The Doomed Bastards: Reckoning (story complete)

shilsen

Adventurer
I started reading this story hour recently and I've got to say that the descriptions of battle are among the best that I've read in the Story Hour forum. Color me impressed.

Nightbreeze said:
Seriously, Lazybones, you have a real mastery of throwing DBs in no-way out situations, and describing them so well that we forget the fact that there were many such situations before, and at least one of the party managed to survive :)

Coincidentally enough, this is something I was thinking quite soon after starting to read the story hour. The characters constantly seem to run into enemies who are significantly more powerful than them, often after having had multiple encounters already and being significantly low on resources. And they walk away without a TPK. Clearly Lazybones is just pretending to be a big meanie but is actually just an old softie underneath it all :D

Lazybones

Adventurer
Shh... shilsen, you'll let my secret out... ;)

Thanks for the posts, everyone. Hope you all have a great New Year!

Chapter 325

REUNION

Confronted by the awesome power of the demon Maphistal, Dar could see his own death shining in its terrible red eyes. Protected by its unholy aura and a hide that was deceptively dense, he suspected that even Valor would have little effect upon it. His second attack was more precise, abandoning sheer strength for more finesse, and this time he felt the edge of his sword bite into the demon’s flesh, just below the angular protrusions of its ribs. His sword was as eager as he was, but neither blood nor ichor issued from the foot-long gash, and the only indicator that the demon had felt the hurt was a sinister hiss that sounded from deep within the hollow of its skull.

He aborted any follow up and instead drew back, hoping to lure the monster after him and avoid a full attack. But Maphistal did not need a full flurry of blows; it merely stepped forward and drove its mace down hard toward the fighter’s head. Dar brought Valor up to parry, but the demon’s attack hit him with the force of an avalanche. Pain crushed through his arms, and Valor clattered to the ground as both hands went numb and loose. The fighter nearly followed the weapon, trying to fight the twisting agony as the bones of his arms knit together.

Behind him, his companions were hard-pressed, and unable to come to his aid. Varo stepped up to the hezrou that was thrusting Allera deeper into its gullet, delivering a harm spell through a gentle touch to its flank. The demon choked as black blood poured from a dozen wounds that opened all over its body, and as it staggered back Allera fell free of its jaws, collapsing to the ground in a bloody and battered heap. The last two ju ju zombies, though greatly weakened by Allera’s earlier mass heal, nevertheless pressed the attack, leaping at Varo and hacking at him with their weapons, forcing the cleric to defend himself.

Saracek had selected Letellia as its target, and even as the sorceress staggered to her feet, recovering from the paralysis of Maphistal’s blasphemy, the undead knight laid into her with a powerful two-handed stroke from its unholy sword. The blow would have cut her in half had it not been for her magical protections, but even so the blade bit deep, and blood arced through the air as the young woman screamed and fell back against the wall. The skeletal lord stepped forward, lifting its weapon again to finish her.

Dar reached down to pick up his sword, but his fingers were clumsy and failed to obey his commands, and he could only fumble at the hilt. Not that it would make any difference, not with the demon standing above him, but he wanted to die with his sword in his hand.

A dark streak caught the corner of his eye, and he saw something appear out of the corridor to the right, moving incredibly fast. It was overkill, really, as the charging form, clad in black garments that swirled and shifted around its form, came rushing toward him. His attention was focused more on the demon right in front of him, which lifted its mace to deliver another crushing blow. His questing fingers finally locked around the familiar hilt of his weapon, and as Dar lifted Valor in another futile attempt to block, he heard himself scream a deep, guttural cry of defiance up at it.

Then Maphistal shifted, and Dar realized he’d been wrong in his assumption, as the newcomer sprang suddenly into the air, rising without apparent effort almost to the height of the ceiling. It bore a longspear, a weapon with a shining silver head that Dar recognized with a start of surprise. The spearhead flashed as its owner drove it into Maphistal’s side, sinking deep into the demon’s gaunt body with a solid thunk. At that moment the light of their torches penetrated the newcomer’s cowl, revealing the features inside, but Dar had known who it had to have been the moment he’d recognized the spear. Even so, the sheer unreality of it drew an exclamation of surprise from his lips.

“Shay!”

The demon roared and turned to face the new threat, but its tormenter used the impact of the spear to push off, shifting the arc of her jump to land just outside of its reach. As the scout's feet hit the ground she yanked the spear free, the weapon trailing after her as she kept running past. Maphistal’s counter was well late, the mace slicing through only empty air. The mind flayer scurried out of the way in alarm, but the newcomer paid the creature no heed, spinning and shifting the grip on her spear to bring the head back up toward the foe as her momentum ebbed. The head of the spear hissed with some trace of blackness; she had managed to draw blood where Dar had failed.

Shaylara was not alone; a small knot of dark-clad figures appeared out of the tunnel mouth in her wake. In their van was Talen Karedes, armored in a dark breastplate of blacksteel, with the shimmering sword of Mailliw Catspar gleaming in his hand. He pointed, and the five scraggly figures trailing behind him hooted and screeched as they leapt to assault the demon’s allied forces. Saracek turned to meet three of them, his long blade slashing out to catch the first with a solid blow across the body that knocked it sprawling. The other two came in heedless of concern, hacking at the skeleton with short swords that clanged hard off of the dead knight’s ancient armor.

The other two of Talen’s followers attacked the crippled hezrou. Their crude weapons, a long-handled wood axe and a jagged-edged scimitar, were not able to penetrate the fiend’s resistances, but they certainly got its attention. A few feet away, Varo was withstanding the attacks of the last two zombies with aplomb. His heavy plate armor, likewise of blacksteel, turned their blows, and their bodies, broken by holy power, were not strong enough to lay hold of him. He stepped away from the pair and began incanting another spell. One of the zombies turned toward the fallen healer, seeking perhaps easier prey, but that assumption proved utterly false a moment later as Allera unleashed a mass cure critical wounds spell. Both zombies were utterly vaporized by the healing magic, even as life poured into the bodies of the healer and her companions. Allera pulled herself to her feet, her clothes tattered and ruined from her brief stay in the hezrou’s gullet. As she gathered her bearings she cast about for Dar, and as she saw him, her heart froze in her chest.

“You’re mine, demon!” Talen shouted, as he charged toward Maphistal.

”You dare, slave?” the demon responded. It met the fallen knight’s rush with a blow from its mace that crashed down upon his left shoulder with devastating force. Talen bore no shield, and the impact would have crippled a living man.

But Talen Karedes was no longer a living man.

The vampire shrugged off the hit and darted inside the demon’s reach with impressive speed. Catspar’s sword knifed up through the demon’s unholy aura, piercing its side just above its left hip. The demon clearly felt the stroke, backed by the unnatural strength that was a product of Talen’s transformation.

But the demon was stronger yet by far. As Talen started to tear his blade free, Maphistal reached down and seized the vampire’s arm at the elbow, joining them in an embrace linked by muscle and steel. Talen tried to break away, but Maphistal held him in an iron grip, and the demon brought down its mace in its other hand, smashing it hard into the side of the fallen knight’s head. Talen’s halfhelm crumpled like an eggshell, and with it half of his skull.

“Talen!” Shay yelled. The spearhead caught the light as the scout leapt into another charge.

Dar felt power flow through Valor as he laid into the demon with a furious barrage of attacks. Allera’s latest spell had healed the worst of his current injuries, but his bones still clacked together, and his strokes felt awkward, each turned away by the potency of the demon’s evil aura or by the incredible durability of its hide. Almost casually, Maphistal released Talen, who clattered to the floor in a heap, and then spun, driving the haft of its mace into Dar’s face. The nose guard of his helm shattered, and he screamed as the jagged end of the weapon’s haft plunged into his left eye.

The fighter fell, his face a bloody ruin.

Shay’s legs were a blur as she rushed toward the demon. But this time, Maphistal saw her coming, and in the instant before the silver head of her spear reached his chest the demon’s hand shot out, and seized the weapon a foot below the head. Shay’s momentum carried her forward, sliding up the length of the weapon. She abandoned the spear and reached for the sword at her belt, but before she could draw she met the demon’s dark gaze. Maphistal’s power seized her, and she was flung bodily across the room, smashing into the far wall with enough force to crack the ancient stone. She hung there for a moment, and then fell hard to the ground ten feet below.

”The Master comes,” the demon intoned, its voice hissing like water striking fire. ”The doom of your world is as inevitable as the creeping touch of death.”

Lazybones

Adventurer
Chapter 326

THE INEVITABILITY OF DEATH

“As inevitable... as death...”

The words were followed by a harsh, rasping noise that might have been laughter. It came from Talen Karedes. The knight pushed off of the ground with his left hand, and rose into a kneeling stance with his sword scraping along the rough stone of the floor. His crumpled helmet still covered his head, but through the opening in the front his smashed visage was partially visible. His right eye was gone, and dark matter oozed down the side of his face from his shattered temple. Mercifully, the helmet obscured the rest of the damage.

As Maphistal turned back toward him, Talen shifted his other hand to the hilt of his sword, and slashed it across the demon’s body once more. Again the enchanted steel bit on demonic hide, but again the blow did little more than scratch the monster.

Maphistal did not bother with the mace this time, and instead merely reached out and seized the fallen knight by the throat, yanking him up into the air until their faces were just a few feet apart. “No, slave... yours will be an eternity... an eternity of suffering.” The demon tightened its grip, and bones cracked beneath the iron pressure of its fingers. But Talen merely laughed, a sick sound that hissed out between his lips as a weak wheezing.

Varo struck the demon with a greater dispel magic. Its unholy aura dissolved, but Maphistal merely shot a contemptuous glance in the direction of the cleric. ”You waste your powers, priest. I can restore that with a thought.”

But Varo’s effort had opened a small opportunity, one that was exploited a moment later as Allera unleashed another mass heal, and in its aftermath Corath Dar leapt at the demon, Valor blazing bright in his hand.

The fighter smote the demon, and this time the axiomatic steel bit hard and deep, cutting Maphistal’s right arm through corrupt flesh and muscle and rot until it carved the hard bone beneath. The demon shrieked and turned on Dar, but he was not yet done. Coming up under the demon’s sweeping, stricken arm, he thrust Valor up into its body, the point of the sword piercing its torso just under the protruding ribs and sliding a foot up into the hollow beneath them. A foul issuance of corruption slid from the wound, and for a moment the demon actually faltered, suddenly unsteady on its feet as it staggered backward. But the moment was over swiftly, and Maphistal recovered within the space of a heartbeat, malevolence and hate radiating from it like the light of a bonfire.

Talen had taken advantage of the distraction to escape, transforming himself into a cloud of mist that drifted back to the floor before reforming into a solid form, materializing in a catlike crouch. And as the knight rose, his followers formed up behind him. Saracek had succumbed to Allera’s second mass heal, the spell weakening it to the point where Talen’s followers could hack it to pieces. One of the vampires had claimed the skeletal lord’s greatsword, which pulsed with evil potency in its hands. On the opposite side of the chamber, Shay was bending to recover her longspear. The mind flayer had apparently fled; the creature was nowhere to be seen.

”This changes nothing,” the demon told them.

Varo came forward. “Tell your master that the words of the Codex will come to fruition.”

Maphistal’s response was a look of terrible power, which the cleric withstood without flinching. Talen and Dar started toward it in the same instant, but before they could close to again strike at it, the demon twisted reality around it once more, and it vanished from the chamber in a surge of black energy that flared once and then left them alone.

Dar held his ground as Shay walked around him, taking her place at Talen’s side. Now that the battle was over, it was instantly obvious what she was from the pallor of her flesh, even before she smiled and revealed her long fangs.

“Shay, by the gods, no,” Allera said. Behind her, Letellia and Varo came up to join Dar, facing the vampires.

“So,” Talen said, his eyes fixed on Dar. “We meet again.”

Lazybones

Adventurer
Neverwinter Knight said:
Vampire allies? This should be fun!

Great read, Lazybones.
Thanks. Vampires kick ass. I have to admit, I think I enjoy writing the new Talen more. :)

Chapter 327

PARLEY

Talen handed his sword to Shay, and reached up to pull off his ruined helm. It took some effort, but when the battered metal finally tore free to reveal the ruined head beneath, even Dar’s mouth twisted in disgust. The entire right side of Talen’s head was a gory mess, his right ear dangling where the base of his jaw had been before. Almost reflexively, Allera stepped forward, a blue glow forming around her hands, but Talen’s followers hissed at her, and the fallen knight laughed.

“Have you forgotten what I am, healer? Keep your powers at a distance from myself and my men, if you please. I will be well enough in a few moments.” And indeed, they could see his flesh slowly knitting together again, as the dark powers of his unlife worked to restore him to health.

“Looks like you’ve made a few new friends,” Dar grunted. His wounds had been healed by Allera’s healing spells, but the socket of his right eye gaped open like a pit, raw and empty. Allera started to come to him, but he forestalled her with a subtle gesture, prodding her behind him with his free hand.

“And it looks like you’ve found a few old ones,” Talen shot back, with a hard eye at Varo. “I knew that you would not be able to keep from intervening,” he said.

“The question is, why are you here,” Varo asked. “Or was it the call of your Master that drew you here?”

“I call no one or nothing master!” Talen hissed. With an obvious effort, he calmed himself. Shay moved into the nook of his arm, slipping his sword back into his hand. “We do not serve Orcus,” she told them.

“You are undead,” the cleric replied. “The choice may not be yours to make.”

“We have free will!” Shay insisted. “I chose to join Talen... it was my own decision to make.” She drew closer to him, but a troubled look passed on the fallen knight’s face. It was difficult to look at him for long, as the flesh on the side of his face crawled and shifted as the bones beneath knit back together.

“What about your companions?” Varo asked. “Did they have a choice?”

“Why not ask them?” Talen returned. He turned to his followers. Four of the five were crude sorts of men, their base origins obvious even through their transformations into undead. They had hard, feral looks about them, and their armor and garments were stained with dirt and old blood.

Talen ran his gaze over them. “Well? Drudge, Utar, Needles, and Hedder were bandits when we found them, and a pretty desperate lot, too. They made their choice when they elected to assault us. At least their fate was better than that of most of their compatriots. No?”

“As you say, master,” the first bandit replied.

“What about the girl?” Allera asked.

The last vampire was a slender, almost emaciated figure of a woman, in her late teens by the look of her. She was swathed in dark robes that wrapped her entire body, save for the oval of her face, hidden deep within a cowl. Talen looked at her, and she shrank a bit under his scrutiny.

“We found Calla on the brink of death,” Talen said. “The rest of her family, the other steaders... all were dead, taken by pestilence and hunger. She would have joined them, had we not saved her.”

“Ah yes, saved her from a reunion with her family at the side of the Father in the next life, in favor of an eternal existence in unlife,” Varo said.

Talen’s gaze was cutting. “I do not have to justify myself or my actions to you, priest of Dagos.” He lifted his hand, which tightened into a fist. “I am no longer shackled by the weight of guilt and responsibility that hung about my neck like a yoke while I lived. When Orcus stole my humanity, he sought to make me a slave. But in reality, he set me free.”

“Free to live an existence in the shadows,” Varo said, “to never again feel the warmth of the sun upon your skin. Free to hide your face from men, never to savor the glow of true feelings, of love...”

Talen laughed, but there was an edge to it. Behind him, his servants tensed, the hunger in their eyes as obvious as the noses on their faces. “You know how many times I’ve wanted to kill you, Varo?”

“Enough of this,” Dar said. “Get in freaking line.” The fighter had not returned Valor to its scabbard, and blue flickers danced up the length of the blade as it caught the light of Allera’s torch. “We asked you a question, before. What the hell do you want here, Talen?”

Talen’s eyes blazed with intensity. “I am here... I choose to be here, to bring down Orcus.”

“I would have thought that a world populated exclusively by undead would be appealing to you,” Letellia said.

“My score with the demon lord is... personal.” His arm tightened possessively against Shay, who pressed closer against him, but did not look up.

“Surely you can understand why we are wary of trusting you,” Letellia said. “Even now, your flunkies can barely restrain themselves from throwing themselves upon us.”

“It is not a matter of trust,” Talen said. “Without us, you would already be dead, or worse; Maphistal was on the brink of taking all of you when we arrived. Without us, you will have no chance whatsoever against the Overmind.”

“The Overmind?” Allera asked. Dar glanced at Varo, and noted the absence of surprise in the cleric’s expression.

Talen smirked; he’d seen it too. “A powerful entity. Not quite alive, not quite dead, it is a collective intelligence of the harvested brains of elder mind flayers. Its mental powers are... considerable.”

“You seem to know a great deal about it,” Letellia said.

“Indeed. I have visited its lair. Why not?” he said, as the companions betrayed their surprise. “I am undead, a vampire, surely I must serve Orcus?”

“You are immune to its mental powers?” Letellia asked.

“Another benefit of my... transformation.”

“We’re not here to take on evil brains,” Dar said.

“We may not have a choice,” Varo said.

“The bodies of your friends are in its lair, by the way. They have been animated as undead; the elf in particular makes a quite fetching zombie. And my sword. Careless of you to lose Beatus Incendia, Dar. There are stairs leading down to another level, but even we were not allowed to pass by the Overmind’s servants.”

“Servants?” Allera asked.

“Mind flayers and grimlocks.”

“They could stop you?” Letellia asked.

“We chose not to press the issue,” Talen replied. “Once we saw the others, and heard the tale of the ambush, we suspected that we might find the rest of you somewhere around here.”

Varo pulled Dar aside slightly. “Did you give Alderis my ring?” the cleric whispered.

“This is not the place or time, Varo,” Dar began, but the cleric cut him off. “It is vital! Did you give him the ring?”

After a pause, Dar nodded. “Then there may still be a chance,” the cleric said, more to himself than to the fighter. “You would assist us in defeating the Overmind and its guardians?” Varo asked Talen.

“If you will help my companions and I get to Orcus,” the vampire replied.

“Wait a minute,” Dar said, stepping between them. “Doesn’t it seem likely that he’d just lure us into another ambush?”

Talen smiled, showing his pointed teeth. “We could kill you right now if we wanted, Dar.”

Allera lifted a hand, which became rimed with a bright blue glow. “If you tried, you would burn,” the healer said.

“Noted,” Talen said. He extended a hand toward Dar. “So... allies of convenience?”

Dar snarled and turned, Talen’s mocking laughter following him as he stalked away.

Remove ads