D&D 5E The Final Announcement from The Descent Live Stream: Eberron Hardcover

The final announcement at the end of The Descent stream is a hardcover book for the Eberron setting!

The final announcement at the end of The Descent stream is a hardcover book for the Eberron setting!
No details have been announced, but Nathan Stewart closed out the live stream event for The Descent by proclaiming the final book out this year would be a hardcover setting book for Eberron.

Darryl Mott

Darryl Mott

Satyrn

First Post
I can't really say I'm excited for it (then again, I'm also just not a happy person), but I may buy it just on general principal since it's not more FR stuff.

Yeah, this is what my Mearls-in-the-box (with a gun!) joke was for. I was commiserating with my fellow hobbyists since so many of us find reasons to buy a book that aren't just really wanting what's in the book itself.

I have several 5e books that I've done nothing with. And I have dozens of 3e books despite playing "core only" for nearly its entire lifespan.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Continuing their glacial pace.

The "glacial pace" seems to really work from a business perspective. You want them to move away from a pattern that seems to make good business sense?

I mean, we are talking about settings for a game that is itself a rehash - yet another edition of D&D. It appears to be a stupendously successful rehash, however.

What I don't understand is how some fans can be happy with, and actively defend, how they sell the same thing more than once.

1) Mechanics have changed. Wanting setting mechanics that are designed to work with the current edition mechanics should not be difficult to understand.

2) Given what we have come to think about the amazingly solid sales of the core books, it is hard to think that they haven't been adding a whole lot of players in recent years - players who haven't been exposed to the setting. To them, this is not really a rehash. It shouldn't be hard to understand giving new players a thing that this new to them.

3) Again, I think there's a good business perspective argument to be made here. Updating old, but proven, properties is less risky than new material. Though I personally don't care about Eberron itself, the fact that it has a draw seems quite solid. This should also not be difficult to understand.

The idea they would give us a whole new setting out of nowhere simply isn't the business WotC is in any longer.

They haven't really been in that business... really since the end of 2e, two decades ago in the mid 1990s.

The patterns of the period where they put out frequent new settings were a financial ruin for TSR. Compared to how this "glacial pace" seems to be serving them well. You really want to argue with success?

I have to say that while this is not entirely unexpected, it is slightly disappointing for me. I was really hoping for something like Planescape, SpellJammer or even (I know...really remote) Dragonlance.

Ah well. Maybe next year.

MechaPilot

Explorer
Yeah, this is what my Mearls-in-the-box (with a gun!) joke was for. I was commiserating with my fellow hobbyists since so many of us find reasons to buy a book that aren't just really wanting what's in the book itself.

I have several 5e books that I've done nothing with. And I have dozens of 3e books despite playing "core only" for nearly its entire lifespan.

I don't need my Mearls-in-a-box to have a gun. I have enough of my own. Besides, I spend far too much time contemplating using them on myself anyway.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
Eberron is my favorite setting.

Did I need a new hardcover? Nope. Am I happy to buy one? Absolutely.

Honestly, I'm down for pretty much any book that isn't an adventure.

bedir than

Full Moon Storyteller
The best-selling book on DMs Guild is a rounding error for D&D. It sells about 10% of what hardcovers do.

Of course a popular setting with near-final development is going to be a hardcover. It's the best way for a significant amount of players to be exposed to the setting.

jgsugden

Legend
Anyone want to count the number of Eberron hardcovers released when Eberron first went to print?

If the books are worth my money, I buy them. If not, I do not. I hve a good amount of solid crunch to run Eberron now and there are a lot of older books out there (and in my hands) to provide me with the story elements I'd want. Nothing more is necessary.

Remove ads

Remove ads