The Forge of War

cignus_pfaccari

First Post
SecondTime said:
Bingo. No individual has one identity, and often identities are confused and distorted. The Church could be an overall force for good, but that does not mean its adherents always do good deeds or that the faith wouldn't be used to justify and perpetuate awful acts.

Indeed. In wartime, things get out of hand pretty easily, especially if you're busy with other things and have a hard time reining in your fanatics.

OTOH, mounds of skulls are often frighteningly effective.

I'm very much looking forward to this, and I'll have to remember to stop by my FLGS tomorrow or Thursday.

Brad

joela

First Post
Mournlands

Tzarevitch said:
Ok. I got the book now and I am VERY pleased. There are over 30 pages on the ebb and flow of the Last War, filled with battles and shifting alliances. There is info on the war machines, military units of all the Galifar successor states, and war battlefields. There are a few new spells, plenty of magic items and a couple of new creatures.

There is even a new warforged, the Warforged Raptor, which is basically an airborne version of the warforged titan. Think of it as a bomber. I haven't had time to read it in depth yet, but as I said before I am VERY pleased. My kudos to the authors.

Tzarevitch

I almost hate to ask, but does the book hint strongly as to the cause of the destruction of Cyre and the creation of the Mournlands? Or it's still left to the DM's discretion?

joela said:
I almost hate to ask, but does the book hint strongly as to the cause of the destruction of Cyre and the creation of the Mournlands? Or it's still left to the DM's discretion?

The latter. There may be a few new theories put forth (I don't recall for certain), but if so, they're expressly just that: theories. No concrete answers on that, no "This is how it happened," not even any "This is officially how it probably happened."

joela

First Post
Mournland - The Cause

Mouseferatu said:
The latter. There may be a few new theories put forth (I don't recall for certain), but if so, they're expressly just that: theories. No concrete answers on that, no "This is how it happened," not even any "This is officially how it probably happened."

Suspected as much. I can imagine any "official" cause would ignite an uproar across the boards. :]

Thanks!

BadMojo

First Post
From reading the thread on WotC boards, the comments made by Ari and Keith (I'm sure both can explain this better than I can) seemed to make it a point to mention that the bits about the Silver Flame seemed like too much, too quickly to fit with the already published material about the Church and Thrane.

I believe Keith pointed out that it was a very drastic swing in fundamental behavior of an entire population that happened very quickly (20 years in to the war, I believe). If there were other root causes preceding the War, I don't think they've been detailed.

I don't have a huge problem with it personally, but I also probably would just leave it out of my game since it just doesn't quite seem to "fit".

SecondTime

First Post
BadMojo said:
From reading the thread on WotC boards, the comments made by Ari and Keith (I'm sure both can explain this better than I can) seemed to make it a point to mention that the bits about the Silver Flame seemed like too much, too quickly to fit with the already published material about the Church and Thrane.

I believe Keith pointed out that it was a very drastic swing in fundamental behavior of an entire population that happened very quickly (20 years in to the war, I believe). If there were other root causes preceding the War, I don't think they've been detailed.

I don't have a huge problem with it personally, but I also probably would just leave it out of my game since it just doesn't quite seem to "fit".

These fundemental swings happen all the time. If Keith intended that Thrane was a peaceful, good natured paradise before the war, and that individual communities or individuals did not often go too far when undergoing localized stress, than quite frankly I find that creativley wanting. If this is a change from his intention, than it is one for the better.

And root causes do not need to be exhausitivly detailed simply for some simple minded readers not to assume that individuals that commit evil acts are not evil, or to fill in the blanks of history that anyone who knows anything about actual human history should be able to surmise themselves.

Volaran

First Post
SecondTime said:
These fundemental swings happen all the time. If Keith intended that Thrane was a peaceful, good natured paradise before the war, and that individual communities or individuals did not often go too far when undergoing localized stress, than quite frankly I find that creativley wanting. If this is a change from his intention, than it is one for the better.

And root causes do not need to be exhausitivly detailed simply for some simple minded readers not to assume that individuals that commit evil acts are not evil, or to fill in the blanks of history that anyone who knows anything about actual human history should be able to surmise themselves.

That really doesn't cover what Keith describes at all. I can only recommend taking a look at that thread. Whether or not you agree with his position, it is enjoyable, Eberron-related reading.

SecondTime

First Post
Volaran said:
That really doesn't cover what Keith describes at all. I can only recommend taking a look at that thread. Whether or not you agree with his position, it is enjoyable, Eberron-related reading.

What he more or less said was that bad behavior in Thrane was exceptional, and tended not to happen in groups. I think that is just unrealistic and silly.

Volaran

First Post
SecondTime said:
What he more or less said was that bad behavior in Thrane was exceptional, and tended not to happen in groups. I think that is just unrealistic and silly.

I really would prefer to not go over points that I feel he has made quite clearly over there, but my understanding is that the widespread nature of this is inconsistent with how Thrane and the Flame in general has been portrayed (though Thaliost in Five Nations is also discussed in this light), and that is something I would certainly agree with.

If you enjoy how widespread the Convulsions of the Flame are portrayed, by all means, don't let anyone interfere with that.

Remove ads