The Failure of Gleemax

dmccoy1693

Adventurer
Treebore said:
I'll forgive them if they give Dungeon and Dragon back to Paizo to publish.

Frankly, I don't think Paizo would accept. I don't think they enjoyed the slush pile, working on someone else's products, having to get approval, , and dealing with parts they just didn't care for but did it because they were the license holder.

Now they have their own setting, their own system, their own adventure path stories they'd like to tell, etc. I think they like their current set up much better.

Ruslanchik

First Post
I used to visit the WoTC boards from time to time but stopped shortly after the Gleemax transformation started. I didn't like the Gleemax changes but that is not why I stopped going there. The real reason I hate those boards is because they are filled with jerks. It is difficult to have a discussion when everyone is looking for something to criticize in every post. I know that this is an issue on most boards (even one for a Buddhist magazine I used to visit that had to be shut down for time because of the rancor) but WoTC's boards are much worse than I have seen in other places.

ENWorld, refreshingly, has a fairly positive overall tone. This is probably for two reasons: the people who come here are more mature and dedicated to this site than the people who visit Gleemax, and because the admins work hard to keep things this way. I appreciate both greatly.

Ysgarran

Kzach said:
I can't believe I'm being more optimistic than Merric.

I'm still holding out hope that they pulled their heads in and focused on in-house alpha's and betas and will release a non-buggy, or at least functional, version come June.

But given we've already established in another thread that WotC's web department is run by committee, that hope is a dim one.

It isn't in the nature of a software development project for things to suddenly get better unless you have a major reset of some sort. Past performance really does seem to a good predictor of future performance in the area of software design and implementation.
IMHO, the process by which code happens within an organization becomes ingrained and integral part of that organization. Simply put, change is hard once a group starts doing things in a particular fashion.

later,
Ysgarran.

p.s.
Excellent commentary DarkKestral.

Treebore

First Post
dmccoy1693 said:
Frankly, I don't think Paizo would accept. I don't think they enjoyed the slush pile, working on someone else's products, having to get approval, , and dealing with parts they just didn't care for but did it because they were the license holder.

Now they have their own setting, their own system, their own adventure path stories they'd like to tell, etc. I think they like their current set up much better.

I agree it is very possible Paizo would say no, but I also see a number of reasons why they would also agree to do it.

Anyways, WOTC/Hasbro is never going to admit they are failing/doing anything wrong, so I don't ever see them making such an offer to Paizo.

Still, it does look like they have made a very interesting new fantasy RPG, so who knows?

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Ruslanchik said:
The real reason I hate those boards is because they are filled with jerks. It is difficult to have a discussion when everyone is looking for something to criticize in every post. I know that this is an issue on most boards (even one for a Buddhist magazine I used to visit that had to be shut down for time because of the rancor)
So many jokes ...

havard

Adventurer
For me the final straw was when they decided to merge all the sub forums of the Out of Print Settings.

Yeah, that was a great idea...

Havard

DarkKestral

First Post
Whizbang Dustyboots said:
So many jokes ...

I find the entire idea less amusing than.. totally bizarre and interesting, if only because I've never really heard of Buddhists going around and having such acrimonious arguments about the religion. I know there are some big ideological splits, but they don't seem to devolve to the level of internet flaming.

However, the fact that you think it's funny makes me wonder what you think is specifically so funny about it. (I can get that it's funny, if only because it's so outside my normal experience, but I wouldn't mind knowing what comes to mind most as being worthy of making a series of jokes about it. I mean, it does seem to get funnier to think about every time I read it.)

Clavis

First Post
DarkKestral said:
I find the entire idea less amusing than.. totally bizarre and interesting, if only because I've never really heard of Buddhists going around and having such acrimonious arguments about the religion. I know there are some big ideological splits, but they don't seem to devolve to the level of internet flaming.

You haven't hung out with enough Buddhists then. They're EXACTLY like everybody else. Give the Zen Buddhists a chance, and they'll rank on the Tibetans for being superstitious. Ask any Mahayana Buddhist what they think of Sri Lankan Hinayana Buddhism. In fact, the term "Hinayana" means "lesser vehicle" and is meant as a insult. Every scandal and bit of human rottenness you hear about in other religions is present in Buddhism also. All of which is only meant to show that people will always find something to argue about, and some excuse to degrade others. It's not the religion or philosophy that's to blame, just the nature of the human beast (or ignorant desire for sangsaric existence, if you're a Buddhist).

Last edited:

EATherrian

First Post
havard said:
For me the final straw was when they decided to merge all the sub forums of the Out of Print Settings.

Yeah, that was a great idea...

Havard

Really? I haven't been there for a while because I can't stand the graphics scheme of the site, but this is awful news. When I want to read about a setting I don't want to have to go through every other setting out there even if I like them. At least I still have canonfire, I think. ;)

Remove ads