The ENWorld Electric Bard Gear (Etc) Thread

Any mic stands folks like? This isnt for recording I have booms, I'm looking for something for stage and karaoke.
I use typical black aluminum (I think?) stands with the 3 feet on them and a boom-stand. They range from 20-50$. I've found that the crank on many of the cheaper stands wear down over time. Make sure you loosen your boom before you adjust it to make it last longer.

I got a pretty nice mic as a gift (kind of 50s style look) but it was so bloody heavy, my stands kept falling over. I had to buy a heavier stand. It was around 100$ and is bullet-proof but it weighs a bit more than a cheaper one. I went to see what brand it was but it wasn't labelled and I threw out the box ages ago.

I tend to avoid the old school single foot steel stands because:
1. they don't pack very easily and aren't very compact;
2. they are heavy to carry around.
3. I find they tend to radiate noise to the mic easier for some reason.

If you aren't gigging, a solid single foot mic stand can work but if you're packing gear, you want something that is more compact. If you wear out your boom, you can buy them separately. Just go to any music store and there should be a variety.

Last edited:

R_J_K75

Legend
I was looking on how to re-string a classical guitar. Isn't easy. Had a friend of mine whose done it before (I haven't) and it'd been so long since he's done it that he couldn't get the knot/loop at bridge right, so the strings kept slipping at the bridge as he was putting tension on them with the tuning keys. He got frustrated and had to give up and is going to try again if I can't get it. As I was looking at YouTube how-to videos, I came across this through a pop-up ad. Its free from MusicNomad and really cool. Nice to have everything in one place. You can keep track of the specs on your gear, guitars, basses, amps, pedals and it even give you a suggested maintenance schedule. Its going to take me a long time to input everything, but a little at a time and I'll get there. Here's the link and a pdf of what it outputs when printed. Thought I'd share it.

Attachments

• Squier Classic Vibe 50s Telecaster Electric Guitar, White Blonde.pdf
    353.3 KB · Views: 48

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I was looking on how to re-string a classical guitar. Isn't easy. Had a friend of mine whose done it before (I haven't) and it'd been so long since he's done it that he couldn't get the knot/loop at bridge right, so the strings kept slipping at the bridge as he was putting tension on them with the tuning keys. He got frustrated and had to give up and is going to try again if I can't get it. As I was looking at YouTube how-to videos, I came across this through a pop-up ad. Its free from MusicNomad and really cool. Nice to have everything in one place. You can keep track of the specs on your gear, guitars, basses, amps, pedals and it even give you a suggested maintenance schedule. Its going to take me a long time to input everything, but a little at a time and I'll get there. Here's the link and a pdf of what it outputs when printed. Thought I'd share it.

I don’t remember the last time I restrung my classical.😳

R_J_K75

Legend
I don’t remember the last time I restrung my classical.😳
I went with these for my new Tele, see how they hold up to the Seymour Duncan Hotrails I have in my other Tele. I was playing it early Sunday morning (6AM, turn it up, piss off the neighbors), and I was amazed at how there was no hum whatsoever. At one point I stopped playing to take a pull off a beer and forgot my guitar was even on because those PUPs are truly noiseless. I'm not a badass or a daredevil by any means, but when my friends tell me that they are afraid of heights, spiders, or running water, I always tell them there's nothing I'm truly afraid of, ghosts, home invasion, or Barney but I'm quite terrified of trying to re-string that classical guitar. I was telling my brother this story and he told me when he went to Buffalo Academy for Performing Arts HS that they used to use fishing line for the treble strings on their acoustics.
1693391694083.png

R_J_K75

Legend
Me and my cousin are considering a 1:1 swap. He texted me Sunday and said Im thinking of buying this Squier. I said thats the Nashville PUP setup, I told him I have a Fender Nashville Tele I'll sell you. Its a good guitar but I never cared for it much, so therefore never played it much. So Im going to give him my Tele for this PRS. Thoughts?

Attachments

• IMG_1995.jpg
    IMG_1995.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 36
  • IMG_1475.JPEG
    IMG_1475.JPEG
    91.1 KB · Views: 36

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I’ve never been a seller or trader, but if it’s a piece of gear you never bonded with being offered for something you’d WANT- at least to try- I don’t see the downside.

R_J_K75

Legend
I’ve never been a seller or trader, but if it’s a piece of gear you never bonded with being offered for something you’d WANT- at least to try- I don’t see the downside.
We'll see I played one of his last Sat so I'll try it out. Suppose I can just sell it to him too

R_J_K75

Legend
I was in Guitar Center yesterday dropping off my guitar to the Guitar Tech, I witnessed something gross and heinous. Don't blame the tech, he's earning his paycheck but has to charge what GC says. As Im dropping off my guitar there is a woman, if I had to say 18 y/o, with an acoustic that needs a restringing. $38, Oh but it includes the strings. Shame on GC for taking advantage of inexperienced people like that. Dont take that the wrong way I meant inexperienced as those who cant re-string a guitar by themselves. When I was young the music store was the second barber shop. I used to get old wisdom from both...you turn the tone knob and it crackles, that's the pots, hit it with WD40. String buzz, hit it with some lead at the nut. Those cool strap locking buttons you want to install on your guitar, but the screws are too small, shove some wood glue and a toothpick in the holes then screw the buttons in. I'm sitting there waiting on Craig watching this kid get ripped off knowing its not his fault, its big business. Im waiting patiently in line hoping Craig would beckon her forward and say, "watch and listen to what Im doing so I dont have to charge you $38 again". It didnt happen and my opinion why is because he's afraid of losing his job. I lost a little faith in humanity when I saw that.

R_J_K75

Legend
Tyranny of Souls was a great CD. I have been looking forward to its follow up for years now, so this is great news. Sorry but sometimes I don't know where to post things so here it is.

R_J_K75

Legend
So, here's how the transaction went down yesterday between me and my cousin. I was planning on trading him a Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster for a PRS SE 24 Custom 30 Anniversary. As I was on my way, he was checking that everything worked and went to swap out the control knobs, not sure why, but the push/pull pot pulled right out of the guitar. He said he'd pay to get it fixed and I said that I wasn't too keen tremolo bridges and if he had anything in a hard tail, and he said he had a 335. So, I got and Epiphone ES-335 Pro. As the Nashville more often than not just hung on the wall and was pretty much a sunk cost at this point, I gladly accepted. Even if the Nashville was worth twice what the Epiphone was, I'm happy with it. As my friend said any trade for a guitar you're going to play is well worth it.
Epiphone ES-335 Pro.jpg

Remove ads