D&D General The "DM's PC"

jayoungr

Legend
Supporter
My group has done it, but I have kind of mixed feelings about the results. At least one of these DM PCs has become a memorable character that we all still talk about, and our DMs have been very good about making sure these characters don't overshadow the PCs. But I feel like it throws the tone of play off in a subtle way that I can't quite put my finger on.

Yes, I'm sure. And frankly, if people don't voice that they have a problem about something, as far as I am concerned, they don't. It isn't my job or responsibility otherwise. But anyway...

Why would it be? When I am controlling my PC I am just another player. When I am running all the other aspects of the game, I am the DM. Divorcing the two has never been a problem for me.

So, again, why would it be? :)
Maybe, maybe not. I can't speak to you specifically.

My experience is a lot DMs think they are doing things better than they actually are. They are egocentric and feel that what they feel is right must be right, and anyone who disagrees, or does not voice their opinion, screw them. So, in other words, I've encountered lots of DMs who say that they are great, that what they do works for their group, but they do so in way that is ignorant of any perspective but their own.

Again, I have no idea or comment on your or your group specifically. But I will ask you, have you ever seen another DM run a game in a way that that person thinks works but you could see was not working they way that DM thought it was?

Never run a DMPC.

Unless for comedy purposes. Its the only time I've ever seen it work.

Youre the DM and not one of the protagonists.

If your DMPC ever does anything useful it takes the spotlight away from tbe players, and in far too many cases is just a DM self insert into the game.

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
Unless I have a good-sized group of players (at least 5), I almost always end up having a PC for myself when I DM. It has never been an issue. shrug
Same. I rarely have a party large enough to sustain itself in my campaigns, so I often add one or two DMPCs to the campaign. The players always seem to like them and have often grown attached to them. I don't make them steal the spotlight, and they have never been a problem.

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
My group has done it, but I have kind of mixed feelings about the results. At least one of these DM PCs has become a memorable character that we all still talk about, and our DMs have been very good about making sure these characters don't overshadow the PCs. But I feel like it throws the tone of play off in a subtle way that I can't quite put my finger on.

Exactly. In my mind, the following scenarios will come up:

A. The DM NPC is just ego-tripping and wish fulfillment, and the DM doesn't care.

B. The DM NPC is ego-tripping and wish fulfillment, but the DM doesn't notice (because it's Lake Wobegon, and every DM is above average and handles everything perfectly).

C. The DM NPC is done well, and yet it still feels off.

The last is what I worry about; it's hard to put your finger on, but it exists. It's like you have a championship soccer (futbol) match, and one team is short a player, so the referee plays for one side while also calling the fouls; sure, maybe he does a great job of being as impartial as possible, but it feels wrong. It throws off the delicate balance between the "DM/referee as adjudicator" and "DM as participant."

But yes, it's almost never done well, and even when it is done well, it still doesn't sit right.

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
Never run a DMPC.

Unless for comedy purposes. Its the only time I've ever seen it work.

Youre the DM and not one of the protagonists.

If your DMPC ever does anything useful it takes the spotlight away from tbe players, and in far too many cases is just a DM self insert into the game.
I respectfully disagree. In some parties, a DMPC can help fill a role that wasn't chosen by a character. I normally choose simple classes (rogues, monks, etc) to fill this role. I have never used a DMPC for comedy reasons.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
But I will ask you, have you ever seen another DM run a game in a way that that person thinks works but you could see was not working they way that DM thought it was?
No, frankly no, simply because (for myself) the DM runs the game as they see fit, especially during the session, and I as a player will never know what is supposed to be working or how.

Oofta

Legend
There are times when I'll have an NPC join the party either because it makes sense from a story perspective or because we're short a critical PC.

How I handle it just depends. Most of the time I'll have someone else run the PC in combat, although I have veto/override control at all times. RP and out of combat decisions are my responsibility. Occasionally I'll run the NPC myself, but TBH I'm lazy and have enough to keep track of the way it is. However, there are times when I'll do it because I don't want to reveal details about the PC.

There are also times when the NPC is there but I just have them split off and do off-screen fights when combat starts, especially if it's not a support class. So the NPC will see a small group trying to flank the PCs and go take care of them, their fight miraculously ends at the same time as the PC's combat.

EscherEnigma

Adventurer
I respectfully disagree. In some parties, a DMPC can help fill a role that wasn't chosen by a character. I normally choose simple classes (rogues, monks, etc) to fill this role. I have never used a DMPC for comedy reasons.
For large enough parties (three or more) I'll let the players find a way to shore up their weaknesses. I haven't been let-down yet.

For smaller parties I think the sidekick rules work well here. Keeps it relatively simple, and you can just hand it off to one of your two players to run the NPC in combat.

It's been years since I have played a "DM's NPC". Now I take a monster stat bloc, say Priest. Put a name on it (Paulus). And the players play Paulus the priest one after the other for the time that Paulus will be with them. They play Paulus collectively.

NPC should never take the spot light from the players. Playing them is too tempting for a DMs to actively play with the players. I want to stay neutral. And if the NPC is supposed to back stab the players, it will. I can always give a false NPC sheet if needed.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases