• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Failure of Gleemax

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
havard said:
I wouldn't mind seeing that, but for now it looks like most people have either moved to world specific forum sites or to the Piazza (link in my sig). Mystara fans in particular have found their way to the latter.
Mystara fans who ever went back to WotC's boards, anyway.

I think anyone trying to make sure the OOP settings became so obscure that they were sure to die off would definitely do well to steer clear of the largest RPG fan site around.

GuardianLurker

Adventurer
Actually, my understanding is that Radiant Machine isn't a new company. Rather, it's Fluid Entertainment with a renaming/rebranding. And since Fluid's the company that gave us E-Tools and the D&D 2e Core Rules toolset, well...

Gleemax actually functions better than I expected. And I share the general opinion of its current state.

BadMojo

First Post
Duvall said:
Radiant Machine is a spin off of SolutionsIQ, an IT services firm.

Solutions IQ Spins Off Radiant Machine

I hope they were working cheap.

That press release is actually pretty hilarious. So much mutual smoke blown up fundaments it's the corporate world at it's best. I get to read these at work a lot, and they're always a source of unintentional humor

Company A: "Hey, you know what? We're really great. We're getting ready to do some really amazing stuff that's going to blow your mind. We can't give you any details, but trust me it's great and we're great too."

Company B: "Yeah. You sure are a great bunch of guys. Tall, handsome and what a magnificent head of hair you've got. We're great too and I can't wait for us to collaborate and do some Really Awesome Stuff."

So, we're approaching the release of a the biggest product Wizards has put out in close to a decade AND...the Gleemax website looks like someone started it and forgot to finish a quarter of the way in. I remember looking at Gleemax many months ago and figuring that it would get better and I just gave them the benefit of the doubt. For a few seconds, I actually thought the thing might turn out to be pretty cool (I thought that about the Character Gen program that came with the first 3.0 PHB too)

At least the impending failure of the chat software seems to be etched in stone. Not all is confusion and disarray, they've got one thing that should happen on schedule.

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
havard said:
For me the final straw was when they decided to merge all the sub forums of the Out of Print Settings.

Yeah, that was a great idea...

Havard
Yes, that was one of the first things I noticed. And I hated it instantly. I have no use for Gleemax.

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Whizbang Dustyboots said:
It was suggested on the MML, but everyone there for some reason likes the idea of starting up their own Internet community (I'm guessing because most of them have never gone through that particular headache before), but I'd like to see ENWorld open up forums for each of the "Other Worlds," with one forum per OOP TSR world.
That would be great; however, I don't think it will ever happen. WotC just doesn't care enough about the old settings. The only way we'll see a OOP TSR world get its own forum is if WotC decides to update one of them for 4e. And I don't have any interest in 4e, so that's no good.

Duvall said:
Radiant Machine is a spin off of SolutionsIQ, an IT services firm.

Solutions IQ Spins Off Radiant Machine

Quote from that article:

"Wizards of the Coast looks forward to continuing our relationship with the Radiant Machine team," said Randy Buehler, vice president of Digital Games for Wizards of the Coast. "It is very gratifying to work in such a collaborative fashion with a technology partner," said Buehler. The Radiant Machine team has shown an exceptional enthusiasm and grasp of our business objectives," said Buehler.

My bolding. WotC has obviously worked with them before - probably under a different name since nobody had heard of Radiant Machine before Gleemax. Wouldn't be at all surprised if they WERE Fluid with new hats on, actually.

Brown Jenkin

First Post
humble minion said:
The Radiant Machine team has shown an exceptional enthusiasm and grasp of our business objectives," said Buehler.

Well they may have a grasp of WotC's business objectives, too bad they don't know how to make a product that meets those objectives.

Delta

First Post
humble minion said:
My bolding. WotC has obviously worked with them before - probably under a different name since nobody had heard of Radiant Machine before Gleemax. Wouldn't be at all surprised if they WERE Fluid with new hats on, actually.

You're reading too much into that. The statement is true if they've been working with them for even 1 day beforehand.

You should get evidence that they were Fluid before making up silly rumors.

Remove ads