D&D 5E The Eldritch Knight...what am I missing?

Grakarg

Explorer
For a EK builds starting at 1st level, I like Variant human and taking the Magic Initiate feat. For my current character, I took Magic Initiate (Wizard) and it definitely let me 'feel' like a magical fighter right out of the gate with the spell and extra cantrips.

Currently, I'm EK 7/Wiz 2 (abjurer) and I'm loving it. The extra versatility from wizard (familiar, wider spell list, rituals) has opened my options outside of combat, and I'm a solid tank for our group that the ranger and rogue dance around to pin down opponents.

Sure, the rogue and ranger routinely outdamage me currently, but I have no complaints. I get to swap out the DM's hits into misses with Shield, have more HP than anyone else at our table, and go nova with my action surge.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
What does such a class look like at character level 12?

I really think EK 11/sorc 9 is better than multiclass in wizard. just dump int, use the EK spells for buffs.

The fact you can attack 3 times and cast the spell as bonus action, break any wizard school. Or twin your haste or even banishment.

wild sorcerer let you be the king of of saves, and desadvantage in ST and subtracting 1d4 make you the burner king of legendary resistence. Plus, wild magic is cool as hell.

krakistophales

First Post
So if one doesn't wanna use a shield then there's no point in having longsword/dueling style over greatsword/great weapon fighting style right? What would you guys suggest for the variant human feat starting off? The usual heavy armor master or something else?

Also, what multiclass caster level would you be at with EK 11/Wiz 9? Do the EK levels count as a third rounded down for caster levels added to 9 levels of wizard?

Lastly, if you wanted to be a pretty 50/50 combination of capable melee DPR along with good blasting and some control/utility, would EK 20 or EK 11/Wiz 9 be better? Seems like getting access to 6th level spells would be dope, with chain lightning and the like. Cone of cold is nice blasting as well, and with evocation school wouldn't have to worry about blasting friends/getting surrounded in melee, as well as being able to add half damage to all cantrips, so GFB and BB become much more viable.

Last edited:

zaratan

First Post
Many feat options, like great weapon master, or polearm master, tht one is good with spell sniper too, to cast booming blade or gfb at 10ft. Even warcaster is very usefull in that case.

Warcaster if you use shield, or shield master. Magic initiate can bring more options.

Sharpshooter and crossbow expert for a ranged EK.

Really depends what you want for that building.

OB1

Jedi Master
For a EK builds starting at 1st level, I like Variant human and taking the Magic Initiate feat. For my current character, I took Magic Initiate (Wizard) and it definitely let me 'feel' like a magical fighter right out of the gate with the spell and extra cantrips.

Currently, I'm EK 7/Wiz 2 (abjurer) and I'm loving it. The extra versatility from wizard (familiar, wider spell list, rituals) has opened my options outside of combat, and I'm a solid tank for our group that the ranger and rogue dance around to pin down opponents.

Sure, the rogue and ranger routinely outdamage me currently, but I have no complaints. I get to swap out the DM's hits into misses with Shield, have more HP than anyone else at our table, and go nova with my action surge.

And if you do take the MI feat, you almost can't beat going Warlock for Eldrich Blast and Hex. EB is a bit MAD, but I'd rather have it with a +1 Cha ability than fire bolt with a +2 or +3 INT as your ranged option.

One other note, I think that EKs are designed to be Str melee fighters. Bladelocks are better if you want a Dex ranged gish.

So if one doesn't wanna use a shield then there's no point in having longsword/dueling style over greatsword/great weapon fighting style right? What would you guys suggest for the variant human feat starting off? The usual heavy armor master or something else?

You can't go wrong with Lucky. Protects against critical hits, helps cover your weak saves against disaster (Intellect Devourers!), and can help out with skills use out of combat (diplomacy!) in a pinch. Obviously can't do all that at the same time, but it's a nice generic all-around bonus.

Remove ads