his control of a chain in their possession. That's starting to get respectable, particularly when it comes to fighter types who are the ones wearing chain armor.

I'm sure there are better builds, but this one has a certain appeal. Hexblade has an "Any non good" requirement, and includes a Curse ability that gives an opponent a nasty penalty in combat.

Further, the spells he gets access to explain much about the abilities he's demonstrated.

Herobizkit

Adventurer
Any way he can get one or more of the players into HIS Plane before they call him?

What if they Devil has some kind of contingency set up that, if called, another member of the party is sent back to his dimension?

The Chain Devil can also find/create a magic item that prevents him from being summoned:
SRD said:
Dimensional Shackles
These shackles have golden runes traced across their cold iron surface. Any creature bound within them is affected as if a dimensional anchor spell were cast upon her (no save). They fit any Small to Large creature. The DC to break or slip out of the shackles is 30.

Moderate abjuration; CL 11th; Craft Wondrous Item, dimensional anchor; Price 28,000 gp; Weight 5 lb.
Dimensional Anchor said:
A green ray springs from your outstretched hand. You must make a ranged touch attack to hit the target. Any creature or object struck by the ray is covered with a shimmering emerald field that completely blocks extradimensional travel. Forms of movement barred by a dimensional anchor include astral projection, blink, dimension door, ethereal jaunt, etherealness, gate, maze, plane shift, shadow walk, teleport, and similar spell-like or psionic abilities. The spell also prevents the use of a gate or teleportation circle for the duration of the spell.
This should make your players wonder and possibly investigate... or force the players to after the Devil on his terms.

N'raac

First Post
Even better, what if the Devil occupies a PC to speak to the rest of the PC's.

You summoned me - I'm right here inside your companion whose voice I am using. What did you want to discuss?

Greenfield

Adventurer
Let me play out the last meeting for you.

Onyx dodged desperately, darting from smoke to flame, a dangerous dance at the very edge of a fiery death. If he flew too low the volcano would kill him. If he climbed too high the hunter Demons would find him. And of he stayed in the middle, he'd slowly roast to death.

He opened the mind link with his allies above. "I need help here. They keep trying to Dispel my wings, and this spell isn't that robust. Get me out of here, fast!"

Granwar's reply came almost instantly. "We've got problems too. This Marilith is a meat grinder to anyone who gets close, but if we give her any space she starts slinging spells. Find a hole and pull it in after you".

"No holes to find. Just lava below and demons above."
Then, after a moment of desperate thought, the Shadow Dancer made the hard decision. "How do you call that Devil?"

Granwar knew the Catfolk was in deep trouble, if he was considering that recourse. But he replied. "He gave me a syllable of his true name, and his seal burned into my hand. I can begin the call, but after that, it's on you. Be careful."

Painfully long moments passed before he heard the oleaginous voice of Kyton in his mind.

"My, you do seem to have gotten yourself in a tight spot. I'm told you need help. What do you need?", came the casual question.

"I need a way out. Can you get me back up, past these things, and back to my friends?", Onyx asked.

"I'm sorry, but I can only carry a small amount when I Teleport, and I myself can't fly. But I can see that you're in a hurry, so..."

And suddenly, the slow, searing pain stopped. The clouds of burning sulfurous smoke seemed to freeze in place, and Onyx found his forward motion instantly, painlessly halted.

"So much better. We're now in that moment between heartbeats, that instant of time that doesn't really exist, when deals are made.", came the Devil's voice into Onyx' mind. "I can take you completely away, of course, off of this plane of existence entirely. If we can agree on a price."

"I'll give you another 10% of my soul. That's the going rate, isn't it? And how would I get back?", Onyx asked.

"That's a special rate I offer to your friend, as he arranged with me. You have no such arrangement. I own the tenth. I want the rest.", the Devil replied, again as if he had all of the time in the world.

"No. I won't barter more than half.", Onyx insisted, determined not to let the fiend ever gain true control.

"Mmmm. Half it is then. Oh wait, was that half for this service, or four tenths, for half total?", came the questioning reply.

"Half total!", Onyx responded angrily. But the Devil had him over a barrel and he knew it.

"Agreed. And I promise that you will be left within sight of a natural portal back to your own world. I honestly don't know exactly where it comes out though.", replied Kyton, apology in his voice.

Then Onyx felt a hand upon his shoulder, and time began to move again. His vision went dark, and for a instant stretch of eternity his insides felt as if they were being tied into sailor's knots. The he and the Kyton were standing on a blasted plane beneath an insane sky filled with roaring red and midnight black..

"Welcome to Hell, Onyx.", said Kyton as he released the cat-man's shoulder. "As you can see, there is a portal right over there. You are free to negotiate passage with the fiends set to guard it. I'm sure they'll be reasonable."

As you can see, no physical presence until the deal is made.

Greenfield

Adventurer
I could build anything I want, but I'm intentionally limiting myself to variants or expansions upon a Chain Devil.

As it is, with the help and inspiration of my friends here on the forum, I've figured a way to avoid the conflict until the last minute.

The game is on hiatus at the moment though, so we won't resolve anything until the end of May.

Just want to correct something quickly. If the Devil dies he won't turn into a larva Devils go by a different system. If he dies his essence will go back to hell were it will regenerate this takes 99 years. But when it's done he will still be a chain devil however one of his bosses could demote him into a lesser form for his defeat. (And being demoted is the only thing devils fear more then true death.)

Anyway my Idea for you is instead of buffing the chain devil is say that his work has impressed his superiors enough that they promoted him to a more powerful form. Like a Bone, Barbed, Horned or Ice Devil then you can advance that one into a more powerful form and or give it class levels. As Devils can take class levels. Like just have a horned devil or the like show up and when they ask were he is he can say that he is the chained devil and that his work as resulted in his promotion to a more powerful devil.

Remove ads