D&D 5E The Fighter and Arcana

Ashrym

Legend
As something a bit different from the more recent threads, I thought I would point this gem out to anyone who did not realize it yet. It also applies to any class, but for those who want to do some downtime work on the fighter this is a legit option.

• Pick up proficiency in arcana.
  • Pick up proficiency in artisan tools.
  • Make your own magic items.

Page 128 of XGtE starts with crafting items during downtime and spell casting is not a requirement. A fighter can pick up proficiency in smith's tools and arcana (the actual requirement for crafting magic items) to make weapons and armor. 5e uses a recipe method for magic items so it's critical to find that recipe and hunt down those components first, but common and uncommon magic items are not particularly time consuming or expensive in the crafting process.

The table on page 129 of XGtE does not include brewing healing potions or scribing spell scrolls. Healing potions can be crafted with proficiency in the herbalism kit as per the PHB, but page 130 of XGtE expands on the list to include healing potions not on the standard equipment list. The arcana skill is not needed for healing potions. Stock up during downtime.

If the fighter has spells available, such as with the Eldritch Knight, then the arcana skill also allows scribing scrolls for the fighter. The fighter might not have a lot of spells available, but the ones he or she might have can be scribed into a scroll for a relatively low investment in time and money.

The bottom line is the fighter will never be an artificer, but the fighter can discover (find or research) magical formulae for crafting magic items. If you want your fighter to craft and stock up on potions then learn brewing, arcana, and herbalism. Stock up on potions and play a little Witcher style in the fighter. If you want your fighter to craft a special family blade to hand down through the generations then learn smithing and arcana. You can even work with the DM on something original that's not in the DMG to come up with the formula and quest to find the ingredients. That can go so far as learning to craft rings LotR style.

Fighters don't need to just swing swords. ;)

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
Now that Battlemaster with his ribbon proficiency in Smith's Tools is laughing all the way to the bank. I make the sword, I enchant the sword, suck it, Elminster!

Fighters are kind of a vanilla class, flavor-wise: it doesn't do much on it's own, but it goes well with everything. You can add pretty much anything to a fighter and make it work, but if you add nothing they're kind of dull.

Whether this is a pro or a con is up to you.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
Actually, you only need proficiency in the tool OR Arcana, not both. :)

1588252044806.png

The text never mentions needing Arcana proficiency nor does it ever call for a check.

All you need is:
  • proficiency in the tool or proficiency in Arcana
  • your list of required materials
  • your adventure to get the items and/or learn the "recipe"
  • money to pay for the costs in creating the item
  • the time to craft it

Follow the steps, live through the adventure, spend the time and money. Done.

G

Guest 6801328

Fighters are kind of a vanilla class, flavor-wise: it doesn't do much on it's own, but it goes well with everything. You can add pretty much anything to a fighter and make it work, but if you add nothing they're kind of dull.

Whether this is a pro or a con is up to you.

I think they're the bacon class, because everything is better with bacon.

But bacon is also pretty great on its own.

Oofta

Legend
In a previous campaign my fighter spent significant portions of his down time making things for himself and the group. He was a smith at heart (like his mother) and was happiest at the forge.

Mostly an RP thing but still fun.

Ashrym

Legend
Actually, you only need proficiency in the tool OR Arcana, not both. :)

View attachment 121552

The text never mentions needing Arcana proficiency nor does it ever call for a check.

All you need is:
  • proficiency in the tool or proficiency in Arcana
  • your list of required materials
  • your adventure to get the items and/or learn the "recipe"
  • money to pay for the costs in creating the item
  • the time to craft it

Follow the steps, live through the adventure, spend the time and money. Done.

No, it never calls for a check. That's up to the DM and might include things like recalling potential ingredients that might work as part of an adventure gathering those ingredients. Arcana covers recalling lore about magic items.

Here are the relevant rules:

XGtE page 128 said:
Creating a magic item require more than just time, effort, and materials. It is a long-term process that involves one or more adventures to track down rare materials and the lore needed to create the item.

PHB page 177 said:
Your Intelligence (Arcana) check measures your ability to recall lore about spells, magic items, eldritch symbols, magical traditions, the planes of existence, and the inhabitants of those planes.

The arcana proficiency is important to the quest portion. It's also required for magic items the fighter might be helping with where he or she is not actively creating the base item. Arcana is part of the creation in the final step when the fighter hires an artisan to help create something the fighter does not have those proficiencies to craft. Finally, page 133 of XGtE does specify the requirement for arcana to craft scrolls (getting back to EK's).

TLDR: arcana or tools can be used in the final step of the process for items, but arcana is important to the initial step as well if that was not clear.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
No, it never calls for a check. That's up to the DM and might include things like recalling potential ingredients that might work as part of an adventure gathering those ingredients. Arcana covers recalling lore about magic items.

Here are the relevant rules:

Well, of course the DM can always impose a check, but according to the text it isn't needed.

1588263963527.png

Those "requirements" are the ones I listed in my other post; i.e. adventures to discover what you need and obtain it, proficiency in a tool or arcana, money, and time. :)

Again, no checks required. DM can impose them, but that is not essential to the process or its result.

The arcana proficiency is important to the quest portion. It's also required for magic items the fighter might be helping with where he or she is not actively creating the base item. Arcana is part of the creation in the final step when the fighter hires an artisan to help create something the fighter does not have those proficiencies to craft. Finally, page 133 of XGtE does specify the requirement for arcana to craft scrolls (getting back to EK's).

TLDR: arcana or tools can be used in the final step of the process for items, but arcana is important to the initial step as well if that was not clear.

The arcana is not important to the quest, the quest is what leads you to the information or recipe you need. If arcana provided it, there would be no need to adventure for it. After all, recalling lore is not necessarily the same as discovering the recipe.

That is crafting SPELL scrolls, a different thing obviously, so please stick to the topic.

As per your own quote finding the lore is part of the adventure. "It is a long-term process that involves one or more adventures to track down the rare materials and the lore needed to create the item."

SHOW ME where, under crafting items, Arcana is noted as part of the final step or anywhere else other than an alternative to the required tool proficiency. ;)

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases