The Failure of Gleemax

Mark Hope

Adventurer
EATherrian said:
Really? I haven't been there for a while because I can't stand the graphics scheme of the site, but this is awful news. When I want to read about a setting I don't want to have to go through every other setting out there even if I like them. At least I still have canonfire, I think. ;)
It's a bizarre decision. In almost no time at all, the various communities have started splitting off and starting up/joining world-specific forums away from the WotC site. Can't fault them. The new "Other Worlds" forum at WotC is a mess.

Delta

First Post
DarkKestral said:
I find the entire idea less amusing than.. totally bizarre and interesting, if only because I've never really heard of Buddhists going around and having such acrimonious arguments about the religion.

I think the following is an anecdote about people and not religion:

I was a philosophy major in college (also math), and there was this one guy Brian in a lot of my philosophy classes who was pretty much a hothead. One day we're in a Theories of Myth round-table class, he gets into an argument with a student on the other side of the table. They go at it, finally Brian gets up and storms out of the class in disgust.

Once he's out of the room, the professor says -- "Hey, you should have seen him before he became a Buddhist."

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Mark Hope said:
It's a bizarre decision. In almost no time at all, the various communities have started splitting off and starting up/joining world-specific forums away from the WotC site. Can't fault them. The new "Other Worlds" forum at WotC is a mess.
It was suggested on the MML, but everyone there for some reason likes the idea of starting up their own Internet community (I'm guessing because most of them have never gone through that particular headache before), but I'd like to see ENWorld open up forums for each of the "Other Worlds," with one forum per OOP TSR world.

Mark Hope

Adventurer
Whizbang Dustyboots said:
It was suggested on the MML, but everyone there for some reason likes the idea of starting up their own Internet community (I'm guessing because most of them have never gone through that particular headache before), but I'd like to see ENWorld open up forums for each of the "Other Worlds," with one forum per OOP TSR world.
That's a very cool idea. It might help to prevent the communities from fragmenting more than they already have... if such a thing is even possible.

AllisterH

First Post
I wonder if WOTC sees it the same way though.

For all the complaints, WOTC's web ranking is at 1700 and this is down from 3 months ago. WOTC.com gets hit often it seems.

dmccoy1693

Adventurer
AllisterH said:
For all the complaints, WOTC's web ranking is at 1700 and this is down from 3 months ago. WOTC.com gets hit often it seems.

One of the truths of politics: Controversey gets you noticed. Half the time I wonder if their poor marketting campaign was to generate controversey and to get people to pay attenction to the new edition (if for no other reason then to see how Wizards is going to make a social blunder that day). (i.e. would anyone would have watched Paris Hilton's show if the sex tape hadn't been "leaked" on the internet?)

Do I believe Wizards did a poor marketting campaign purposefully, no. But I do wonder about it.

To bring my comments back on topic: But poor online community software isn't a "good controversey". That is something that will cause long term problems.

Last edited:

havard

Adventurer
Whizbang Dustyboots said:

I wouldn't mind seeing that, but for now it looks like most people have either moved to world specific forum sites or to the Piazza (link in my sig). Mystara fans in particular have found their way to the latter.

Havard

Harr

First Post
I agree in general, though I gotta give them ONE thing: Their 'Rules' subforum is a a lot, and I mean A LOT, more focused than the one here.

4e Rules here might as well be called 4e General. Maybe the fragmentation over at WotC has helped in this one little solitary thing. And the all jerks seem to be attracted to the player's, dm's, and general forums. *shrug*

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Harr said:
I agree in general, though I gotta give them ONE thing: Their 'Rules' subforum is a a lot, and I mean A LOT, more focused than the one here.

4e Rules here might as well be called 4e General. Maybe the fragmentation over at WotC has helped in this one little solitary thing. And the all jerks seem to be attracted to the player's, dm's, and general forums. *shrug*
The 4E Rules Forum has been the 4E Rules Forum for about all of 10 minutes now. It WAS the 4E General forum prior to that.

A better comparison would be to look at the 3E Rules forum, if those posts all ended up on a single board after the reorganization. It was scary focused with a hardcore crowd of OCD rules types. (And I mean that in the best way possible.)

Remove ads