The Doomed Bastards: Reckoning (story complete)

Lazybones

Adventurer
Ah, the old team reunited once again. :)

Chapter 322

VARO

“Allera, are you all right?” Letellia asked.

“I’m fine.” She looked at Varo. “How... how did you get here?”

Varo indicated the fragmented disk in Dar’s right hand. “I placed a refuge spell upon that device. When broken, it transported me here instantly.”

Letellia frowned. “There is an energy field around Rappan Athuk that disrupts long-distance magical transportation. Your spell operates on a principle similar to the arcane teleport spell. Why did it not block you?”

“Because I was already here,” Varo said. “I used a word of recall on a scroll penned by one of the high priests of Orcus to enter Rappan Athuk; I departed Camar shortly after you did, in fact. The spell took me to a hidden chamber just off of the second temple.”

“So you knew about the barrier...”

“There is much that...”

The cleric was cut off as Dar suddenly surged forward, seizing the cleric bodily and hurling him into the wall with enough force to knock the air from his body even through his heavy armor.

“Corath!” Allera yelled. But Dar did not loosen his grip.

“You knew, you bastard,” he said, his voice low and dangerous. “You knew that the priest would be killed, knew that we would be ambushed, you knew and did nothing to help us.”

“I am not as omniscient as you...” Varo began, but Dar cut him off again, drawing him back a few inches and slamming him hard into the wall again.

“No. I am sick to hell with your freaking distortions, cleric.”

Varo’s mouth twisted into a sneer. “I was not the one to reject you!” he returned, with surprising vehemence. “It is only through my intervention that you and Camar’s leaders even know about the nature of the threat that looms over our entire world! You may not like what I have said, or done, fighter, but you will not question my motives! Were it not for Talen Karedes, and Velan Tiros, I would have been there with you, when Nelan was lost.”

When Varo spoke the names, the fight seemed to drain out of Dar, and he released the cleric and stepped back. He let out a grim chuckle. “Well, Talen’s switched sides now; he’s playing for the other team.”

“Yes, I heard about that. It changes nothing; his fate will become that of many, if we fail.”

Dar laughed again. “Well. It’s a freaking reunion, then. The Doomed Bastards together again once more. Navev’s around here, somewhere, and the mad elf’s corpse; all we need is Tiros and we’d be set.” He turned away; Allera laid a hand on his arm, but he barely seemed to notice. He drew off his helm and ran a hand though his short-cropped, dirty shock of hair, pressing his fingers against his temples.

“I didn’t ask for this,” he muttered. The statement wasn’t meant to carry, but Varo heard him, apparently.

“Do you think I wanted this?” the cleric of Dagos said, stepping forward from the wall. “Do you think I wanted to sacrifice everything that I had, everything I was, to this cause? Do you think I haven’t thought every single day about what my life would have been, if I hadn’t found that gods-damned book!”

There was a long moment of silence between the four of them. Then, finally, a noise intruded: a heavy scraping upon stone, coming from the corridor to the north. The sound was of something large, coming their way; a red glow was visible around the corner in the mouth of the passage.

Varo sighed. “They are coming.” He incanted a spell. Allera surrounded them all with a holy aura, while Letellia invoked a ward upon herself.

The stink of brimstone washed over them before the creature arrived a few seconds later. It was a monstrous abyssal hound, which filled the ten-foot passage almost completely. Wicks of flame came from the jaws of its three heads, from which a deep growl emitted, a sound like rocks being crushed. The center head wore a spiked collar of black metal, from which a laughably slender chain dangled. The end of that chain was held by a mind flayer in a black robe, the milky orbs of its eyes fixed on the companions as it entered the room.

Dar lifted Valor, ready to charge, but the creature held its ground. “What is it waiting for?” the fighter asked.

The answer came a moment later, as a soft clink of metal announced the arrival of other foes from the passage to the south. One glance was enough to reveal that this cohort of foes were from the ranks of the undead. Ranks of armored things that had once been men shambled forward, clad in heavy armor. Enough of their raiment remained intact to identify what the creatures had been: priests of Orcus, men and women both, now drawn back to serve their master again in death. Their sallow, waxen skin and the wounds covering their bodies suggested that they were zombies, but they moved with a speed and coordination not common to such beings, and something akin malevolence glowed in their eyes as they spotted their foes. Each carried a heavy mace or morningstar.

They were led by a skeleton, a tall figure clad in archaic armor of black plate and chain. The hollows of its eye sockets glowed with twin points of red fire, the glow reflecting off of the crown of gold that it wore upon its mailed brow. It carried a greatsword, a single-edged blade of heavy folded steel that seemed to trail faint wisps of black smoke as it moved.

“So, Saracek, you have finally come at the bidding of your Master,” Varo said.

“Some oaths can be foresworn, but others cannot be escaped,” the skeleton said, its voice hollow and sepulchral.

Dar took a step forward and lifted Valor, so that their light gleamed blue off the length of the blade. “Whoever the hell you are, you can tell your Master that...”

But he never got a chance to finish his threat, as space twisted on the far side of the room, tendrils of black energy materializing in the air and coming together in a sudden storm between the two passages. The disruption lasted only a fraction of a heartbeat, but in that interval something took form in that space. Some of the black tendrils lingered, coalescing around the entity, an unholy aura that cloaked it in corruption and darkness.

The creature’s warding spell shielded it somewhat from view, but the companions still recognized it at once. The emaciated form of its body, the familiar stench of corruption, and above all the power within the stare that pierced the aura and penetrated into the core of the four humans that faced it.

Maphistal had returned.

Last edited:

Lazybones

Adventurer
Nightbreeze said:
Obviously, Saracek, while powerful, is not a real match for them :D
(unless he bumped him as well....argh)
Saracek's power, while considerable for level 2 of the dungeon (where he's originally found; remember the group bypassed him on their first visit), is now barely enough to qualify him for "minion" status. But Maphistal is a whole other ball park.

Chapter 323

THE RIGHT HAND OF ORCUS

“Oh, hell, not him again,” Dar said.

As it had before, in the third temple of Orcus, the voice of the demon sounded in their minds, blasting away even their own thoughts as each word pounded at their consciousness.

“I told you that your souls would be the instrument for the end of your world. Your pathetic attempts to resist have merely delayed the inevitable; everything that you have done has been to further the will of my Master.”

Dar, quivering with rage, tore himself free of the demon’s compulsion. “You can tell your freaking Master that we’re coming for him next, once we kill his dog!”

The demon’s voice came again, a crashing wave that blasted down upon them with the sheer force of its will.

“Your companions, they already serve the Great Lord. Now, it is time for you to join them.”

Several things happened at once.

Maphistal gestured, and a trio of hezrou demons materialized in front of it, slavering and eager for destruction.

Saracek and its undead minions surged forward, only to stop as Allera erected a repulsion field around them. But the three-headed abyssal hound, Revirax, shrugged through both that and the hold monster spell that Letellia tried to place upon it. Behind it the mind flayer tried to seize control of Dar’s mind, but was unsuccessful against the protection of Allera’s holy aura.

Varo finished his own summoning, and three fiendish girallons appeared in an arc facing their enemies. The one on the left found itself adjacent to the giant hound, and it lashed out with a claw, ignoring the fact that the creature had to outweigh it by a factor of at least three. The girallon’s attack had almost no effect, but it drew Revirax’s fury upon it. Two of the creature’s heads snapped down onto it, seizing an arm and its shoulder. With a shake of its body the arm came off in a bloody mess, and as the ape flailed with futility it caught its throat in its third set of jaws, and put an end to it.

The hezrous quickly joined the fracas, two of them firing off a chaos hammer and an unholy blight while the last charged forward to face the second girallon. The toad-demon and fiendish ape met in a violent flurry of clawing and biting that ended with both of them tumbling to the ground, ensnared in a deadly grapple.

On the other flank, four of the ju-ju zombies had mustered the will to penetrate Allera’s barrier, driven by some vestige of the hatred that had motivated them in life. Varo’s third girallon intercepted them before they could get to the healer and sorceress. The creature eschewed subtlety, seizing one of the undead clerics and lifting it above its head before hurling it violently across the room. The zombie struck the far wall with enough force to shatter bones, but it merely shrugged and staggered back to its feet. The other three zombies lashed out at it with their weapons, delivering powerful blows that left ugly bruises on the girallon’s legs and torso.

Dar stepped up to Revirax as the slain girallon dissolved in a slick of black smoke. The hound sensed him coming and shot out a bloody head to seize him before he could draw near enough to strike. The fighter dodged under the snapping jaws, taking a blow across his back that staggered but did not stop him. Once inside its reach, he brought Valor up in a blur, cutting across its neck. The hound’s flesh was like boiled leather, but the axiomatic blade bit deep, and blood splashed all over the fighter from the terrible wound. A terrible roar echoed from all three of the hound’s heads, and it reared it, bringing all three heads to bear.

A gout of flame filled the angled corner of the room, engulfing all of the companions. The protections they’d surrounded themselves with offered some defense, but all of them were burned to some extent by the flames.

Dar lunged forward to strike the hound before it could recover, but Maphistal struck first, uttering a word of blasphemy.

The demon’s fell power echoed through the chamber. Allera and Dar each felt strength sluicing from their bodies, and Letellia groaned and toppled over, paralyzed. Only Varo was not affected, and the girallons, which drank in the evil of such magic like mother’s milk.

Varo raised his divine focus and presented it boldly at the demon. A second icon, a silver torch, dangled from his wrist, along with a small device that was not fully distinguishable. “In the name of the gods of man, BEGONE!”

Maphistal’s laughter echoed through their minds. “You are going to have to do better than that, human.”

The demon’s allies redoubled their attacks. The mind flayer shifted position and unleashed a mind blast that tore into the defenders. Revirax and one of the hezrous were caught in the cone of mental power, but the hound was a powerful, hoary old beast, and it was not affected. The hezrou and the girallon it was wrestling were both stunned, but the other two toad-demons eagerly leapt in to take advantage, seizing the dazed ape and tearing it to pieces with their claws and teeth.

The companions withstood the mind blast, but with Dar it was a narrow thing. Clutching his head, weakened by the blasphemy, his assault on the hound was feeble, managing only one successful hit that opened little more than a flesh wound in its meaty shoulder.

The hound’s counterattack was anything but feeble.

Dar cried out as the hound’s two uninjured heads converged on him. One set of jaws crushed down on his right arm, pinning Valor and savaging the limb through his protective greaves and leather. But even as the bone of his forearm was crushed through the pressure, the hound’s other head engulfed his shoulder. The dragonhide scales held, but the ribs beneath could not, and blood exploded from the fighter’s lips as shards of bone pierced his lung.

“Pathetic,” Maphistal said, pointing at Allera and calling upon its magic once more. Before the demon’s power the healer’s spells collapsed like fragile glass beneath an iron boot. Her holy aura winked out, and more significantly her repulsion field collapsed. Undead and demons surged forward, eager to bring the battle to a rapid end.

Nightbreeze

First Post
Well, speaking about enemies that they bypassed, there is still that frigging one at the purple worms level. But I know that you are going to make it jump out from wherever he is hiding, you evil one :D

Richard Rawen

First Post
This was a wonderful Christmas present LB, having been away for a time and coming back to yet another impending doom for the champions... well, those that remain anyways.

*slurrrp*

heh... eww.

Loving Varo's comeback, though thus far he's been less than awe inspiring, we know he'll make his mark soon enough. I'm predicting a Mass Heal to make quick work of the undead, though the puppy will benefit as well. Nice puppy. Perhaps they can sing it a song? Eh, Dar probably only knows marches, dirges and dirty-ditties =-)

I'm sure you'll bring in the New Year with blood and violence - if anyone is left...

Nightbreeze said:
Well, speaking about enemies that they bypassed, there is still that frigging one at the purple worms level. But I know that you are going to make it jump out from wherever he is hiding, you evil one :D
Oh, Lazybones will not be able to fit every monster in this story (although not for lack of trouble for the "PCs").

However, on the off chance of the Doomed Bastards' victory (not gonna happen), I'm sure that whatever is left will finish the rest of the DBs on their return trip. :]

Lazybones

Adventurer
Chapter 324

A BLOODY MESS

Allera had fallen to her knees when the demon’s blasphemy had struck her, reducing her strength to that of a small child. But now the purging power of healing energy flowed through her like a torrent, a torrent that she cast outward with the precision of her mental strength and training.

The mass heal spell found its targets unerringly, purging them all of the aftereffects of the demon’s utterance, and healing their wounds. It also struck the charging undead like a hammer, ripping through them with grim efficacy, blasting them to the brink of destruction. Behind their ranks Saracek hissed as the spell impacted against the skeletal warrior’s spell resistance, which barely withstood the force of Allera’s magic.

Varo’s last summoned girallon, battered to the edge of death by the undead clerics, was given a new surge of strength from the healer’s spell. It roared as it laid into the undead all around it, smashing one with every blow from its four arms. A zombie tried to rush past it, but the ape lunged and bit the top of its head off with a powerful crunch of its jaws. The zombie managed a few more staggered steps forward before it toppled over, finished.

As Allera’s healing power flowed into his broken body, Dar yanked his left hand free of the demon hound’s jaws and smashed it into one of the eyes of the head pinning his right arm. The eye squished under the impact from the armored fist, and its jaws opened, releasing him. Its other head lunged at him, seeking to regain its prize, but Dar swept Valor in a blinding arc that sliced off a significant hunk of the hound’s snout. Revirax roared in real pain, now, but before it could muster enough rage to renew its assault Dar stepped in once more, and drove Valor two handed into the beast’s chest. The axiomatic sword found a gap between the monster’s ribs and slid home, the sword singing as the steel grated off of hard bone. Blood exploded from the wound as the tip of the sword found the hound’s heart; a quiver shook its entire body, and then it collapsed in a mangled heap.

Dar staggered back from the bloody remains. Once again a stabbing agony pierced his head, and once again he barely fought off the mental probes from the mind flayer. The distraction cost him as one of the hezrou demons leapt onto him, and he was only barely able to keep from being seized up in its claws and thrust into its huge maw. The other demon hurled another chaos hammer at the other defenders, and followed that with a rush that took it straight toward Allera.

”Amusing, but ultimately futile.”

As the demon’s words sounded in their minds, Maphistal raised a clawed hand, and invoked a fire storm. The flames rushed up in a violent surge of orange and yellow, engulfing the companions. Maphistal’s power overwhelmed the spell resistance granted by the holy aura still protecting Dar, Letellia, and Varo, and blasted them with hot flames. Letellia lived only by the virtue of the resist fire she’d cast earlier, and even with that protection the exposed flesh on her face and hands was blackened by the flames. Allera, shorn of her wards, suffered terrible burns, while Varo cooked in his armor. His girallon’s fiendish resistances allowed it to weather the storm, if badly, but even as the flames died Saracek strode forward and smote the creature with a powerful stroke of its sword. The skeletal warrior’s blade bit through flesh and muscle and bone, and the girallon was dissolving back into nothing even as it fell onto the scorched black stone of the chamber floor.

The armor of Mailliw Catspar protected Dar, at least to some extent; the hezrou he’d been battling suffered more, but not enough to force it to disengage. It came again at the fighter, but Dar brought Valor down squarely into the center of its skull, crushing through into the mushy core. The demon, gibbering, fell to the ground and disappeared.

Allera screamed as the last hezrou seized hold of her. She wasn’t strong enough to fight it off as the demon lifted her into its gaping maw, which killed her cries as her entire head and upper body vanished into its mouth. Her legs continued to kick violently as it kept pushing more and more of her inside it, its gullet swelling to accommodate her.

Dar turned to intervene, but found himself confronting Maphistal, which had finally elected to join the fray in close quarters. Its coming shook the ground, its body massive and heavy despite the almost skeletal appearance the demon presented. Its deadly mace, held in one hand, trailed low beside it; Dar already knew the deadly power of that wicked bludgeon. If he turned to help Allera, the thing would take him down before he managed two steps.

There was nothing he could do but attack. He waited for the demon to lift its weapon, then surged forward, aiming a cutting stroke at its knee. Valor hit even as pain exploded in his side from the demon’s counter. He’d put a lot of strength behind the blow, and his aim had been true, but the stroke slid off the demon’s unholy aura like water on oilcloth.

The same could not be said for the demon’s blow. He felt like he’d been hit by a battering ram; he nearly lost his footing entirely, and actually came a full foot into the air before gravity dragged him back down onto the ground. Pain exploded through him, and he could feel his bones locking together as the fell power of the mace worked through his body.

”You cannot stand against me,” Dar heard in his mind, and he knew that the demon’s words were not bravado, but rather simple truth.

Nightbreeze

First Post
Neverwinter Knight said:
Oh, Lazybones will not be able to fit every monster in this story (although not for lack of trouble for the "PCs").

However, on the off chance of the Doomed Bastards' victory (not gonna happen), I'm sure that whatever is left will finish the rest of the DBs on their return trip. :]
Feh! The only reason against it would be the fact that it's troubling to describe all the remaining monsters in a single post :D

Seriously, Lazybones, you have a real mastery of throwing DBs in no-way out situations, and describing them so well that we forget the fact that there were many such situations before, and at least one of the party managed to survive :)

By the way, as I lack the time to search for it, could someone remind me who were the three men the profecy was speaking about, and whom of them had to made a terrible sacrifice? I think i remember something about a general, priest and mage, but I'm not sure. My greatest fear is the fact that Allera would be the greatest sacrifice for Dar...I grew attached to her :(

Last edited:

Remove ads