The Fall of Plaguestone

gargoyleking

Adventurer
Galahad frowns as his slingstone flies right through the apparition with no obvious effect.

"I don't know if I can hurt this thing! I'll try to distract it for anyone who can!

With that, he drops the sling and draws his sword. Not knowing quite why the ghost had picked him out as a primary target he does his best to distract it, feinting in with his rapier in order to give somebody else a boost to their attack. Then before it can attack again he brings his buckler up once more for the little it may or may not do for him.

Free: drop sling
1: Draw rapier
2: prepare an Aid action with rapier attack? Aid: 1d20+6 19 ('typical DC' is 20 so fail?
3: Raise buckler
Eww, a ghost at 1st level? Not sure if I could even hit it with an alchemical bomb.[/color]

CharlotteOz

Explorer
OOC: I'll take your word for hit points. Is Lavine at 8 HP with the healing, or 12?

Lavina sensed that there was little even astute mastery of the halfling martial arts could bring to bear, and so she focused on assisting Silvi's divine lance, also acting as a distraction as she danced around the ghost, trying to maneuver it into position.

OOC: I'm not 100% sure how an Aid Another in this sense would work, but it's all I can think to do unless someone wants to go looking for a means of banishing this ghost.

Air Another (DC20): 1d20+7 22

Seems to be a success!

FitzTheRuke

Legend
It was a very near thing, but Hiromi showed her dancer's flexibility as she leaned back, just out of the way of the ghost's strike. Then she lunged back at it with her sword and dagger in quick stabbing thrusts. Her sword was right on target, but her off-hand dagger thrusts passed through the creature and threw her off balance, though she made even that look graceful.

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
Etran’s Folly (Plaguestone)
Summer/Day 2/1635
Weather: 10 degrees cooler than normal (warm), no wind, light rain
Round 3

OOC: Lavinia is at 12 HP by my count. For Galahad, since your Aid was an attack roll, I’m just going to use the ghost’s AC of 18 as the DC, so you got a success on the Aid.

Silvi’s divine lance struck the ghost true, but didn’t seem to do as much damage as she’d thought it should.

Galahad abandoned his sling and drew his rapier, holding his attack until an opportune time to distract the ghost while another struck. Lavinia seemed to have the same idea.

Hiromi’s rapier hits the ghost, but didn’t seem to damage it. The ghost didn’t seem to have vital areas to hit. (OOC: No precision/sneak attack damage), and her dagger attacks caught only air.

ROUND 4

The ghost of Talmore reached out to Lavinia. It’s hand went into her chest, stopping her heart.

OOC: Lavinia takes 14 negative damage and goes down (Dying 1).

Then the ghost floated over to Silvi, touching her with its ghostly hand.

OOC: Silvi takes 18 negative damage.

PLAYERS ARE UP!

You know ghosts tend to be tied to certain locations or objects. Since it is unlikely that the ghost of a fallen Lastwall paladin is tied to a half-fallen hut in Etran’s Folly, there is likely some object it is tied to. You know that a ritual can banish the ghost, and some ghosts can be appeased.

Find the killer
  • Question Amora
  • Question Phinick
    • Find Phinick
  • Question Trin

Help Delma out with her father, the mayor

Action: Attack Lavinia
Ghostly hand at Lavinia: 1D20+11 = [19]+11 = 30
2D6 = [2, 5] = 7

Critical: Damage 14
Action: Stride to Silvi
Action: Attack Silvi
Ghostly hand at Silvi: 1D20+7 = [10]+7 = 17
2D6 = [6, 5] = 11

Initiative
Talmore 15

Lavinia 19
Silvi 18
Hiromi 10
Galahad 9

Silvi AC 13 HP 8/19 Immune 8r; shield
Galahad AC 18 HP 12/15 Engaged with ghost
Hiromi AC 17 HP 17/17 Engaged with ghost
Lavina AC 20 HP 0/19 Immune 8r, engaged with ghost; Dying 1

Talmore AC 18 HP 14/20

Party XP: 150

Kaodi

Hero
Silvi panics. The holy symbol of Desna glows warmly around her neck and she grasps is as she points towards the fallen Lavinia, willing for the magical energy to revive the halfling. And once it flows out of her she screams shrilly "Run for your lives!" as she beats a hasty retreat out of the building.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
With her weapons unable to effectively harm the creature, while it appeared to have no difficulty harming her friends, Hiromi was no longer able to contain her shaking knees. When the others ran, she did as well.

When they were safely away, she asked, "Was that... a ghost? I have heard tales that these spirits are bound to an object. Perhaps we can find it, rather than face the creature. I would very much not like to face that creature again. Are you okay, Lavina?"

Last edited:

CharlotteOz

Explorer
"Gah - " Lavina sucked in a huge breath, and coughed. "T-thanks."

She rose, unsteadily, to her feet. "Whatever it was, we can't beat with weapons. We'll have to find another way. If it is a ghost, don't ghosts have some condition keeping them chained to the plane of the living?"

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
Etran’s Folly (Plaguestone)
Summer/Day 2/1640
Weather: 10 degrees cooler than normal (warm), no wind, light rain
Round 0

Silvi managed to close most of Lavinia’s wounds and called a retreat, running out the door of the hovel. The others quickly followed. The ghost, however, did not. It slowly faded away after a time.

Sir Lawrence Krent sat in the uncut grass in the light rain, muttering and rocking himself, often drinking from a flask. “Talmore...I’m so sorry...so sorry...so sorry…”

"Was that... a ghost? I have heard tales that these spirits are bound to an object. Perhaps we can find it, rather than face the creature. I would very much not like to face that creature again,”
Hiromi said.

“If it is a ghost, don't ghosts have some condition keeping them chained to the plane of the living?" Lavinia asked.

“Vengeance,” Sir Lawrence murmured. “Vengeance on me...for my cowardice…” He started weeping.

Find the killer
  • Question Amora
  • Question Phinick
    • Find Phinick
  • Question Trin

Help Delma out with her father, the mayor

Action:
Action:
Action:

Initiative
Talmore 15

Lavinia 19
Silvi 18
Hiromi 10
Galahad 9

Silvi AC 13 HP 8/19 Immune 7r; shield
Galahad AC 18 HP 12/15 Engaged with ghost
Hiromi AC 17 HP 17/17 Engaged with ghost
Lavina AC 20 HP 15/19 Immune 7r, engaged with ghost; Wounded 1

Talmore AC 18 HP 14/20

Party XP: 150

Kaodi

Hero
Once they had retreated to a safe distance Silvi stopped and bent over, putting her hands on her knees, as she wheezed and tried to catch her breath. Whatever that spirit did to her with its touch she did not like! After a moment she stands up straight again and wipes a bit of rainwater from her brow and then goes to plop down besides Sir Lawrence on the damp grass.

"Maybe you should start at the beginning," she says to the weeping man. She does not sound cross, but the tone of her suggestion lacks a bit of her characteristic cheeriness too. The gnome looks up at the grey sky for a moment as she sits.

Remove ads